What do you like collecting when at the parks?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: What do you like collecting when at the parks?

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Oct Sat 10, 2015 10:37 am

Last trip, my girlfriend started collecting pressed pennies from various resorts. I'd still like to try for the cards that each transportation source has.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Tiger87
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Sat 10, 2015 11:07 am

The pressed pennies are real cool to collect..I found some new ones on my last visit so the selection does change a slight bit :mickey:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 10, 2015 2:04 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Last trip, my girlfriend started collecting pressed pennies from various resorts. I'd still like to try for the cards that each transportation source has.
I collected a few bus cards the last time we went. Hadn't known about those until someone mentioned them here on the forum. That was fun.
Tiger87 wrote:The pressed pennies are real cool to collect..I found some new ones on my last visit so the selection does change a slight bit :mickey:
There was a blog that interviewed one of the maintenance men that takes care of the penny press machines at Disney as well as making the dies themselves. It was very interesting to see and listen (I think it was a video if I'm remembering correctly) to how they did it. I'll try and find it later, but my searches are coming up empty handed at the moment :(

Metalfan
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Metalfan » Oct Sat 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Pressed pennies are what we make sure to get. We collect the nicest looking pennies we get between trips and put them in a bag. Not at parks, but we've also got into the Vinylmations pretty big.

Searlproudbottom
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Searlproudbottom » Oct Sat 10, 2015 7:30 pm

I collect free stuff.
Here are a couple of items from an earlier trip. I'm pretty sure their from 1972. Can you believe we drove from California.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 10, 2015 8:16 pm

I love that you have the ticket book and it shows where you parked! What great memories ~ do you remember driving all the way from California? We drove from Michigan and it took forever so I can only imagine how long it took from California!

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Sat 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Amy wrote:
TikiTikiRoom wrote:Last trip, my girlfriend started collecting pressed pennies from various resorts. I'd still like to try for the cards that each transportation source has.
I collected a few bus cards the last time we went. Hadn't known about those until someone mentioned them here on the forum. That was fun.
Tiger87 wrote:The pressed pennies are real cool to collect..I found some new ones on my last visit so the selection does change a slight bit :mickey:
There was a blog that interviewed one of the maintenance men that takes care of the penny press machines at Disney as well as making the dies themselves. It was very interesting to see and listen (I think it was a video if I'm remembering correctly) to how they did it. I'll try and find it later, but my searches are coming up empty handed at the moment :(
That would be cool to watch.Ill see what I can come up as well

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Sat 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Searlproudbottom wrote:I collect free stuff.
Here are a couple of items from an earlier trip. I'm pretty sure their from 1972. Can you believe we drove from California.

That is so cool..I never got to use the old tickets..closest thing was the Fast Pass tickets..Thanks for sharing :D

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Oct Thu 15, 2015 8:49 am

Amy wrote:I collected a few bus cards the last time we went. Hadn't known about those until someone mentioned them here on the forum. That was fun.
Wait...what are bus cards??

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 15, 2015 9:28 am

zhoover wrote:
Amy wrote:I collected a few bus cards the last time we went. Hadn't known about those until someone mentioned them here on the forum. That was fun.
Wait...what are bus cards??
The different forms of transportation have cards that show their stats, sort of like a baseball card. If you ask the bus driver, boat captain, etc, they sometimes will have them on them. A few I asked did not have any cards, but most did. I'll have to dig around to see where I put them, I think I collected two or three the last time we went. Sort of a fun and different souvenir.

EDIT: Here is a great article about them. Definitely more information than I ever knew about the collector cards! Didn't know about the monorail having cards ~ will definitely have to seek those out next time as that is my favorite WDW transportation :D
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-worl ... s-that-is/

TikiTikiRoom

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Oct Thu 15, 2015 1:53 pm

I also want to add character photos. My girlfriend got me hooked. We averaged 10 a day last trip.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Oct Fri 16, 2015 9:51 am

Amy wrote:EDIT: Here is a great article about them. Definitely more information than I ever knew about the collector cards! Didn't know about the monorail having cards ~ will definitely have to seek those out next time as that is my favorite WDW transportation :D
http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-worl ... s-that-is/
How cool - thanks for yet another heads up! I'll ask around for some of these when we're in WDW next month!

octoberbarry

Post by octoberbarry » Oct Tue 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I want the Starbucks 'you are here' mugs. I keep almost buying them on ebay, but then feel like I'd be cheating so hold myself back. We'll see which side of me wins out...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 20, 2015 6:40 pm

octoberbarry wrote:I want the Starbucks 'you are here' mugs. I keep almost buying them on ebay, but then feel like I'd be cheating so hold myself back. We'll see which side of me wins out...
Depends on how close you are to a trip. If you've got a ways to go, you might want to go ahead and buy them anyhow :mickey:

aboden

Post by aboden » Oct Wed 21, 2015 3:42 pm

I wish I did, I don't have the capability to collect things now. Except small which I still don't. One time at MGM many years ago they had a limited supply of original tickets, one from each letter and a gold E ticket. I only saw it once and wanted to get one but when I went back they were sold out.

I did do the pressed pennies for awhile and did the x-large coffee cups lol
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"