Disney World Dining

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

littlered
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Disney World Dining

Post by littlered » Sep Sun 27, 2015 7:12 pm

What are your favorite restaurants to eat at in Walt Disney World? Why? I love counter service and I love the Electric Umbrella :goofy_bounce:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney World Dining

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 27, 2015 9:18 pm

We enjoy the Sunshine Seasons food court at the Land. It has several choices for food so everyone can choose what they want to eat. Plus they have tasty, and huge, rice krispie bricks for dessert! Our other favorite at EPCOT is Via Napoli. The pizza is good, but the real star for us is the Zeppole di Caterina for dessert ~ pure heaven in the shape of little fried pieces of dough...mmmmm!
We like Flame Tree Barbeque at Animal Kingdom. Big portions at reasonable prices, and very tasty BBQ :D

Captainnobeard
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by Captainnobeard » Sep Mon 28, 2015 12:40 pm

my favourite counter service locations are Flame tree in Animal Kingdom, Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom. not sure that Pecos Bills will stay at the top of the list for MK though, i'm not sure i like the sounds of the menu changes coming there later this week.

as for table service, that's a hard one, i love so many of them :) In Epcot, Akershus and Coral Reef are both great (but we're eating in Via Napoli on Halloween night, so that may change :) ) , Sci Fi has great atmosphere that makes up for the average food. my all time favourite though has to be Chef Mickey's, Mickey Mouse is my hero :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Captainnobeard wrote:my favourite counter service locations are Flame tree in Animal Kingdom, Sunshine Seasons in Epcot and Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom. not sure that Pecos Bills will stay at the top of the list for MK though, i'm not sure i like the sounds of the menu changes coming there later this week.

as for table service, that's a hard one, i love so many of them :) In Epcot, Akershus and Coral Reef are both great (but we're eating in Via Napoli on Halloween night, so that may change :) ) , Sci Fi has great atmosphere that makes up for the average food. my all time favourite though has to be Chef Mickey's, Mickey Mouse is my hero :)
Consider trying the Zeppole di Caterina at Via Napoli ~ hands down my favorite dessert I have ever had anywhere!

Captainnobeard

Post by Captainnobeard » Sep Mon 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Amy wrote: Consider trying the Zeppole di Caterina at Via Napoli ~ hands down my favorite dessert I have ever had anywhere!
those sound deadly.... i just may have to sacrifice myself to test them out :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 29, 2015 6:34 am

Captainnobeard wrote:
Amy wrote: Consider trying the Zeppole di Caterina at Via Napoli ~ hands down my favorite dessert I have ever had anywhere!
Welllll, you could share with your family, then there is less chance of danger, you know, in case you don't like them ;)

Captainnobeard

Post by Captainnobeard » Sep Tue 29, 2015 11:23 am

Amy wrote:
Captainnobeard wrote:
Welllll, you could share with your family, then there is less chance of danger, you know, in case you don't like them ;)

but that would be putting my family at risk. i think i'll just have to take the chance and not expose them to such danger :lol:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Yeah! That's the ticket! Good luck though...I had convinced Figment I wouldn't share the last time we got them, and she ended up eating more of them than I did :shock:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Wed 30, 2015 10:32 am

littlered wrote:What are your favorite restaurants to eat at in Walt Disney World? Why? I love counter service and I love the Electric Umbrella
Why do you like Electric Umbrella? Is it for the retro "original Epcot Center" decor? I still like the feel there. For quick serve it used to be my favorite but I would hold off on my burger fulfillment until I got over to Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's where they have generous toppings bars. Electric Umbrella used to be on par for toppings, but they took it out almost ten years ago. I chronicled this in my 2008 Trip Rport: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4037 including finding the Electric Umbrella's old toppings bar at Mouse Surplus.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Oct Thu 01, 2015 11:17 am

Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom (their dumplings are killer), The cinnamon bun (or loaf, considering it's size) at the new place at New Fantasy Land in the Magic Kingdom is fantastic especially for the price you pay... Just a few spots I like. Definitely could go on and on though.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Captainnobeard

Post by Captainnobeard » Oct Thu 01, 2015 8:55 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom (their dumplings are killer), The cinnamon bun (or loaf, considering it's size) at the new place at New Fantasy Land in the Magic Kingdom is fantastic especially for the price you pay... Just a few spots I like. Definitely could go on and on though.

glad to hear you love Yak and Yeti. we have reservations there end of the month and have never eaten there before. the reviews all look great for it :D

Tiger87
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Wed 07, 2015 7:47 am

For the year of 2015..It has to be Be Our Guest...My plate couldn't have been any better...and the dinning areas...you feel like you are in the castle...ADR"s are very difficult to get but very worth it :mickey:

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Oct Thu 08, 2015 12:30 pm

I love Jiko. Dined there 3 times now and it's my top choice. I think I'll book two dinners there on my next trip.

