All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: WDW removes Steven Tyler gesture from Preshow

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 01, 2016 9:18 am

I didn't know it was a vulgar gesture until I looked it up. OMG
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Thu 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:As in the entire ride, when running at max, is still only putting through a fraction of what other rides do. Toy Story also has a similar problem, since the capacity of the ride is not as great, and it has constant stops for the show, it has a lower throughput.

For GMR? Scene changes will not cut it, the storytelling method is awkward and dull. While it tries to be immersive, it still falls into the category of telling a story at you rather than to you. The other issue is that licensing (even for their own films) and refreshing the ride regularly for their own films is costly and slow. Which ties to one of the reasons you don't see content updates and overlays at WDW too frequently, as they are generally a once in a decade/lifetime visit for a large majority of the customers, they want to keep things up as long as possible.
True to an extent. I fully agree with you on the current way the attraction is set up with the audio spiel the attraction has lost its ability to tell it to the guest. The ride lost a lot of its personality when they removed the majority of the script from the tour guide. Now as for scene changes, do you think it would be really that hard to change out one or two of the scenes every couple of years? I know it would mean a few weeks of down time, but I really can't see it being all too much. It would keep the ride a bit fresher yet maximize the life of a lot of the other scenes.

Also I kind of disagree with you on its throughput. I believe you sit 68 people on each ride vehicle and when running A and B shows that is 136 people in total. The ride cycles I believe every four or five minutes. It's not the highest capacity ride at Disney at all. If Star Tours is running all of it's simulators you are looking at around 240 people every five minutes. Overall I agree that the park and it's attractions are not built for high volume and it is only complicated by the way things are right now. When all is said and done, the third rail at Midway Mania is a welcomed relief and has increased that ride's capacity tremendously. I also think both Disneyland and WDW are mostly once in a decade refreshes as the sponsors for the attractions are usually under contracts for 10 years. I could be wrong but that is what I have come to understand.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Thu 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Difficulty of changing out scenes every few years? That is a complex question.

First off, gutting GMR's scenes but keeping the track and layout would not work since the presentation would still be bad (the lack of future attractions using the "rolling theater" concept past the 80's is telling)

Orienting a ride to be able to add/drop content regularly does work, but there are a few major catches that probably won't work for GMR. The first is licensing, since you are using the likenesses and often the voice of real actors, it gets costly. Throw in that if you want good content you are going to probably have to go outside of Disney's properties. At the same time they cannot use one of their flagship brands (Marvel) at the moment, so you have limited selection. You also have the issue of timeliness, it is still a gamble as to how well a film will be received by audiences. While you could devote resources to making a concept for each major film that is slated to come out, and ink deals for them, it is a colossal waste of resources since most of the work would be thrown out. As Disney Imagineering has started to run lean (they did pretty big layoffs about a month ago), they aren't about to start wasting again. The other issue is that even if you were cool with wasted resources/money, that time lag would still kill you since you wouldn't want to start fabricating or even planning work until you knew the movie was a hit. As a result, you then have a pretty large lag between when the film comes out and the ride update would go live.

Installation itself could possibly be swift, but that is literally the smallest issue with everything, but the final sign off from brands would probably throw more time onto it because there will always be flaws and they are not going to sign off, which adds more and more time.

If it were an attraction using original content or didn't require licensing clearance, it would be faster.

The biggest problem with the park is that it was a half-baked concept that was rushed to stay competitive with USO. They had ideas for afterwork but reality threw a grenade into those plans almost immediately so everything simply became more and more dated. With other parks, the evergreen method could work, but for something directly tied to media and pop culture, having disconnects like that are unacceptable. It also shows shortsightedness, I am sure the designers said "These films/shows are classics, people will continue to watch them forever", reality is that the market they are targeting does not. These are shows and films that air on TV when infomercials don't want to pay for the air-time.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Fri 02, 2016 10:48 am

I agree with Amy - everyone has different tastes. For me, TGMR is fine for what it is and I'm a movie fan so I appreciate the effort to make some classic movie scenes three dimensional. But you are right, Wizz, it's impractical to keep current and an attraction with limited (ok, declining) appeal is something Disney needs to fix.

Oh, and since we're on the subject of tastes and opinions I'll comment on the subject of the OP by saying the Steven Tyler thing is dumb and much ado about nothing. You can even debate if he even made the gesture properly if he, indeed, was trying to do it.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 02, 2016 2:15 pm

It appears to have the requisite numbers for the "pink" and the "stink" so it is a valid shocker. :D

If I recall, shortly after the ride opened, they had to remove a photograph of the band on the ride (trying to find the photo online), where he was also throwing the shocker. The reason it go so far was that the approval people apparently thought he was just throwing horns. :D

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Sun 04, 2016 10:12 am

Wizz I'll pm you since the detail doesn't need to be on our nice clean happy boards :D
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 04, 2016 11:18 am

I am trying to recall, does the DS version use any Non-English language for the pre-show? Other than cutting off the other actors from possible royalties, they could have done a redress of the ride with the euro content as an alternative that wouldn't have enraged the talent.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Thu 05, 2017 11:32 am

So even though the topic is quite vulgar... I have to share my funny story.

So, my whole family is sitting around my dining room table... 15 of us celebrating my Dad's 80th birthday, (my Mom is 79). Then the topic comes up by someone about taking out the hand gesture of Steven Tyler from a ride at Walt Disney World. So everyone kinda doesn't really say much, a little tee-heeing and that was it.
Meanwhile quietly my Mom is googling it and looking it up. (She is quite tech savvy with her iPhone and iPad) So then my Mom speaks out to everyone, "I found out the reason why they took it out! It's something called two in the pink, one in the stink. So what the heck does that mean?"
All I can say is OMG... :shock:
The table erupted!!! I thought my kids were going to simultaneously fall on the floor or throw up from laughter! I told her Mom... just drop it I'll tell you later! To which I did not tell her anything.
So henceforth this is now in the history books of our family... OMG
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 05, 2017 3:16 pm

I was expecting her to say "Back in my day we used to call it an 'Edison'"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2017 11:34 pm

cousininmiami wrote:So even though the topic is quite vulgar... I have to share my funny story.

So, my whole family is sitting around my dining room table... 15 of us celebrating my Dad's 80th birthday, (my Mom is 79). Then the topic comes up by someone about taking out the hand gesture of Steven Tyler from a ride at Walt Disney World. So everyone kinda doesn't really say much, a little tee-heeing and that was it.
Meanwhile quietly my Mom is googling it and looking it up. (She is quite tech savvy with her iPhone and iPad) So then my Mom speaks out to everyone, "I found out the reason why they took it out! It's something called two in the pink, one in the stink. So what the heck does that mean?"
All I can say is OMG... :shock:
The table erupted!!! I thought my kids were going to simultaneously fall on the floor or throw up from laughter! I told her Mom... just drop it I'll tell you later! To which I did not tell her anything.
So henceforth this is now in the history books of our family... OMG
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Wed 18, 2017 7:17 am

Yes... pretty funny story. My 80 year old Mom, good heavens!