Post by Tiger87 » Oct Tue 06, 2015 5:33 pm

How has the Disney Vacation Club changed your trips to the parks? :mickey:

Searlproudbottom
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: DVC Disney Vacation Club

Post by Searlproudbottom » Oct Tue 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Hello All

We have been avid Disney fans since a long, long time ago. We were hooked on the Polynesian and stayed their many times. Then along came children and the added cost didn't make our trips affordable, but it did make us think. There are Disney fans who feel that a Disney Resort is just a place to sleep and don't mind staying in a value resort. To our family the resort we stay in is 50% of the Disney experience. Being a DVC member allows us to not only stay at a deluxe resort at a discounted price but it saves our family money in other ways as well. Staying in a one bedroom allows us to prepare our own meals. We now eat breakfast in the room, pack a brown bag for lunch in the parks and BBQ steaks, chicken and chops for dinner, if we choose. Our stays can now be a little longer, 10 days instead of 6 or 7. We don't half to pack as many cloths as we now have our own in room washer and dryer. I can purchase a case of beer at a local market and keep it cold in the full sized fridge in the kitchen, cheaper than buying a 6 pack at a Disney store. When I am tired after a long day I can rest and watch TV while sitting on a sofa instead of sitting on a bed. I can save 10 to 20 % when we dine at a Disney restaurant. I can save money when we purchase items at a Disney store. We can save lots of cash purchasing annual passes. And best of all if we decide not to go to Disney I can rent out my points and have a very positive cash flow even after paying for maintenance fees.

Proud members of DVC
Searl Proudbottom and Family

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Tue 06, 2015 9:14 pm

Searlproudbottom wrote:Hello All

We have been avid Disney fans since a long, long time ago. We were hooked on the Polynesian and stayed their many times. Then along came children and the added cost didn't make our trips affordable, but it did make us think. There are Disney fans who feel that a Disney Resort is just a place to sleep and don't mind staying in a value resort. To our family the resort we stay in is 50% of the Disney experience. Being a DVC member allows us to not only stay at a deluxe resort at a discounted price but it saves our family money in other ways as well. Staying in a one bedroom allows us to prepare our own meals. We now eat breakfast in the room, pack a brown bag for lunch in the parks and BBQ steaks, chicken and chops for dinner, if we choose. Our stays can now be a little longer, 10 days instead of 6 or 7. We don't half to pack as many cloths as we now have our own in room washer and dryer. I can purchase a case of beer at a local market and keep it cold in the full sized fridge in the kitchen, cheaper than buying a 6 pack at a Disney store. When I am tired after a long day I can rest and watch TV while sitting on a sofa instead of sitting on a bed. I can save 10 to 20 % when we dine at a Disney restaurant. I can save money when we purchase items at a Disney store. We can save lots of cash purchasing annual passes. And best of all if we decide not to go to Disney I can rent out my points and have a very positive cash flow even after paying for maintenance fees.

Proud members of DVC
Searl Proudbottom and Family
Wow ~ nice!

Tiger87
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Wed 07, 2015 10:21 am

When I decided to join it was the 2nd to last day on my first visit to WDW in 2010..I kept seeing DVC logos or reference to the club just about every place I went to.I was the DVC rep's easiest sign-up..I didn't even let him finish..."Where do I sign"? :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 07, 2015 10:33 am

Tiger87 wrote:When I decided to join it was the 2nd to last day on my first visit to WDW in 2010..I kept seeing DVC logos or reference to the club just about every place I went to.I was the DVC rep's easiest sign-up..I didn't even let him finish..."Where do I sign"? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I bet they loved you! That's pretty awesome that you were sold on your first visit :D

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Wed 07, 2015 11:41 am

Yeah...I needed to be in the club to insure that taking a Disney vacation was going to be a family tradition and it has the best decision I ever made just jumping in with both feet without looking first.5 years this month and 3 visits as a member and the club just keeps getting better...a nice investment :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Thu 07, 2016 10:48 am

I'm not a DVC member YET...but DW and I do hope to become members someday.

My first introduction to DVC was back in 2007. Some friends of mine and I had just signed up for the 2008 WDW Half Marathon. One of our friends is in the Army and had just gotten back from a tour in Kuwait. We knew we'd save a ton of money staying at Shades of Green, so we booked a few days there through him. However, we were 3 guys in our mid-20s so we knew we'd want the dining plan (DDP) too. Unfortunately, you couldn't get the DDP if you were staying at Shades of Green, so we knew we had to book something at a Disney resort. Everything I priced through Disney was very expensive and we didn't need park tickets since we were getting discounted ones from Shades of Green. My parents owned a timeshare in Panama City Beach, FL so I looked to see if there was a way to use their points to transfer to a Disney resort. That ended up being a dead end, but it did help me find out a little more about DVC. I somehow stumbled upon a forum of people who were DVC owners, and one of the boards was used for renting/trading points. It was then that my eyes were opened to the world of renting DVC. I posted that I needed a room for a few days following the race and shortly thereafter I had a few owners offering their points for rent. I couldn't believe how "cheap" it made the stay for those nights! Of course it opened up getting the DDP for us for 3-4 days and that was the best part. That was back when the DDP was very much worth it and Le Cellier was only 1 dining credit. Another thing we loved was being able to use DME to go back to the airport. I think it cost us $60-$80 getting to Shades of Green at the beginning of the trip. Anyhow, we stayed at Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR) and loved our room. The only downside was that the resort is gigantic and we got lost walking around one evening after being at Downtown Disney.

I went back to WDW the next year to run in the half marathon again, but this time I went with my parents and sister and we booked a package at POFQ since we got a race discount. My next trip was in 2010 for my honeymoon and my first trip with my DW. It was a gift from my parents, so we again booked a package through Disney staying at POR. This time we got free dining, which was totally worth it for a honeymoon. It wasn't until DW and I decided to go back down in 2011 that I returned to the idea of renting DVC. DW and I decided that we wanted a long WDW vacation before having any kids, so we settled on a 9-day trip. Booking through Disney would have been extremely expensive, so I went to the same old message board to see what we could get. This was a last minute trip (booking just a month away) so we knew our options would be slim. Because we wanted a long trip, there were no resorts that had a studio open for all 8 nights. One resort was open for the first 6 nights, OKW, and we had a few resorts open for the last two nights. We decided to stay at BLT for the last two nights in order to be right next to MK for a rope drop day. Having done a split stay back in 2008, I knew it could be done. This time around it was even easier since we were going from one WDW resort to another and Disney transferred our bags and everything for us.

After that epic trip, we had our first kid and a few years went by before we made it back down to WDW. I was traveling a lot for work and that essentially made DW a single mom with our son at home. So, once I got done with traveling I decided to treat DW to a quick 3 night trip in January 2014. Again, we booked only a month out so availability was tight. OKW wasn't available, so our most affordable option was off the table. However, Kidani Village had a savanna view room available and that sounded nice. So, we again rented points from an owner and had a blast. Being there at AKL allowed us to eat at Boma again (we ate there on our honeymoon) and it put us right next to AK for a rope drop morning.

Last, but not least, we decided to do a 2 day trip last September for our 5th Anniversary. We didn't have much money at all for this trip, so we knew it would be a quick one. I had enough Southwest points for us to fly for free and we had some Disney gift cards to help with merchandise and dining. I broke my cardinal rule of Disney cost savings and we bought 1-day park tickets. Since we couldn't afford a long trip, we knew spending only $200 on park tickets was in our best interest. We also knew we wouldn't be able to handle MK emotionally since we wouldn't have our kids with us (DS asks us all the time when he can go to WDW), and the dining and drinks in Epcot are just better. So we chose Epcot as our only park that trip. Just like every other trip, this one was planned last minute and thankfully OKW had availability. Not only do we love that resort for its theme and quietness, but being the most affordable also made the trip possible. We had fun on this trip, but it was not nearly as much fun as our other ones. We know we can't go back without our kids. Not sure when the next trip will be since we need to buy a house and car first, but I do know that we will be renting DVC again to save money.

So after the long-winded post, I will finally answer the question.

Disney Vacation Club has made WDW possible for me and my family. We otherwise wouldn't be able to afford vacations to WDW. Renting DVC saves us hundreds if not thousands of dollars on our trips. It gives us more space in our rooms to spread out. It allows us to stay in deluxe rooms for prices lower than any moderate. I'm sure once we start taking family trips with our kids, having a private room for ourselves and a full kitchen will be a huge bonus. We eventually, God willing, want to have a few more kids and I know that a family of 6 won't fit in any standard Disney resort room. So DVC is our only feasible option. That's why we are hoping to be in a position 6-10 years from now to be able to afford buying into DVC. We want to build vacation memories as a family and nobody does it better than Disney. Having something that will last as long as we raise our kids as well as potentially taking grandkids too is very attractive. Until then we will continue to rent, and I try to help others with that as well. It can be a huge money saver, plus it's the best way for bigger families to stay together at WDW. For those that stuck with me through the whole post, thanks!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 07, 2016 11:51 am

Great post theBIGyowski ~ I'm thinking that the next trip I might seriously look into renting DVC points since we have had so many problems with our reservations and getting the kind of room we need at the value resorts. I love how you have crunched the numbers and have rented points without running into problems. How does it work to purchase the DDP when you rent points? Do you pay the person you are renting points from and they purchase the DDP or are you able to buy the DDP yourself after you have your room reservation? And if you buy the DVC points, do you have to purchase your park tickets alone or can you buy them as part of a package?

Alacrity
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Alacrity » Jan Fri 08, 2016 3:52 pm

In a nutshell, we would not be able to go nearly as often. My wife and I also might not be married!

Before we met, we were both DVC members and, after meeting online on another Disney fan board, we began dating at Disney World. I live in Illinois and my wife lived in Texas and it was just as easy for us to get to Florida as it was for either of us to get to Texas or Illinois. Not to mention, more fun! Eventually, we were engaged at Disney, married at Disney and now, celebrate our anniversary at Disney. I can't imagine what it would have cost us if we did not have DVC to cover the rooms. We've also been able to use our DVC points to invite a group of friends to come with us for our anniversary and my wife has had her "Girls trip" with her brides maids/friends as well as take her nieces for their first Disney trips. Without DVC we would spend quite a lot more.

I also think that the DVC rooms, generally, are a higher quality, possibly, and offer more convinces. Since becoming DVC members, We've noticed a difference in non-Disney rooms. We've said more that once that the room wasn't bad but it just wasn't Disney. I guess we're now a little spoiled.

For us it has been a value. Especially considering what we paid per point (I bought in '89 or '99 I think). I has allowed us to go regularly, at least yearly, sometimes more!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 08, 2016 7:55 pm

Alacrity wrote:In a nutshell, we would not be able to go nearly as often. My wife and I also might not be married!

Before we met, we were both DVC members and, after meeting online on another Disney fan board, we began dating at Disney World. I live in Illinois and my wife lived in Texas and it was just as easy for us to get to Florida as it was for either of us to get to Texas or Illinois. Not to mention, more fun! Eventually, we were engaged at Disney, married at Disney and now, celebrate our anniversary at Disney. I can't imagine what it would have cost us if we did not have DVC to cover the rooms. We've also been able to use our DVC points to invite a group of friends to come with us for our anniversary and my wife has had her "Girls trip" with her brides maids/friends as well as take her nieces for their first Disney trips. Without DVC we would spend quite a lot more.

I also think that the DVC rooms, generally, are a higher quality, possibly, and offer more convinces. Since becoming DVC members, We've noticed a difference in non-Disney rooms. We've said more that once that the room wasn't bad but it just wasn't Disney. I guess we're now a little spoiled.

For us it has been a value. Especially considering what we paid per point (I bought in '89 or '99 I think). I has allowed us to go regularly, at least yearly, sometimes more!
How fun ~ didn't know that about you and your wife!
So if you bought DVC that long ago, do you have to repurchase again soon? I seem to remember one of my piano families who became DVC members telling me it was a 20 year kind of deal. Is that right?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Reading through some old Disney Food Blogs and had a question. The Top of the World Lounge is for DVC members, and the blog post mentioned that you had to show your room key for entrance. Is this perk available to those who simply rent DVC points, or do you have to be an actual DVC member to go to the lounge?

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Jan Mon 11, 2016 9:22 am

Amy wrote: How fun ~ didn't know that about you and your wife!
So if you bought DVC that long ago, do you have to repurchase again soon? I seem to remember one of my piano families who became DVC members telling me it was a 20 year kind of deal. Is that right?
I'd have to check the contracts but I believe our expire dates are 2042. It's certainly longer than 20 years. It also depends on the home resort and when the purchase takes place. New contracts have a longer time period, some are out to 2064. We we're given the opportunity to extend our contracts to the new dates and I'm guessing we may have some other deal offered in the future.

