TOT to get bar

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

TOT to get bar

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Tue 12, 2016 6:20 pm

Yes. That is correct. The Tower of Terror is getting an upgrade. Now my girlfriend may actually be able to get me inside! http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/04/breaking- ... ar-inside/
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: TOT to get bar

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 12, 2016 9:24 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Yes. That is correct. The Tower of Terror is getting an upgrade. Now my girlfriend may actually be able to get me inside! http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/04/breaking- ... ar-inside/
I just saw this ~ I suppose it gives guests that don't want to experience the attraction something to do while they wait. I just hope people don't drink a few, then ride, then lose their cookies on the elevator :shock:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 12, 2016 11:26 pm

I don't think, judging by the space size, it is going to be a lounge area. Think of it like the walk up places at DCA, you get your drink and go. DCA has actually sold beverage (soft drinks in bottles) for years now, so it may be a thing for our park too. Considering the photo desk is as popular as your would imagine. :D

I found this out recently, which may apply for FL law. Odds are good that any hard drinks they sell at the bar will be premix, like much of WDW. The reason for this is that it is a way to get around liquor license law. Since they won't be a restaurant, they would need to get a specific type to serve hard liquor, but if it is already mixed (meaning no risk of over/under pours from staff) they can get away with a beer and wine license.

As much as there will probably be butthurt over this (I fully expect a firestorm if the cantina opens in DLR and serves alcohol), it is closer to the concept for the attraction where (similar to PoC) the lobby was envisioned as a multi function space, not just a place to stand and wait.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Wed 13, 2016 6:39 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I don't think, judging by the space size, it is going to be a lounge area. Think of it like the walk up places at DCA, you get your drink and go. DCA has actually sold beverage (soft drinks in bottles) for years now, so it may be a thing for our park too. Considering the photo desk is as popular as your would imagine. :D

I found this out recently, which may apply for FL law. Odds are good that any hard drinks they sell at the bar will be premix, like much of WDW. The reason for this is that it is a way to get around liquor license law. Since they won't be a restaurant, they would need to get a specific type to serve hard liquor, but if it is already mixed (meaning no risk of over/under pours from staff) they can get away with a beer and wine license.

As much as there will probably be butthurt over this (I fully expect a firestorm if the cantina opens in DLR and serves alcohol), it is closer to the concept for the attraction where (similar to PoC) the lobby was envisioned as a multi function space, not just a place to stand and wait.
It's a great move on Disney's part, considering the massive amount of refurb and construction going on at Hollywood. There's not much to do there right now. You can be done with the park in probably 3 hours. So having the bar in the Tower just gives Hollywood an extra food/drink option which is nice.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 13, 2016 2:01 pm

I am trying to remember, how far off the beaten path is the exit lobby? At DCA it is literally next to the entrance/queue, and visible from the main walking path.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I am trying to remember, how far off the beaten path is the exit lobby? At DCA it is literally next to the entrance/queue, and visible from the main walking path.
It's around the corner to the left of the entrance to the queue. A ton of people hang out there waiting for people that are going on the attraction itself. If anything, maybe it will cut down on the wait time as the adults might just send their kids on alone while they grab a quick drink? :lol:

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Apr Wed 13, 2016 2:22 pm

There's already a kind-of, secret bar near the exit of Tower of Terror: the pastry cart just past the exit is aces for a boozy coffee first thing in the morning at DHS. I love a drink while on vacation, so it's a must-stop for me.

I can't wait for this bar - even if it has a temporary, quick-drink-service feel, I hope it is popular enough that it's expanded and themed on the attraction!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Depending on how merch sales are, it might be worth it to just scrap part of the area and turn it into a full lounge location. The only issue may be those who go in to sit and wait but don't buy anything.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Thu 14, 2016 9:39 am

Great move on Disney's part. Alcohol sales will generate much more money than anything else for the square footage it occupies. I'm pretty sure this is close to the Fantasmic entrance and/or exit as well. If so...that's a good bit more money Disney can make. I am interested in seeing what kind of specialty drinks they offer. We're fairly certain it will all be in plastic cups...so nothing too fancy. My guess is mostly beer...maybe a few wines...and 2-3 specialty drinks. If it is going in immediately...that means it's just going to be a counter.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Thu 14, 2016 10:07 am

Phew! I thought you meant a lap bar! Glad to hear it's just a bar of the alcoholic kind. It doesn't bother me, but I don't think they need it, and I'm not sure how many people will want a drink coming off the ride. More people would want one before riding, kwim?

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Apr Fri 15, 2016 11:14 am

I LOVE this! Of course I love anything that is themed, but even better that it is ToT! I just got back from WDW a couple of days ago and as we were getting off of ToT I was saying how awesome it would be if they opened up a Tower of Terror Hollywood Hotel! How amazing would that be?! For now, I will looking forward to a themed bar...love everything about that!

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Sun 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Unfortunately this idea was scrapped, not sure if anyone caught it. It sounded like a great idea, but the rumor is that the Merchandise group nixed it, citing that they would lose revenue if they made room for a bar. Story from WDWNT.com: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/disney-dr ... d-studios/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 30, 2017 9:26 am

NaCler wrote:Unfortunately this idea was scrapped, not sure if anyone caught it. It sounded like a great idea, but the rumor is that the Merchandise group nixed it, citing that they would lose revenue if they made room for a bar. Story from WDWNT.com: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/disney-dr ... d-studios/
That kind of makes sense ~ although I'm thinking the bar wouldn't have been that big so they likely still could have had both successfully.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Mon 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:Unfortunately this idea was scrapped, not sure if anyone caught it. It sounded like a great idea, but the rumor is that the Merchandise group nixed it, citing that they would lose revenue if they made room for a bar. Story from WDWNT.com: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/disney-dr ... d-studios/
That kind of makes sense ~ although I'm thinking the bar wouldn't have been that big so they likely still could have had both successfully.
I'm assuming you mean not that big in terms of space, rather than in terms of popularity. Because I, for one, have often felt like a drink is just what I've needed at WDW. :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 30, 2017 10:31 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:
I'm assuming you mean not that big in terms of space, rather than in terms of popularity. Because I, for one, have often felt like a drink is just what I've needed at WDW. :lol:
Yes, big in terms of size. I think they have proven quite handily how popular alcohol is in the parks ~ perhaps a little too popular in the World Showcase in EPCOT :(