Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

WDW removes Steven Tyler gesture from Preshow

Post by Metalfan » Aug Wed 17, 2016 1:42 pm

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: WDW removes Steven Tyler gesture from Preshow

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Aug Wed 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Wow--I can't believe after all this time they finally did something. It never bothered me, but I can see how someone might be uncomfortable with it. Who knows....I guess its the world we live in.
But why wait 17 years!?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Wed 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Because Universal got mad that a Marvel brand was appearing in a WDW park and demanded the Shocker be removed. :D

Anyway, considering they removed the photo shortly after launch (same gesture), my guess is that between waiting for tech to get good enough, probably getting approval from Tyler to modify his image, and having better uses for the resources, it kept getting kicked down the road, but now that they are going to be adding in major expansions it probably came up on the "Must fix" list.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 8:55 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Because Universal got mad that a Marvel brand was appearing in a WDW park and demanded the Shocker be removed. :D

Anyway, considering they removed the photo shortly after launch (same gesture), my guess is that between waiting for tech to get good enough, probably getting approval from Tyler to modify his image, and having better uses for the resources, it kept getting kicked down the road, but now that they are going to be adding in major expansions it probably came up on the "Must fix" list.
I don't see how Tyler approved the change given his response on social media. I personally take it more along the lines of waiting for technology to improve and really hoping that a vast majority never read about it or pick up on it.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 20, 2016 10:21 am

Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Because Universal got mad that a Marvel brand was appearing in a WDW park and demanded the Shocker be removed. :D

I don't see how Tyler approved the change given his response on social media. I personally take it more along the lines of waiting for technology to improve and really hoping that a vast majority never read about it or pick up on it.
I saw his response as well ~ I was thinking the same thing that he didn't have to give his approval. Strange to change it after all this time, but I suppose it doesn't hurt anything, and if it helps the few people that might have been offended then it was worth it. The technology makes it a pretty smooth looking transition.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 1:40 pm

Yeah... you can pull that with anyone other than band members... well pretty much anyone other that him and Joe Perry, since they are not quite as famous (yes, some did rise up but none are that famous).

The funny thing is that if someone is offended by it, they would need to know what it means, and if they know what it means and are offended by it then that is weird they would devote time to looking it up.

I'm still leaning on that they are doing spot checks on everything so that the whole park is in a good place for when the new stuff opens, especially if they are going to have Toy Story and Star Wars lands open together.

It is still a dangerous game they are playing since the band is still alive and they presumably still need to work with the brand to license the music, names, likenesses, etc. for the rides. Aside from making the frontman angry, you also could turn off other bands if they were to try and update the ride with a new group. Performers can get really angry when you edit their work without consent.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah... you can pull that with anyone other than band members... well pretty much anyone other that him and Joe Perry, since they are not quite as famous (yes, some did rise up but none are that famous).

The funny thing is that if someone is offended by it, they would need to know what it means, and if they know what it means and are offended by it then that is weird they would devote time to looking it up.

I'm still leaning on that they are doing spot checks on everything so that the whole park is in a good place for when the new stuff opens, especially if they are going to have Toy Story and Star Wars lands open together.

It is still a dangerous game they are playing since the band is still alive and they presumably still need to work with the brand to license the music, names, likenesses, etc. for the rides. Aside from making the frontman angry, you also could turn off other bands if they were to try and update the ride with a new group. Performers can get really angry when you edit their work without consent.
I think Disney has licensing for some more years to come with the ride and the music. The big changes are coming with the gift shop afterwards. The merchandise is moving away from Aerosmith and becoming more Disney oriented but still ride specific. The current situation with DHS is pretty tough. The park is basically a main area with three dead ends (sunset, Pixar, Muppets). The number of remaining attractions is pretty low (ToT, RnR, Midway Mania, TGMR, Star Tours, Muppetvision, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, and some temporary Star Wars shows plus the Frozen show). All in all not much to do at the park as it goes through its reimagination. As it stands right now one can easily accomplish the park in one day with the only draw for two nights being the Star Wars Fireworks and Fantasmic occurring at the same time starting next week (fantastic at 8:30 and Star Wars at 8:45).
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 9:39 pm

The key though is that when you license anything, the source gets final say if you are going to edit anything. In this case, it sounds like Tyler did not give approval, if his people did give the green light then that is a problem on his side, if Disney did it without approval that is going to be a bigger problem.

You are being way too generous with the park though, TGMR, Mermaid, Muppets, Indy, B&B, and Fantasmic (if you have seen the original) are complete passes. Star Tours is a pass too if you have seen it anywhere else. Haven't seen the fireworks, but that may also be a pass.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The key though is that when you license anything, the source gets final say if you are going to edit anything. In this case, it sounds like Tyler did not give approval, if his people did give the green light then that is a problem on his side, if Disney did it without approval that is going to be a bigger problem.

You are being way too generous with the park though, TGMR, Mermaid, Muppets, Indy, B&B, and Fantasmic (if you have seen the original) are complete passes. Star Tours is a pass too if you have seen it anywhere else. Haven't seen the fireworks, but that may also be a pass.
But you can't just write off attractions and shows like that. Different people like different things. Muppets is a must do for us, and while I probably won't get F1gment on TGMR after the incident from our last trip, I would want to go on it again. And the interest only increases when you know things are going to be changed ~ like both of those attractions will be changing in the near future for example. Indy and B&B are on our "ok to skip" list, but we love Fantastmic, and the fact that you pretty much can't get in without a FP or standing in line for at least 30-45 minutes before the show starts shows how popular that show still is. But I would have to agree with people that say DHS is a one day park at the moment. And I can only imagine the crowds that gather in the dead ends if they aren't paying attention and don't look up until they realize they have to turn around and go back the way they came from.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 21, 2016 12:10 pm

If the numbers are not able to support it, then yes you can easily write off any attraction. For example, Horizons closed because too few wanted to ride it.

The reason I still stand by that most of the attractions in DHS are passes is that they are either boring shows, the same thing we have locally, or something that is done better locally. The biggest problem with the park is that it tries to do a lot of things, but it struggled to do anything well. The resistance/inability to change also did not help, such as GMR using such dated content that that pretty much the entire ride is one big disconnect. Did they ever stop trying to claim they were wrapping up filming for Raiders?

Universal recognized that the film industry aspect of the parks was fading and started moving away from it over a decade ago.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If the numbers are not able to support it, then yes you can easily write off any attraction. For example, Horizons closed because too few wanted to ride it.

The reason I still stand by that most of the attractions in DHS are passes is that they are either boring shows, the same thing we have locally, or something that is done better locally. The biggest problem with the park is that it tries to do a lot of things, but it struggled to do anything well. The resistance/inability to change also did not help, such as GMR using such dated content that that pretty much the entire ride is one big disconnect. Did they ever stop trying to claim they were wrapping up filming for Raiders?

Universal recognized that the film industry aspect of the parks was fading and started moving away from it over a decade ago.
I don't deny that DHS has struggled with attractions and shows, but I will agree to disagree on whether or not I personally like something. No, one or two people aren't going to make the difference, and there will be change, hopefully for the better!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Mon 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If the numbers are not able to support it, then yes you can easily write off any attraction. For example, Horizons closed because too few wanted to ride it.

Okay so then write off TGMR which had a 25-30 minute wait all week long when I was there? Right now a lot of changes are happening at DHS and you'll see them finally get the park into better shape. Disney is now finally making that move away from the filming aspect and it is quite evident with the closures of Backlot Tour, LMA, NY street, etc. Muppetvision is not going anywhere as you're going to see the expansion of muppet's courtyard as Pizza Planet gets a muppet theming. I still think there can be something tied to movies, it just has to keep to movies that are timeless
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Wait time is meaningless when the hourly volume is low. Considering it is going to have dramatic changes that get rid of the terrible design, it will be a welcome departure considering it is housed in the showcase building.

The problem is... timeless films are not even timeless. Audience appeal for the films in the ride now range from "IDGAF" to "That is the movie my old aunt tried to make us watch". That isn't exclusive to the ride though, it isn't like the masses are pining to go watch Gone with the Wind. While you could say something about not going for large market appeal, it is a theme park attraction, where that is critical.

I wouldn't be surprised to see muppets getting a reduction in their expansion, if not outright removal considering the attempt at a tv series tanked, the films did ok, but nothing sustainable, and HBO now owns sesame street. Though, can't wait for the Game of Thrones treatment on that, they had the blood letting a few weeks back now bring on the boobies. :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Tue 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Wait time is meaningless when the hourly volume is low. Considering it is going to have dramatic changes that get rid of the terrible design, it will be a welcome departure considering it is housed in the showcase building.

The problem is... timeless films are not even timeless. Audience appeal for the films in the ride now range from "IDGAF" to "That is the movie my old aunt tried to make us watch". That isn't exclusive to the ride though, it isn't like the masses are pining to go watch Gone with the Wind. While you could say something about not going for large market appeal, it is a theme park attraction, where that is critical.

I wouldn't be surprised to see muppets getting a reduction in their expansion, if not outright removal considering the attempt at a tv series tanked, the films did ok, but nothing sustainable, and HBO now owns sesame street. Though, can't wait for the Game of Thrones treatment on that, they had the blood letting a few weeks back now bring on the boobies. :D
How can hourly volume be low if the attractions are running at full capacity with full vehicle? TGMR was running both A and B shows throughout only cutting down to B show before closing. I agree that the attraction needs changing but don't you think you can change out some of the sets to keep it fresh. I know Disney never did that but wouldn't it be an easier fix?
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Wed 24, 2016 5:02 pm

As in the entire ride, when running at max, is still only putting through a fraction of what other rides do. Toy Story also has a similar problem, since the capacity of the ride is not as great, and it has constant stops for the show, it has a lower throughput.

For GMR? Scene changes will not cut it, the storytelling method is awkward and dull. While it tries to be immersive, it still falls into the category of telling a story at you rather than to you. The other issue is that licensing (even for their own films) and refreshing the ride regularly for their own films is costly and slow. Which ties to one of the reasons you don't see content updates and overlays at WDW too frequently, as they are generally a once in a decade/lifetime visit for a large majority of the customers, they want to keep things up as long as possible.