Fun article on AK

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Fun article on AK

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Tue 05, 2016 11:50 am

Saw this listed on a blog and wanted to share as I was unaware of one of the points listed. A second entrance to the Animal Kingdom? Did anyone else know about this? May have to check it out next time I go to see if it really does cut down on time! (I also did not know that the woman costumed in plants and stilts actually had a name....The more you know!)

http://www.disneydining.com/8-of-the-be ... l-kingdom/
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Fun article on AK

Post by Amy » Apr Tue 05, 2016 2:29 pm

I've never heard about the second entrance either. I wonder though, as it said "rarely used" I would also wonder if it is rarely open? Worth a check the next time you're there to see anyhow! I only found out about DeVine on the forums here a few years back. She is easier to spot than you would think as she has a helper, and there are usually several guests waiting to take a picture with her. Very cool character though :D

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Tue 05, 2016 8:47 pm

It exists, but it isn't really useful. Unless the café is open when you arrive, it won't be much use. Throw in that the new bottleneck would be any security checkpoints outside the gates. I was actually seeing if AK had a secret entrance for their hotel, which seems to be a huge misstep that the people who are right next to the resort also need to use a bus to get to it.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Apr Wed 06, 2016 6:47 am

Wizzard419 wrote:It exists, but it isn't really useful. Unless the café is open when you arrive, it won't be much use. Throw in that the new bottleneck would be any security checkpoints outside the gates. I was actually seeing if AK had a secret entrance for their hotel, which seems to be a huge misstep that the people who are right next to the resort also need to use a bus to get to it.
Agreed. Animal Kingdom is already far enough away from everything else.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 06, 2016 8:07 am

I thought everyone knew about the second entrance at AK. I first learned about it on a WDW special that was on the Travel Channel back in the early 2000s.

Here is a clip of the show. I used to have it saved to my DVR way back in the day. I think I have it saved somewhere on my computer now.

DW and I have used this entrance a few times. It's fun to walk through the Rainforest Cafe gift shop to escape the heat.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 06, 2016 8:23 am

Wizzard419 wrote:It exists, but it isn't really useful. Unless the café is open when you arrive, it won't be much use. Throw in that the new bottleneck would be any security checkpoints outside the gates. I was actually seeing if AK had a secret entrance for their hotel, which seems to be a huge misstep that the people who are right next to the resort also need to use a bus to get to it.
Hmm, hadn't ever really thought of that before. At least they have a dedicated bus to and from AK.
theBIGyowski wrote:I thought everyone knew about the second entrance at AK. I first learned about it on a WDW special that was on the Travel Channel back in the early 2000s.

Here is a clip of the show. I used to have it saved to my DVR way back in the day. I think I have it saved somewhere on my computer now.

DW and I have used this entrance a few times. It's fun to walk through the Rainforest Cafe gift shop to escape the heat.
Interesting. I've seen the pathway back there, but always figured it just went to the restaurant. Never really gave it any thought about whether or not is was another entrance/exit to the park. Wizzard has a point about security check though. You probably wouldn't save much time going in through that way, but it might be fun to look at the gift shop on the way through, and as you said, enjoy a bit of a/c!

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Apr Thu 07, 2016 9:01 am

Great article. We used to use that entrance, but lately we've been going late to AK, around the time when the crowds start exiting in mid-afternoon. Of course, Rivers of Light will probably change that. Thanks for the reminder!