Tried Brown Derby for the first time and the beef wellington was great. We did the Fantasmic dining package which included an appetizer and the dessert sampler which is my preference. I'm not a sweets person typically.

Be Our Guest for breakfast was quite filling and very tasty. I had the open face bacon and egg sandwich. The fruit was prettier than it tasted but also not really necessary considering the portion size of the entree. Great value for a QS dining plan credit.

Also hit Citricos for a lovely lovely meal. The soup was sublime, the filet perfectly rare (so many restaurants don't believe me when I say I want it rare and serve me medium rare which I sometimes send back, sometimes not depending on how hungry I am). The gelato sample dessert was charmingly adorable and delicious!

Unfortunately, we also dined at The Plaza and it was a huge disappointment. Barely a half step above QS food quality and slow service. My philly cheese steak was 90% bread and the meat grisly. The brownies in the brownie sundae were huge but terribly dry, lacking in flavor, and hard as bricks (my brother kept flicking them with a knife to get them to crack, never happened). When the waiter asked, I told him honestly that they were the worst brownies I've ever tasted in my life. He wasn't at all surprised and offered to replace the dessert but all I really wanted was the ice cream anyways so I didn't let him. If we had been cash customers I hope they would have offered to strike it from the bill, but since we were using the dining plan, all he could do was shrug his shoulders. Best I can say about The Plaza: it was air conditioned.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 08, 2015 6:15 pm

JenMuse wrote:I love Jiko. Dined there 3 times now and it's my top choice. I think I'll book two dinners there on my next trip.

Tried Brown Derby for the first time and the beef wellington was great. We did the Fantasmic dining package which included an appetizer and the dessert sampler which is my preference. I'm not a sweets person typically.

Be Our Guest for breakfast was quite filling and very tasty. I had the open face bacon and egg sandwich. The fruit was prettier than it tasted but also not really necessary considering the portion size of the entree. Great value for a QS dining plan credit.

Also hit Citricos for a lovely lovely meal. The soup was sublime, the filet perfectly rare (so many restaurants don't believe me when I say I want it rare and serve me medium rare which I sometimes send back, sometimes not depending on how hungry I am). The gelato sample dessert was charmingly adorable and delicious!

Unfortunately, we also dined at The Plaza and it was a huge disappointment. Barely a half step above QS food quality and slow service. My philly cheese steak was 90% bread and the meat grisly. The brownies in the brownie sundae were huge but terribly dry, lacking in flavor, and hard as bricks (my brother kept flicking them with a knife to get them to crack, never happened). When the waiter asked, I told him honestly that they were the worst brownies I've ever tasted in my life. He wasn't at all surprised and offered to replace the dessert but all I really wanted was the ice cream anyways so I didn't let him. If we had been cash customers I hope they would have offered to strike it from the bill, but since we were using the dining plan, all he could do was shrug his shoulders. Best I can say about The Plaza: it was air conditioned.
I've never tried any of those ~ not sure if I would like Jiko as my tastes are pretty picky if I'm being honest. Might give it a whirl at some point. I would love to try the Brown Derby for the famous Cobb salad someday though. Where were your seats for Fantasmic then? Were they good for being part of the dining package?
Be Our Guest sounds intriguing. The portions must be larger than they appear in pictures. The price kind of stops me there, but if the portions are really large, Figment and I could easily share a meal then. Do you think they allow that? Do all of the meals come with fruit and pastries? Or is it different depending on what meal you order?
I really don't know much about Citricos other than I love the way it rolls of the tongue when you say it! Citricos ~ sounds so elegant and exotic.
My experience with the Plaza is limited. One night when Figment was having a low blood sugar problem, we had the juice she needed, but we also needed a quick protein, and they were very kind when I inquired at the podium about purchasing a few slices of cheese. Once I explained why I wanted to do that, the manager disappeared and reappeared right away with several slices of cheese and refused my offer of payment. For that, I will always be grateful for their help, but I've heard many other stories like your that the food isn't all that wonderful :(
Thanks for all your info ~ it's very helpful! :D

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Oct Thu 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Our Fantasmic Dining seats were in the Sorcerer Mickey section which is the center. We didn't get there as early as some, but still got great seats just outside of the splash zone. We got a little mist from the water projections but not enough to damage cameras/phones.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs