Pirates of Caribbean Update - Any Info?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Pirates of Caribbean Update - Any Info?

Post by sfein » Jan Thu 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Last time I went to WDW, PoC was under refurbishment. Does anyone know what was done? I may have the chance to go back again soon and was wondering what was updated. I had heard that people were getting wet, I was hoping that was fixed.

Appreciate any info.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Pirates of Caribbean Update - Any Info?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 14, 2016 9:45 pm

When did you go? Depending on when it was, they added in stuff from the last film.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 14, 2016 9:55 pm

I know the characters got refreshed costumes and were spruced up themselves as well. I didn't get wet at all when I rode when we were there in December so I'm guessing that problem was fixed.

sfein

Post by sfein » Jan Fri 15, 2016 7:38 am

The last time I went was in July 2015.

Good to hear you did not get wet. I've been reading online and it seems to depend on how many people are in the boat and where you sit (front vs back).

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Jan Fri 15, 2016 8:46 am

I think the last refurb was to add some safety features as well. I've also heard that there are supposed to be scents added in various scenes.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 15, 2016 6:57 pm

sfein wrote:The last time I went was in July 2015.

Good to hear you did not get wet. I've been reading online and it seems to depend on how many people are in the boat and where you sit (front vs back).
I was in the very back row all by myself, and as I recall the rest of the boat was fairly full, so I think you should be good.
Marty Moose wrote:I think the last refurb was to add some safety features as well. I've also heard that there are supposed to be scents added in various scenes.
I read that somewhere about the scents, but I don't remember really noticing any when I rode, but I only went once and just might not have noticed. My allergies were terrible this time around :(

sfein

Post by sfein » Jan Fri 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by figmentaholic » Feb Sun 14, 2016 7:14 pm

I thought someone once said that they were making the trenches where the boats float through deeper because the boats were riding way too log when filled with heavier people. Was that not right?
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]

sfein

Post by sfein » Feb Thu 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Well, I'm back from a quick trip to Florida. Road PoC. No water in the boat at all. And everything was working including the mists. My brother came a few days after I left. He said the ride kept breaking down. My good luck I guess.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 23, 2016 1:17 am

Ever since the reopening Pirates has been having lots of issues with constant evacuations. The boats need to be loaded a certain way to ensure they don't get water logged or have any other issues. The good news for people who get a fastpass for the ride is that you get a few other selections to take your fastpass' place. When pirates would go down during Christmas week Jingle Cruise would get near a 3 hour standby as it was taking all of its own fastpass plus a majority of Pirates fastpass substitutions.

My personal opinion is that Disney should really look into closing this down again and getting it right, especially before the fifth movie comes out!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 23, 2016 8:31 am

Len90 wrote:Ever since the reopening Pirates has been having lots of issues with constant evacuations. The boats need to be loaded a certain way to ensure they don't get water logged or have any other issues. The good news for people who get a fastpass for the ride is that you get a few other selections to take your fastpass' place. When pirates would go down during Christmas week Jingle Cruise would get near a 3 hour standby as it was taking all of its own fastpass plus a majority of Pirates fastpass substitutions.

My personal opinion is that Disney should really look into closing this down again and getting it right, especially before the fifth movie comes out!
That explains why it was down a lot when we were there. And they did offer quite a few FP substitutions. It also explains why it comes back online so quickly. One of the last days we were there, or maybe the last day, I went to ride Pirates and got there just as they were clearing out the queue. I went back to where Figment was enjoying her Mickey Ice Cream to tell her that I would wait just a few minutes and saw the ride had already reopened. That is a shame that they are having so many problems after having been closed down to fix the problems with the boats. Hope they fix it completely soon!

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Sun 06, 2016 7:53 am

Everything seemed to be working ok on Pirates when I went back in Mid January. They added a pretty cool mermaid skeleton on the beach right before the drop, however i did not see any mermaids in the water this go around...Did they remove that? Also what the heck is up with Jungle Cruise? Every day we went to MK, there was a horrendously long wait to board.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 06, 2016 12:08 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Everything seemed to be working ok on Pirates when I went back in Mid January. They added a pretty cool mermaid skeleton on the beach right before the drop, however i did not see any mermaids in the water this go around...Did they remove that? Also what the heck is up with Jungle Cruise? Every day we went to MK, there was a horrendously long wait to board.
I wondered about the mermaids too ~ I saw the mermaid skeleton on the beach, but no mermaids in the water. I wondered if I had simply missed them as I didn't really think about looking for them.
Did you notice if they were training CMs at the Jungle Cruise? Or maybe they didn't have all the boats in the water because they misjudged demand?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Mon 21, 2016 8:46 am

I want to say I heard they turned off the mermaid projections in the water. They either weren't working properly...or they were seen as a waste of money/maintenance since most guests never realized they were there.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Mon 21, 2016 10:21 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I want to say I heard they turned off the mermaid projections in the water. They either weren't working properly...or they were seen as a waste of money/maintenance since most guests never realized they were there.
So they weren't actual mermaids, well, you know what I mean, in the water? Just projections?