The gator tragedy

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: The gator tragedy

Post by Len90 » Jun Sun 26, 2016 9:22 pm

Ultimately this tragedy is going to bring changes to the resort grounds as well as the open water ways in the theme parks. Do I foresee Disney closing the beaches at the deluxe resorts forever... no. I do sense a change more permanent than the fencing that will allow guests to sit on the sand but not have to worry about the wildlife. There will be some sort of barrier built to keep the wildlife and guests from interacting.

As far as the monorail colors pink and purple... I believe there was a very small cameo by monorail pink in the resort TV loop for a few years after the incident. I personally will never forget about that incident as I was in WDW when it happened. I actually photographed both monorails hours earlier when I was in EPCOT.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Mon 27, 2016 2:15 pm

But, which is the big problem for Florida... pretty much doing anything short of removing all water from the lagoons and waterways in guest areas will not be able to mitigate the animal risk. Either that or having a giant skimmer run through every hour. :D The running joke for the region is that you dig a hole, add some water and wait, you will have at least one gator.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sat 02, 2016 9:58 am

Speaking of whether or not there will be any big changes, we still cannot ride in the front of the monorail seven years after the accident.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jderoche5 » Jul Thu 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Len90 wrote:Ultimately this tragedy is going to bring changes to the resort grounds as well as the open water ways in the theme parks. Do I foresee Disney closing the beaches at the deluxe resorts forever... no. I do sense a change more permanent than the fencing that will allow guests to sit on the sand but not have to worry about the wildlife. There will be some sort of barrier built to keep the wildlife and guests from interacting.

As far as the monorail colors pink and purple... I believe there was a very small cameo by monorail pink in the resort TV loop for a few years after the incident. I personally will never forget about that incident as I was in WDW when it happened. I actually photographed both monorails hours earlier when I was in EPCOT.
I though I remember reading after the accident both pink and purple were retired. The two were eventually used to make 1 functioning monorail, Monorail teal. Monorail peach was then added to the fleet a couple of years later consisting of the remaining cars from the crash and brand new cars used to complete the vehicle.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 21, 2016 3:19 pm

jderoche5 wrote:I though I remember reading after the accident both pink and purple were retired. The two were eventually used to make 1 functioning monorail, Monorail teal. Monorail peach was then added to the fleet a couple of years later consisting of the remaining cars from the crash and brand new cars used to complete the vehicle.
I heard something similar to that as well.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jul Fri 22, 2016 7:26 am

It's just crazy to think that my cousins and I would go play in the water on the beach at the Polynesian years ago and dealing with gators never crossed our minds. Another interesting point that my uncle brought up a few weeks back was that there actually used to be a small water park on Bay Lake, which is obviously connected to the lagoon. Crazy.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 22, 2016 1:53 pm

You're talking about river country? That wasn't technically connected, the swimming areas in the park were never directly in the lagoon, it is similar to hotels that will build massive pools right on the beach. It is easier to control/watch swimmers when there is a fenced in area they can go.

You actually used to be able to swim in the seven seas lagoon until the 90's, when they removed it due to safety issues from the increased demand for rental watercraft. Though, between the garbage, oil/gas, fertilizer, animal waste, probably human waste, etc. (not even counting apex predators, venomous animals, and amoebas), that water is pretty gross to begin with.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 22, 2016 3:39 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:It's just crazy to think that my cousins and I would go play in the water on the beach at the Polynesian years ago and dealing with gators never crossed our minds. Another interesting point that my uncle brought up a few weeks back was that there actually used to be a small water park on Bay Lake, which is obviously connected to the lagoon. Crazy.
River Country was on Bay Lake but it was separated with a barrier so nothing would have come in there...at least not in theory.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Jul Thu 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Yeah i read up on it more after posting. I can't believe it's still just sitting there to this day....rotting....
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 28, 2016 4:30 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Yeah i read up on it more after posting. I can't believe it's still just sitting there to this day....rotting....
Very sad :(

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 06, 2016 9:41 am

So after 8 days in the world I can share some of the things I learned:

1. Rivers of America: There no longer will be any tolerance for gators living inside the Magic Kingdom. If a gator is spotted in there it will be immediately removed. In the past small gators were allowed to live there.
2. The fences: Look to be permanent. I don't anticipate any rock work coming to the Yacht/Beach like it did at GF. But the posts received that copper topping to them to ensure they last.
3. Beaches now have hours: In the past you were able to hang out on the benches at the Yacht/Beach at all hours of the day. Now the beach closes at nighttime with signs brought out stating the beach is closed. People seen on the beach when it is closed will be asked to politely to leave the beach
4. Jungle Cruise: Rode it a few times to confirm. The jokes regarding the crocodile/alligator are gone. They'll mention Ginger but nothing else is said. No more "looking for a handout" or "Ginger snaps".
5. The sings are ALL OVER. You go by any little area of water in Disney and you will find those warning sings now. They're around by the Jungle Book Show, Fantasmic, everywhere.

As for the monorails:
The colors Pink and Purple were retired out of respect to the incident. Monorail Teal is composed of cars 1-5 from Pink with Car 6 from purple. The cars 1 and 6 are the two nose cars. Monorail Peach was composed of the undamaged middle section of Purple with two brand new nose cones.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Sat 13, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for the detail, len. I wish I could say I'm surprised but it's all playing out as predicted in typical Disney lawyer fashion.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 13, 2016 1:28 pm

Putting the signs up would be legal's response. Everything else is just an attempt at good PR. Odds are that legal has been on their case about wildlife attacking guests for longer since this has happened before, but without fatalities. While it's cool to be able to say "We dredge the lake for predators every day" or some other thing, it has always been a losing battle since they are common throughout the state regardless of how developed the land is.