Mosquito Madness at the Mouse

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Mosquito Madness at the Mouse

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Did anyone else see the story reported in the Orlando Sentinal that "Walt Disney World is draining and filling in the pool at its long-closed River Country water park"? They are also making insect repellent available to guests.
I saw several comments that stated they had never received a bug bite while on property before. I can't say I remember one way or another, but even if I hadn't gotten bit, we almost always go in late November through December so not a prime bug season anyhow. I think WDW is pretty proactive on spraying the property for insects already.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Mosquito Madness at the Mouse

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 27, 2016 8:16 pm

My guess is because Zika has been confirmed in the state, the vector control board for the state made it mandatory that all properties (regardless of existing protections) drain standing water.

Throw in that this disease has longer lasting implications, probably a good plan to cover your bases less someone has a kid with the deformities that could be plausibly traced back to the WDW property.

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Aug Sun 28, 2016 12:57 am

I agree it's probably because of the possibility of Zika. I never remember mosquito's or other bites at WDW. I think they are very proactive on spraying and keeping it low.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Apparently this is being done at all the theme parks in Orlando (since tourism in big for the area), all the parks have signage and are offering free repellent. One thing that is interesting is how no one is using the word "Zika" on any of the signs and only on one page for WDW do they even note it.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 01, 2016 9:16 am

I live in Miami... the supposed Zika center, and we have had no problems down here with anyone I know. Not even in the newspaper daily anymore. The Media (go figure) really hype things up, and gets people going crazy. All it really means is that WDW is slower than usual and that's just fine with me.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 01, 2016 1:14 pm

It just sounds like Disney taking the necessary proactive steps (probably some of which are required by the state) to do the best at preventing the spread of Zika. I will say that Disney pest management is really busy and they do a lot of spraying that we don't ever know about or see during third shift... unless you happen to be on a bus coming back from the Magic Kingdom at 2AM :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Thu 01, 2016 5:57 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I live in Miami... the supposed Zika center, and we have had no problems down here with anyone I know. Not even in the newspaper daily anymore. The Media (go figure) really hype things up, and gets people going crazy. All it really means is that WDW is slower than usual and that's just fine with me.
It is one of the big news stories on every night on the news up here. So glad it isn't as bad as they are making it seem!
Len90 wrote:It just sounds like Disney taking the necessary proactive steps (probably some of which are required by the state) to do the best at preventing the spread of Zika. I will say that Disney pest management is really busy and they do a lot of spraying that we don't ever know about or see during third shift... unless you happen to be on a bus coming back from the Magic Kingdom at 2AM :D
Yes, I believe their pest management is really on top of things. They have the various beneficial bugs that eat other pesky bugs as well as the chemical sprays too.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Well... outdoor bugs at least. :D Still can't seem to fix the bedbug problem.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Fri 02, 2016 10:34 am

Yeah, I'm sure it's Zika-related. I can remember vividly getting bitten 4-5 times while standing at the exit/viewing area of Big Thunder during a September trip.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 02, 2016 2:17 pm

That is very surprising, especially when they are so proactive inside the parks. I would have expected it to be like DLR where there is no standing water. There is a "pond" near our BTM but it too runs through the same filters that the river does (they are connected) so there is no smell or insect issues.