Skipper Canteen

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

pirateatheart
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Skipper Canteen

Post by pirateatheart » Oct Fri 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Who else is watching this hoping for a opening in Dec/Jan and that there with be ADR's to try for?

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Skipper Canteen

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Oct Sat 10, 2015 10:35 am

pirateatheart wrote:Who else is watching this hoping for a opening in Dec/Jan and that there with be ADR's to try for?
Just booked a trip for early January, so yes definitely hopeful.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

RonR03038
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by RonR03038 » Oct Thu 15, 2015 7:50 am

Any known date for the ADR's? I am going in Feb and want to book.

Diebolds
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by Diebolds » Oct Sun 18, 2015 9:08 am

Any ideas what the menu will be like? Probably taste like chicken...Ha Ha... :lol:

octoberbarry
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by octoberbarry » Oct Tue 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Definitely looking forward to this one. :goofy:

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Sun 06, 2016 7:59 am

Bumping this thread as I had the opportunity to eat here back in January.

This place has been catching some flak for a few of their menu items...(I'm looking at you, Schweitzer Slush!)... and what I took away from this experience is this: GET THE HOT AND SOUR SOUP. It's in the appetizer section, but it's a full meal as far as I'm concerned. My girlfriend and I split a basket of Shu mai and would heartily recommend those as well, but from our experience do not order a hot and sour soup each and split a shu mai basket. It may not sound like a lot of food (and they may have changed portions...who knows) but we actually couldn't finish our meal. So if there's one thing to get at this place, it's either the Shu Mai or the Hot and sour soup. Oh also the actual interior of the place is very well done, and the waiters and waitresses are excellent. 4/5.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 06, 2016 3:05 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Bumping this thread as I had the opportunity to eat here back in January.

This place has been catching some flak for a few of their menu items...(I'm looking at you, Schweitzer Slush!)... and what I took away from this experience is this: GET THE HOT AND SOUR SOUP. It's in the appetizer section, but it's a full meal as far as I'm concerned. My girlfriend and I split a basket of Shu mai and would heartily recommend those as well, but from our experience do not order a hot and sour soup each and split a shu mai basket. It may not sound like a lot of food (and they may have changed portions...who knows) but we actually couldn't finish our meal. So if there's one thing to get at this place, it's either the Shu Mai or the Hot and sour soup. Oh also the actual interior of the place is very well done, and the waiters and waitresses are excellent. 4/5.
What have you been hearing about the menu items? Everything I've seen so far has been very positive both about food quality and quantity. Unfortunately there isn't a lot on the menu that my Mom or I would like so we likely won't eat there anytime soon, but others that enjoy the types of food offered have really seemed to enjoy it.

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Sun 06, 2016 3:20 pm

A lot of negative commentary I've seen has revolved around the Schweitzer Slush drink. It's a fruity beverage, but the tapioca boba-style balls in it are apparently throwing people for a loop. I for one enjoy boba and tapioca so i kind of wish I hadn't taken those reviews to heart when i went there so I could have tried it.

This also makes me want to go back to the Hangar bar at Disney Springs. the Reggie's Revenge drink was fantastic.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 06, 2016 4:29 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:A lot of negative commentary I've seen has revolved around the Schweitzer Slush drink. It's a fruity beverage, but the tapioca boba-style balls in it are apparently throwing people for a loop. I for one enjoy boba and tapioca so i kind of wish I hadn't taken those reviews to heart when i went there so I could have tried it.

This also makes me want to go back to the Hangar bar at Disney Springs. the Reggie's Revenge drink was fantastic.
Ah, that explains it, I don't pay too much attention to the drinks as they usually have too many things I've never heard of before to want to try them. I've always thought the bubble drinks looked interesting, but I've never tried one. I would think people could omit them from their drink if they wanted to though couldn't they?

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Sun 06, 2016 4:36 pm

With Disney's customer service, I don't see why they couldn't.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 06, 2016 5:14 pm

If they are not pre-packed and sealed (a common way to sell bubble tea), they probably should be able to accommodate that request.

Were the lids the normal ones you would find on soda, iced coffee, etc. or were they the plastic film ones like this?

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Mar Sun 06, 2016 9:41 pm

They weren't pre-packaged like that. It was a slush served in a glass or mule mug. Looks they they just top it off with the tapioca balls, so I'm sure you can ask for it without.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-conten ... 00x466.jpg

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Why would you do that?! Aside from losing the visual aspect of it (at least in the mug), the extra cold makes them more dense and they are already chewy enough. They would have been better off doing flavor pearls since they would add something to the drink.