2015 is last year for Osborne Lights

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: 2015 is last year for Osborne Lights

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 18, 2015 6:57 pm

cy1229 wrote:There most definitely are cabins at Ft. Wilderness! But they're listed in the resorts, not in the campground. Let me see if I can dig up a link.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resor ... tes-rooms/

They are NOT cheap! I've always wanted to stay there, though. I think for the price, you could rent DVC points and stay in a treehouse. THAT would be COOL.
Oh my goodness ~ for that price I would stay in one of the deluxe resorts! Thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy, just misguided in how much I thought things cost :lol:
I'd go for a night in the treehouse, but not sure how accessible those are for Figment.
Thanks for the reminder of renting DVC points too ~ we actually have tickets from many years back that were never used and were the non-expire option, so we could do a DVC room and use those tickets perhaps. I don't know why, but I'm having more trouble getting into the planning of this trip. Too many other things going on and I'm not 100% sure we're going so I think that's it. At least I hope so.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Fri 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:There most definitely are cabins at Ft. Wilderness! But they're listed in the resorts, not in the campground. Let me see if I can dig up a link.

They are NOT cheap! I've always wanted to stay there, though. I think for the price, you could rent DVC points and stay in a treehouse. THAT would be COOL.
Oh my goodness ~ for that price I would stay in one of the deluxe resorts! Thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy, just misguided in how much I thought things cost :lol:
I'd go for a night in the treehouse, but not sure how accessible those are for Figment.
Thanks for the reminder of renting DVC points too ~ we actually have tickets from many years back that were never used and were the non-expire option, so we could do a DVC room and use those tickets perhaps. I don't know why, but I'm having more trouble getting into the planning of this trip. Too many other things going on and I'm not 100% sure we're going so I think that's it. At least I hope so.
There are some accessible tree houses. You should check it out. Although, they sleep 8-9 adults. Ya think that's enough room for you two? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Fri 18, 2015 8:57 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:

There are some accessible tree houses. You should check it out. Although, they sleep 8-9 adults. Ya think that's enough room for you two? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Party at the Shelley tree-house ~ all y'all are invited! :lol:

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Sat 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Amy wrote:Party at the Shelley tree-house ~ all y'all are invited! :lol:
I've always wanted to stay in one of the treehouses too. They look so cool! If you pick the right week I'll see ya at the party :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 19, 2015 8:56 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
Amy wrote:Party at the Shelley tree-house ~ all y'all are invited! :lol:
I've always wanted to stay in one of the treehouses too. They look so cool! If you pick the right week I'll see ya at the party :)
:lol: Doubt we can afford them if we go, but if we are there at the same time, we will definitely have to meet up somewhere!

jeremyleo
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by jeremyleo » Sep Mon 21, 2015 9:54 am

Amy wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:Since it's just a bunch of lights and a few moving pieces...Disney could technically put it anywhere they wanted. I think I saw someone somewhere say they could put it at Wide World of Sport and maybe even make it a hard ticket event. The plus of having it in a park is that it forces people to go to that park to see it...and Disney doesn't really have much park space when you can't use the Studios.
Very true. It is the choice of working they used to say this was going to be the last year though. Sounded pretty final, but I'm still hoping it will end up somewhere. Having to purchase an additional ticket would make me consider whether the price would be worth it though. As something that is already included in the ticket price, we definitely love it, having to pay extra? Not sure where that price point would be.
I would guess Disney has already considered how/where they could 'hard-ticket' the lights to make money off them. Disney will certainly reduce costs by not having to set them up and tear them down each season. I would also guess that removing them fits in with the Studios transformation plans regarding Star Wars changes.

Considering they are designed for the buildings at the Studios, likely not easy (or cheap) to retrofit somewhere else. Maybe they'll show up for sale and I can deck out my neighborhood...
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 21, 2015 10:41 am

jeremyleo wrote:...Considering they are designed for the buildings at the Studios, likely not easy (or cheap) to retrofit somewhere else. Maybe they'll show up for sale and I can deck out my neighborhood...
Let me know ~ I'll come see them! :lol:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Sep Mon 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Amy wrote:
jeremyleo wrote:...Considering they are designed for the buildings at the Studios, likely not easy (or cheap) to retrofit somewhere else. Maybe they'll show up for sale and I can deck out my neighborhood...
I'm fairly certain it's just lights that are strung up in certain patterns, based on my memory of them. Sure, there are the big pieces that are pre-constructed, but most of the lights are just strung up. Maybe I am wrong though.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Sep Mon 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Amy wrote:
Me too! Give the Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill some winter competition!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 21, 2015 8:45 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Amy wrote:
I'm fairly certain it's just lights that are strung up in certain patterns, based on my memory of them. Sure, there are the big pieces that are pre-constructed, but most of the lights are just strung up. Maybe I am wrong though.
That would be interesting to know ~ whether or not they have strung together nets of lights for the buildings, or if they are in individual strands!

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Sep Wed 23, 2015 8:13 am

Like just about everything at Disney, I'm bummed to see this go but excited for whatever is next. My strong suspicion is that once the transformation of the 'Studios to Disney's Hollywoodland Adventuretime Studiosburgh Parktown is complete, there will be a strong holiday presence akin to the Osborne Lights. 'Till then, I can't wait to run through the spectacle one more time during the Wine & Dine Half - it's one of the race highlights!

Chuckus95
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Chuckus95 » Sep Wed 23, 2015 9:46 am

We haven't seen the Osborne Lights in years. Looks like we will have to check it out one last time when we are there in November.

jeremyleo

Post by jeremyleo » Sep Wed 23, 2015 1:55 pm

ImagineerWannabe wrote:
Amy wrote:
Me too! Give the Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill some winter competition!
You might be on to something... :lol:
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

kosmosworld
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by kosmosworld » Sep Tue 29, 2015 10:05 am

Well that stinks! Those lights always made the Holiday time special over there.

Marty Moose

Post by Marty Moose » Sep Tue 29, 2015 11:01 am

There's a rumor on a reputable web site about moving the Osborne lights to EPCOT where the lights of winter were. Hope its true....
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."