Breakfeast Buffet at the Captains Grill

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sag746
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Breakfeast Buffet at the Captains Grill

Post by sag746 » May Thu 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Just came back from Disneyworld. On the last day of our stay we go for a Breakfeast Buffet to end our trip. We used to go to the Maya Grill at the Coronado for their wonderful breakfeast buffet but they did away with it about three years ago. Now we go to the Captains Grill at the Yacht Clyb Resort. For the last two years they offered a patron getting the buffet, a made to order omlet or an eggs benedict. Now because of cost, they no longer offer those items unless you pay extra.

Now you are already paying $22+ for the buffet, and they cut out a crummy omlet? I know Disney thinks of money first always, but this is really cheap.
Hope you have a great day

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Breakfeast Buffet at the Captains Grill

Post by Amy » May Thu 12, 2016 2:14 pm

sag746 wrote:Just came back from Disneyworld. On the last day of our stay we go for a Breakfeast Buffet to end our trip. We used to go to the Maya Grill at the Coronado for their wonderful breakfeast buffet but they did away with it about three years ago. Now we go to the Captains Grill at the Yacht Clyb Resort. For the last two years they offered a patron getting the buffet, a made to order omlet or an eggs benedict. Now because of cost, they no longer offer those items unless you pay extra.

Now you are already paying $22+ for the buffet, and they cut out a crummy omlet? I know Disney thinks of money first always, but this is really cheap.
Wow ~ that is sad. Most breakfast buffets have the omelet station as part of the meal :( That and freshly made waffles. Did you notice if those were still included, or at least on the buffet already made?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 13, 2016 6:29 am

#ThankYouShanghai

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 13, 2016 7:45 am

theBIGyowski wrote:#ThankYouShanghai
So sad and so true all at the same time. It's great they're getting a wonderful new park over in Shanghai ~ and I sure hope to be able to see it someday, but it's sad how they are cutting back in the US parks to keep the bottom line looking good :(
To be fair, I'm sure the Star Wars land construction in both DL and WDW isn't helping either :(

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Fri 13, 2016 10:00 am

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:#ThankYouShanghai
So sad and so true all at the same time. It's great they're getting a wonderful new park over in Shanghai ~ and I sure hope to be able to see it someday, but it's sad how they are cutting back in the US parks to keep the bottom line looking good :(
To be fair, I'm sure the Star Wars land construction in both DL and WDW isn't helping either :(
You'd think Disney would have planned ahead for the costs, knowing full well that what was projected needed to be increased 20-25% to allow for unforeseen issues, increases in labor or material costs over the long time frame, etc. It seems to me that there was some short-sightedness involved, and now an ever-increasingly expensive destination is also being cut here and there.

Which doesn't make me all that eager to go back. Hubby and I LOVED our time at DLR. And WDW has always been a great time for us as a family. But with the way pricing and cutbacks have gone, the value isn't there.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Fri 13, 2016 1:06 pm

The real telling sign will be seeing what gets cut from Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land over the next year or two. Right now I think they are trying hard to make the cuts now in order to save things later...but you can pretty much guarantee that something will get cut from the WDW expansions.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Fri 13, 2016 2:10 pm

The bigger problem, which is why the days of the theme park are coming to an end, is that they are super expensive to operate (at least domestically). In CA they have begun, due to state law, having to provide sick days for hourly workers, min wage will be rising to $15/hr, they need to perform 1.5 billion in updates/expansions that need to start next year and be completed within 5 years if they wish to continue getting tax breaks from the city, and on top of it all the cost of materials, energy, food, etc. will only continue to rise. Which is why they have been trying to see how few people they can operate the park with, including having rides open later or not at all on certain days.

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » May Fri 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The bigger problem, which is why the days of the theme park are coming to an end, is that they are super expensive to operate (at least domestically). In CA they have begun, due to state law, having to provide sick days for hourly workers, min wage will be rising to $15/hr, they need to perform 1.5 billion in updates/expansions that need to start next year and be completed within 5 years if they wish to continue getting tax breaks from the city, and on top of it all the cost of materials, energy, food, etc. will only continue to rise. Which is why they have been trying to see how few people they can operate the park with, including having rides open later or not at all on certain days.
I might believe you if attendance were dropping. It's hard for me to agree that "the days of the theme park are coming to an end" when they have no problem packing the parks even as the price skyrockets.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 14, 2016 11:40 am

It isn't going to be soon, but there will be a hard limit on how much the consumer will be willing to pay. You already have parks crossing triple digits for single day single park admission. Think of it like the film industry, they are having record box office levels, but the films are here, gone, and in stores a few months later. Many of the movies are unable to meet the standard return level, and just making a profit isn't good enough. The question is, how high will the price have to go where you would say "I'm done, I'm not willing to pay for this anymore"?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Sat 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It isn't going to be soon, but there will be a hard limit on how much the consumer will be willing to pay. You already have parks crossing triple digits for single day single park admission. Think of it like the film industry, they are having record box office levels, but the films are here, gone, and in stores a few months later. Many of the movies are unable to meet the standard return level, and just making a profit isn't good enough. The question is, how high will the price have to go where you would say "I'm done, I'm not willing to pay for this anymore"?
I'm very nearly there.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Right now, especially, when you consider (at WDW) two of the parks are undergoing major makeovers with a sizeable portion closed, another is roughly only 3/4 of a park and that is mostly non e-tickets. Throw in that if you do not like the franchises coming in, replacing older content, then you are going to be less inclined to go.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » May Mon 16, 2016 7:26 am

That sounds like a total bummer. On a side note, but pretty related...as far as breakfast goes... I would actually recommend to you to hit up Ohana's for breakfast. Same amount of food as dinner, but half the cost. Totally worth it.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Mon 16, 2016 8:35 am

According to the most recent quarterly report, attendance at the domestic parks was down and lower than anticipated. However, revenues went up...because it's costing more and more to go to the parks and purchase things there.

So that means Disney's strategy is working...having less people there but have them paying more. The hard part is they are probably getting dangerously close to that price point where you start losing your ROI. What's nice for Disney, though, is that they can just roll out more discounts and "free" stuff to convince guests that they can get a good value on their vacation.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 16, 2016 10:44 am

theBIGyowski wrote:According to the most recent quarterly report, attendance at the domestic parks was down and lower than anticipated. However, revenues went up...because it's costing more and more to go to the parks and purchase things there.

So that means Disney's strategy is working...having less people there but have them paying more. The hard part is they are probably getting dangerously close to that price point where you start losing your ROI. What's nice for Disney, though, is that they can just roll out more discounts and "free" stuff to convince guests that they can get a good value on their vacation.
Gosh it doesn't seem like there are less people in the parks. It has been so crowded on our last few visits!
On a plus note, and totally unrelated to the topic of the buffet, the new Disney Springs area looks really nice!

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » May Mon 16, 2016 11:07 am

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:According to the most recent quarterly report, attendance at the domestic parks was down and lower than anticipated. However, revenues went up...because it's costing more and more to go to the parks and purchase things there.

Gosh it doesn't seem like there are less people in the parks. It has been so crowded on our last few visits!
On a plus note, and totally unrelated to the topic of the buffet, the new Disney Springs area looks really nice!
Been dying to see more photos of the new Town Center. Looks really great.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion