Anybody have advice on WDW "reluctant partners"?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Anybody have advice on WDW "reluctant partners"?

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 27, 2016 9:09 pm

AAA and Disney not working together is news! Does that mean that AAA no longer sells discounted vacation packages and park tickets? I know that Disney has its own set of authorized travel agents so maybe this is Disney's way of controlling everything.

JenMuse will probably know the answer to that...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 27, 2016 9:53 pm

I am guessing that AAA is not getting the rate they need to make it profitable anymore. They have had problems in the past where their discount rate was above the normal rate for places.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 28, 2016 10:42 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I am guessing that AAA is not getting the rate they need to make it profitable anymore. They have had problems in the past where their discount rate was above the normal rate for places.
I know! We've had AAA for the last 12 months, primarily because daughter #1 took my old car to school and I want her to be able to get help. But otherwise, it's just not worth it. The same rates, and discounts through hubby's AARP membership (:lol: he's not really that old, just turned 50, but oh, how I love to rub THAT in :lol: ) and AAA membership isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Feb Tue 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Well the annoying thing was, you know how you used to book and they would give you all sorts of free stuff? Like pizza at wherever, or souvenir cups or whatever? I was totally gunning for free DisneyQuest tickets before it closes bc my buddy would love it, but no!

cy1229 wrote:AAA and Disney not working together is news! Does that mean that AAA no longer sells discounted vacation packages and park tickets? I know that Disney has its own set of authorized travel agents so maybe this is Disney's way of controlling everything.

JenMuse will probably know the answer to that...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 02, 2016 3:06 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Well the annoying thing was, you know how you used to book and they would give you all sorts of free stuff? Like pizza at wherever, or souvenir cups or whatever? I was totally gunning for free DisneyQuest tickets before it closes bc my buddy would love it, but no!
Are you booking a package through Disney? We actually got a coupon for DisneyQuest in our package, as well as mini-gold and some other things. So you might still luck out :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Yeah, since Disney also wants you to book everything through them (less commission payouts to other companies), they are going to severely cut back on perks for 3rd party bookings.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » May Wed 04, 2016 2:27 pm

UPDATE!

This discussion was great.

I took friend. He was a perfect Disney partner - had never been on a thrill ride and was terrified but after 3 days was posing for the ride cameras when I told him to. He also really gave himself over to the Disney Magic and loved interacting with Cast Members.

The girlfriend and I have broken up - I think the lesson here for me is, don't seriously date anyone whose inner child does not want to come out to play. It won't work.

Thanks all!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 04, 2016 3:17 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:UPDATE!

I took friend. He was a perfect Disney partner - had never been on a thrill ride and was terrified but after 3 days was posing for the ride cameras when I told him to. He also really gave himself over to the Disney Magic and loved interacting with Cast Members.

The girlfriend and I have broken up - I think the lesson here for me is, don't seriously date anyone whose inner child does not want to come out to play. It won't work.

Thanks all!
:( I'm so sorry you two have parted, for the pain it likely caused. But it sounds like it's for the best in the long run, and hopefully you both will find people more suited to you than you were for each other.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 04, 2016 8:10 pm

So glad you had a nice time ~ sounds like you made the right decision. Your princess is still out there somewhere kelpseaweedkelp!

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » May Thu 05, 2016 11:45 am

cy1229 wrote:

Thanks all!
:( I'm so sorry you two have parted, for the pain it likely caused. But it sounds like it's for the best in the long run, and hopefully you both will find people more suited to you than you were for each other.

Thanks cy1229! Yeah, I feel its definitely for the best and I was imaging her with me at WDW and how she prob would of been very cynical the whole time. Can't have that!

Thanks Amy!!! Yup, just gotta keep on keeping on.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » May Fri 13, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry that I didn't contribute to this threat until now! Just a few years ago I WAS the reluctant partner, when my now-wife took me for my first trip during Star Wars Weekends in 2010 - she grew up in a family that went annually. Needless to say, using my first love - Star Wars - as a first step into a larger world was a good idea, and I fell hard enough for the magic that I now post on a site like this!!

Sorry to hear about the break up. Sounds like a good excuse to plan another trip and meet someone new there!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 13, 2016 6:38 pm

zhoover wrote:
I'm so sorry that I didn't contribute to this threat until now! Just a few years ago I WAS the reluctant partner, when my now-wife took me for my first trip during Star Wars Weekends in 2010 - she grew up in a family that went annually. Needless to say, using my first love - Star Wars - as a first step into a larger world was a good idea, and I fell hard enough for the magic that I now post on a site like this!!

Sorry to hear about the break up. Sounds like a good excuse to plan another trip and meet someone new there!
Wow ~ I would never have thought you were a reluctant Disney person zhoover. Your love for the Disney Star Wars runs is amazing. Your wife was a smart cookie getting you in on Star Wars Weekends :D

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » May Wed 18, 2016 12:06 pm

Yeah what do you think your experience would of been like if it wasn't a Star Wars weekend??

Amy wrote:
zhoover wrote:

Wow ~ I would never have thought you were a reluctant Disney person zhoover. Your love for the Disney Star Wars runs is amazing. Your wife was a smart cookie getting you in on Star Wars Weekends :D

zhoover

Post by zhoover » May Fri 20, 2016 8:06 am

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Yeah what do you think your experience would of been like if it wasn't a Star Wars weekend??
That's a good question! I certainly arrived with a bit of skepticism. Not about Disney or Walt Disney World specifically, but about big, evil corporations in general. I had always assumed that the Walt Disney Company was one.

The first night of that trip I got to meet one of my now-wife's best friends from High School. At the time, he worked for Disney Cruise Line and has since transferred to Parks & Resorts Online in So.Cal. As we walked through World Showcase - alcohol is another of my great loves - I peppered him with questions about their corporate practices, and was pleasantly surprised by what a progressive company Disney is considering its size and reach. My 9-to-5 job is in politics/government, and after 13 years of that it's easy for me to be cynical. But over the course of the long weekend, I really gave myself away to the experience and (as you can tell) haven't really looked back.

I love the *magic* of Walt Disney World, and I realize that each of us defines that in our own way. But I equally love the human-magic, nuts-and-bolts logistics of how the place functions. I love the process of getting military invasion-quantities of ordinance around for fireworks shows. I love the practical insanity of how Disney's Magical Express functions in cooperation with the TSA - I'm not sure there's anything else quite like it in the World. All of this stuff speaks to my daily government/political/policy/functionality/bean-counting nerd self.

I'm not sure if that's an answer to your question, or any question! But give me a break - it's Friday morning...
Last edited by zhoover on May Fri 20, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » May Fri 20, 2016 9:11 am

I actually just wrote a fairly long winded post regarding "Evil Corporation" mindsets and how people can still and SHOULD enjoy Disney regardless....but I ended up erasing it as it was just too ridiculous. Also Star Wars is a good a reason as any to love Disney World. I grew up with the parks and my recent join-up with the 501st Legion definitely enhances that love, especially with the Star Wars expansion to Hollywood Studios.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion