2015 is last year for Osborne Lights

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

2015 is last year for Osborne Lights

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 11, 2015 10:36 am

Just saw the announcement that this will indeed be the last year for the Osborne Lights at WDW. This news makes me very sad as that is one thing Figment and I have enjoyed every time we have been there over the holidays. I was sort of hoping to make it there this year just in case it was the last year they would have the lights, but I wasn't sure how I was going to make that happen. Now I'm really thinking we should try to get a trip in. Fingers crossed I can figure it out!

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: 2015 is last year for Osborne Lights

Post by SimonTemplar » Sep Fri 11, 2015 2:35 pm

I have seen the same thing out of several trusted WDW sources today, and I find it a sad development. As many times as I have been to WDW, I have never made it down during the Christmas holiday season, and always hoped to in order to see the decorations throughout the property, including the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. My parents are going down with my brother and his family this year, so I have told them to take plenty of pics and video. :)

Has anyone read or heard if there is a planned replacement?
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Sep Sat 12, 2015 6:26 am

I hope it's just a rumor!! I haven't been at Christmas time yet and would so like to see Osborne Lights!! Won't be able to go this year just so I can se it though!! Amy, I hope you have a productive day today and tomorrow!! Try and get some down time in there in between!! :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Sat 12, 2015 7:56 am

Well R this pans out, I will never have seen the lights turned on, in person. :( bummer. Saw them as they were being installed once...

Oh well, that's life.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Sat 12, 2015 8:25 pm

This November is the first time I'm going around the holidays and will have a chance to see the lights. A last chance as it turns out. Lucky timing. I will take lots of pictures and post a trip report for all the people who won't be able to make it (even though I know it's just not the same thing).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 12, 2015 10:06 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:I hope it's just a rumor!! I haven't been at Christmas time yet and would so like to see Osborne Lights!! Won't be able to go this year just so I can se it though!! Amy, I hope you have a productive day today and tomorrow!! Try and get some down time in there in between!! :D
Thanks ~ it really was a great day with lots of participants ~ 33, our biggest class ever! ~ and everyone eager to return tomorrow. Emergency service personnel are the best :goofy_bounce:
cy1229 wrote:Well R this pans out, I will never have seen the lights turned on, in person. :( bummer. Saw them as they were being installed once...

Oh well, that's life.
:( That is a bummer, but perhaps they will have something bigger and better someday that you will get to see.
ImagineerWannabe wrote:This November is the first time I'm going around the holidays and will have a chance to see the lights. A last chance as it turns out. Lucky timing. I will take lots of pictures and post a trip report for all the people who won't be able to make it (even though I know it's just not the same thing).
Glad you will get to see them. Pictures definitely don't do it justice, but it is the next best thing to being there!

jeremyleo
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by jeremyleo » Sep Mon 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Crap. Never got to see them in person myself. I wonder if the concept will show up somewhere else. I suppose one can hope...
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 14, 2015 1:53 pm

jeremyleo wrote:Crap. Never got to see them in person myself. I wonder if the concept will show up somewhere else. I suppose one can hope...
I'm hopeful, but the statement they released seemed pretty definite about the show ending for good. Never give up hope though!

jeremyleo

Post by jeremyleo » Sep Wed 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Amy wrote:
jeremyleo wrote:Crap. Never got to see them in person myself. I wonder if the concept will show up somewhere else. I suppose one can hope...
I'm hopeful, but the statement they released seemed pretty definite about the show ending for good. Never give up hope though!
Maybe a competing theme park will see this as an opportunity for them.
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 16, 2015 1:42 pm

jeremyleo wrote:
Amy wrote:
Maybe a competing theme park will see this as an opportunity for them.
Perhaps. That would definitely swing my choice to visit another park too!

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Fri 18, 2015 9:56 am

Amy wrote:Just saw the announcement that this will indeed be the last year for the Osborne Lights at WDW. This news makes me very sad as that is one thing Figment and I have enjoyed every time we have been there over the holidays. I was sort of hoping to make it there this year just in case it was the last year they would have the lights, but I wasn't sure how I was going to make that happen. Now I'm really thinking we should try to get a trip in. Fingers crossed I can figure it out!
Amy let me know when you might try a trip! I would love to drive up from Miami for a mini Sub-meet up!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Fri 18, 2015 11:57 am

Since it's just a bunch of lights and a few moving pieces...Disney could technically put it anywhere they wanted. I think I saw someone somewhere say they could put it at Wide World of Sport and maybe even make it a hard ticket event. The plus of having it in a park is that it forces people to go to that park to see it...and Disney doesn't really have much park space when you can't use the Studios.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 18, 2015 1:46 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Amy wrote:Just saw the announcement that this will indeed be the last year for the Osborne Lights at WDW. This news makes me very sad as that is one thing Figment and I have enjoyed every time we have been there over the holidays. I was sort of hoping to make it there this year just in case it was the last year they would have the lights, but I wasn't sure how I was going to make that happen. Now I'm really thinking we should try to get a trip in. Fingers crossed I can figure it out!
Amy let me know when you might try a trip! I would love to drive up from Miami for a mini Sub-meet up!
Will do ~ that would be awesome! I looked a little at packages today and was all excited when I saw the campgrounds were only from $69/night...I thought there were cabins there ~ looked a bit more and found out there aren't ~ oops! Figment wasn't thrilled when mentioned the option when I thought there were cabins anyhow, so I suppose it is just as well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 18, 2015 1:48 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Since it's just a bunch of lights and a few moving pieces...Disney could technically put it anywhere they wanted. I think I saw someone somewhere say they could put it at Wide World of Sport and maybe even make it a hard ticket event. The plus of having it in a park is that it forces people to go to that park to see it...and Disney doesn't really have much park space when you can't use the Studios.
Very true. It is the choice of working they used to say this was going to be the last year though. Sounded pretty final, but I'm still hoping it will end up somewhere. Having to purchase an additional ticket would make me consider whether the price would be worth it though. As something that is already included in the ticket price, we definitely love it, having to pay extra? Not sure where that price point would be.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Sep Fri 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:
Will do ~ that would be awesome! I looked a little at packages today and was all excited when I saw the campgrounds were only from $69/night...I thought there were cabins there ~ looked a bit more and found out there aren't ~ oops! Figment wasn't thrilled when mentioned the option when I thought there were cabins anyhow, so I suppose it is just as well.
There most definitely are cabins at Ft. Wilderness! But they're listed in the resorts, not in the campground. Let me see if I can dig up a link.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resor ... tes-rooms/

They are NOT cheap! I've always wanted to stay there, though. I think for the price, you could rent DVC points and stay in a treehouse. THAT would be COOL.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016