wilderness construction

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

DDEH699
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

wilderness construction

Post by DDEH699 » Jul Mon 04, 2016 2:09 pm

We are thinking about the wilderness lodge also for our january 2017 visit…. we heard its going to be under construction at that time…… how extensive and would it hinder our trip?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: wilderness construction

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 06, 2016 9:47 am

I was just down there and the construction is pretty extensive. It's going to be a bit more time before all of the work for the new cabins and villas are done. I would personally say to look somewhere else until that construction project is done. I've heard it's been a bit noisy with all the construction work nearby, especially if your room faces towards that project.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Would that be an actual problem though, if this were a vacation where you spend tons of time in your room it could be. But as you are basically just going there to sleep, bathe, and change clothes, it may not be too bad. Though if they are still charging full price (for the time of year) rather than something deeply discount, that would suck.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 06, 2016 3:10 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Would that be an actual problem though, if this were a vacation where you spend tons of time in your room it could be. But as you are basically just going there to sleep, bathe, and change clothes, it may not be too bad. Though if they are still charging full price (for the time of year) rather than something deeply discount, that would suck.
Some people do want to go back to their room for a nap in the afternoon, especially if they have little ones and want to take in the nighttime shows. And I'm sure the room rates are still the same with no discount for the ongoing construction.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 06, 2016 6:30 pm

They probably need to make that one clear, since one person's hindrance may be missed by another. Anyway, that would not surprise me that they do not disclose planned construction to guests. Super unethical, especially when you consider that closing sections of a resort also means a lower volume of available rooms, which allows you to charge a premium.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 9:00 am

Wizzard419 wrote:They probably need to make that one clear, since one person's hindrance may be missed by another. Anyway, that would not surprise me that they do not disclose planned construction to guests. Super unethical, especially when you consider that closing sections of a resort also means a lower volume of available rooms, which allows you to charge a premium.
So Disney does make it very clear to all guests about construction and refurbishment going on in the resorts. About one month prior to your stay you will receive a letter in the mail from the resort (hotel) explaining some of the refurbishment details and the hours that it will be taking place during. They express that if you feel this could be an issue to call up the main reservations hotline to rebook your reservation for elsewhere. Also if you look on the internet when you are booking they will have an advisory up about the resort.

Are exact details discussed no, but you will know enough to have an understanding of what is going on and if it will negatively impact you. For instance Boardwalk was where we were originally going to stay for part of my recent vacation. Around a month before the sent us a letter stating the painting and restaurant refurbishment at the flying fish. Being asthmatic paint fumes could be troublesome so we canceled our resort change and stayed at Beach Club the entire time.

Amy, 100% correct and also don't forget how many people go back in the hot summer afternoon to cool off at their hotel's pool :D
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 1:45 pm

One month out is cool, if we were talking about people who booked one month out. Considering they encourage and almost demand you book 6+ months out, it isn't good. If rebooking costs no money, transferring you to a different resort of equal or greater value, and causes no problems, then that is good.

Actual construction isn't much of a concern, but the bigger problem is if the room rates for places undergoing renovations are not reduced based on the impact it would have on your stay.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:One month out is cool, if we were talking about people who booked one month out. Considering they encourage and almost demand you book 6+ months out, it isn't good. If rebooking costs no money, transferring you to a different resort of equal or greater value, and causes no problems, then that is good.

Actual construction isn't much of a concern, but the bigger problem is if the room rates for places undergoing renovations are not reduced based on the impact it would have on your stay.
They will fill the rooms no matter what. I don't think they even consider reducing the rooms. If a guest is truly upset once they are there, I would say the resort either moves them, upgrades them, or compensates them in some fashion to keep them happy. But the average guest probably wouldn't do much more than grumble about it among themselves.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Which would probably be considered poor form for the hospitality industry. You don't want people coming back from vacation complaining that they were right by construction. If that literally was the only hotel on the property, they could have an excuse for trying to place people by the sites. Again, if you are charging the same price for accommodations with construction going on, that is pretty unethical.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Which would probably be considered poor form for the hospitality industry. You don't want people coming back from vacation complaining that they were right by construction. If that literally was the only hotel on the property, they could have an excuse for trying to place people by the sites. Again, if you are charging the same price for accommodations with construction going on, that is pretty unethical.
The price for Wilderness Lodge was relatively lower than DAK which has similar pricing and room size.

Now I was just curiously looking at Yacht Club for around Christmas time and they already have a warning up when you look at the resort that beginning in late October the resort will be going under renovations (finally getting its overdue room renovations). Disney does warn the guests and does offer information in advance. The letter around a month before is more of a final warning to the guest before they arrive. Rebooking doesn't cost money and usually Disney will try to move you laterally or up a tier if there is an issue without penalizing the guest. I will say with their hotels on property, Disney does a really nice job of accommodating guests... and their latest quarterly report shows that with the occupancy rate.
- Len90

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 20, 2016 9:33 pm

What is the pricing looking light at comparable places (I guess beach club won't count since they are right next to each other)? That is kind of the core, if they are not dropping rates for places being worked on then it is bad. Throw in that if you have to ask for it, then they are missing a step.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Mon 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:What is the pricing looking light at comparable places (I guess beach club won't count since they are right next to each other)? That is kind of the core, if they are not dropping rates for places being worked on then it is bad. Throw in that if you have to ask for it, then they are missing a step.
It's about $60 less than Beach Club per night for a standard room right now on the discount offered for the holidays. So yes they are doing that and no they are not missing any steps.
- Len90

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 08, 2016 11:11 am

Checking in to the Wilderness tomorrow for the weekend!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Tue 13, 2016 10:47 am

Weekend was fabulous, pool was wonderful, lobby beautiful as usual. The construction didn't bother me at all and I got a set of Wilderness Lodge pins for free in the room!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 13, 2016 1:15 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Weekend was fabulous, pool was wonderful, lobby beautiful as usual. The construction didn't bother me at all and I got a set of Wilderness Lodge pins for free in the room!
Free pins ~ nice. That's awesome that the construction didn't bother you :D