Regarding the question on the DDP, we don't use the plans but I would guess that the member would have to book anything and everything associated with the DVC reservation. For example, unless I'm noted as an authorized associate on my wife's contract, I can't make or change reservations made under her contract. Likewise, she can't work with my contract. There is a provision for that associate access though.

I also think you would need either, the DVC Member card to show at the elevator to the TotW or a room key that notes "DVC Member". It used to be that the printed keys had "DVC Member" printed on them. That info is probably noted on the magic bands these days. I don't believe that, with rented points, DVC member will be noted and, technically, access to the lounge is granted only to DVC Members staying on points at the time. There are reports of folks being allowed up sometimes. It may be worth a try anyway. There's always drinks/dinner/snacks/deserts over at the Cali Grill too. If you can get a booking a bit before the fireworks anyway.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 11, 2016 10:35 am

Alacrity wrote:
Amy wrote: How fun ~ didn't know that about you and your wife!
I'd have to check the contracts but I believe our expire dates are 2042. It's certainly longer than 20 years. It also depends on the home resort and when the purchase takes place. New contracts have a longer time period, some are out to 2064. We we're given the opportunity to extend our contracts to the new dates and I'm guessing we may have some other deal offered in the future.

Regarding the question on the DDP, we don't use the plans but I would guess that the member would have to book anything and everything associated with the DVC reservation. For example, unless I'm noted as an authorized associate on my wife's contract, I can't make or change reservations made under her contract. Likewise, she can't work with my contract. There is a provision for that associate access though.

I also think you would need either, the DVC Member card to show at the elevator to the TotW or a room key that notes "DVC Member". It used to be that the printed keys had "DVC Member" printed on them. That info is probably noted on the magic bands these days. I don't believe that, with rented points, DVC member will be noted and, technically, access to the lounge is granted only to DVC Members staying on points at the time. There are reports of folks being allowed up sometimes. It may be worth a try anyway. There's always drinks/dinner/snacks/deserts over at the Cali Grill too. If you can get a booking a bit before the fireworks anyway.
Thanks for all the helpful info Alacrity! I wonder if they had purchased a DVC membership from someone re-selling it? I might ask them at some point, but they went through a super acrimonious divorce several years back and I'm not sure either one would be too willing to reminisce about that time in their lives :?
That's odd that husbands and wives wouldn't be able to make changes. You would think anyone in the same household would be authorized.
I was wondering about the use of the term "key card" as well. It was an older post, maybe a year or so ago, and I figured all information would be on the Magic Bands now. Maybe some day I'll be at WDW when someone I know that is a DVC member is there and we can go have a drink and watch the fireworks! :D

Alacrity

Post by Alacrity » Jan Mon 11, 2016 11:15 am

Amy wrote: Thanks for all the helpful info Alacrity! I wonder if they had purchased a DVC membership from someone re-selling it? I might ask them at some point, but they went through a super acrimonious divorce several years back and I'm not sure either one would be too willing to reminisce about that time in their lives :?
That's odd that husbands and wives wouldn't be able to make changes. You would think anyone in the same household would be authorized.
I was wondering about the use of the term "key card" as well. It was an older post, maybe a year or so ago, and I figured all information would be on the Magic Bands now. Maybe some day I'll be at WDW when someone I know that is a DVC member is there and we can go have a drink and watch the fireworks! :D
My wife and I bought our memberships before we met so they are two separate contracts. We have not re-deeded the contacts to make them (formally) jointly owned. Mostly due to the expense to re-deed and re-file the papers. Normally all owners would appear on the deed (like our house for example) and they would be jointly owned and we would not have to use the associate option. We're a little odd in that ours are actually separately owned contracts that pre-date our marriage.

All have to pay attention next time we go up there. I've been a couple times. We're staying at the Poly next trip, maybe we'll have to run over to BLT one evening!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Alacrity wrote:My wife and I bought our memberships before we met so they are two separate contracts. We have not re-deeded the contacts to make them (formally) jointly owned. Mostly due to the expense to re-deed and re-file the papers. Normally all owners would appear on the deed (like our house for example) and they would be jointly owned and we would not have to use the associate option. We're a little odd in that ours are actually separately owned contracts that pre-date our marriage.

All have to pay attention next time we go up there. I've been a couple times. We're staying at the Poly next trip, maybe we'll have to run over to BLT one evening!
Ah, that makes sense. No sense in spending extra money to make something formal when there is a work around in place.
Have you been to the Top of the World lounge? And are there other lounges specifically for DVC members?