All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: DHS Park Changes and Transformation

Post by cy1229 » Aug Thu 20, 2015 6:53 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Two rides? Was Radiator Springs Racers a store? :D

Rides are pretty critical, shows and parades are dull since it becomes an experience that can be summed up as "sit/stand there and stare at a thing". Immersive lands are neat, for about 10 mins, the customers are not going to live there nor will they be there longer than they have to, so you end up making a space that plays to pretty much no one. If it were about the setting than Colonial Williamsburg would be the greatest park ever.
Luigi's is closed to be replaced by something else, thus there are two left. I saw people spending a lot more than ten minutes, especially if they had grade school-aged children or younger, because they wanted to meet the Cars characters. We sat on a bench for about 15 minutes waiting for our fast pass return time, and saw plenty of people walking slowly, lingering, enjoying the area. Maybe the most cynical or rushed guests will only be in it for the ride factor, but that is just one type of Disney guest, and perhaps not even the most prevalent. The scores of people sitting on the side of Main Street up to two hours ahead of a parade didn't have a "sit here and stare at a thing" mentality. They were presumably anticipating an entertaining experience. Granted, not everyone is entertained by parades, but that doesn't make them any less entertaining for those who enjoy them. Same with shows, and same with themed areas.

And for what it's worth, Colonial Williamsburg IS one of the best experiences ever. Granted, its thrill factor is pretty low, but that doesn't make its entertainment value low.

Reality is, not everyone shares the "rides rides rides" mindset, and I argue that as many as 3/4 the people who go to Disney parks are willing to pay the high price of admission because it is more than rides. It's the whole experience.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Thu 20, 2015 10:10 pm

It is more the brand recognition, same reason why people dine at chain establishments. If an independent company offered the same/better experience, it would likely fail since it would not be on the radar of flyovers.

Searlproudbottom
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Searlproudbottom » Aug Fri 21, 2015 6:44 am

Reality is, not everyone shares the "rides rides rides" mindset, and I argue that as many as 3/4 the people who go to Disney parks are willing to pay the high price of admission because it is more than rides. It's the whole experience.
I agree, I am one of those 3/4.
That said you have to ask yourself why do many park goers, myself included claim that the DS and AK are only half day parks. Creating a 14 acre land with an E ticket and D ticket ride will in my opinion be a great success in keeping the folks in the park . But for return guests like most of us here it will be short lived. Next time your over DS pay attention to what the crowds are doing along Sunset Blvd. My family and I are one of those many people that walk straight down Sunset Blvd. without stopping, ride R&R, TOT and then back. We have been in every shop more than once. They all sell Disney Merchandise so to us there is no Disney experience here. The Disney experience is different for every one but it is of my opinion it's ithe rides that are the anchor and without them a park will not be a success over the long term.

Searl

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Fri 21, 2015 7:49 am

Searlproudbottom wrote:
I agree, I am one of those 3/4.
That said you have to ask yourself why do many park goers, myself included claim that the DS and AK are only half day parks. Creating a 14 acre land with an E ticket and D ticket ride will in my opinion be a great success in keeping the folks in the park . But for return guests like most of us here it will be short lived. Next time your over DS pay attention to what the crowds are doing along Sunset Blvd. My family and I are one of those many people that walk straight down Sunset Blvd. without stopping, ride R&R, TOT and then back. We have been in every shop more than once. They all sell Disney Merchandise so to us there is no Disney experience here. The Disney experience is different for every one but it is of my opinion it's ithe rides that are the anchor and without them a park will not be a success over the long term.

Searl
I completely agree with that analysis of DHS. Buena Vista Street in DCA is similar, but there are a couple non-shopping things mixed in, like the trolley and the Disney Junior theater and characters. DHS needs a few things like that to slow people down a bit.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Fri 21, 2015 10:17 pm

But having content geared towards younger age groups is futile, you literally will have two groups of non-children using those attractions, bored people forced to go on and people that are required to notify their neighbors when they move in. No, you really can't have an attraction that is "fun for all ages", outside of rare instances, as it will either be boring or too intense. Which is what Disney learned a while ago.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Sat 22, 2015 9:18 am

Wizzard419 wrote:But having content geared towards younger age groups is futile, you literally will have two groups of non-children using those attractions, bored people forced to go on and people that are required to notify their neighbors when they move in. No, you really can't have an attraction that is "fun for all ages", outside of rare instances, as it will either be boring or too intense. Which is what Disney learned a while ago.
It's pretty presumptuous to assume that parents experiencing an attraction geared toward kids with their own children aren't enjoying themselves. Parents love to watch their kids having fun, and love having their brand of fun with them. Otherwise, the entire bubble soap industry would collapse.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Just because they are happy that their children are happy does not equate to them enjoying the brand beyond the functionality. If it did, then there would be a stronger marketing push for the content beyond the target group. Disney recognizes that you can't make an experience enjoyable for everyone, when done right it at least takes as much of the suck out of the experience as possible for less interested parties.

mkfan1992

Post by mkfan1992 » Aug Sat 22, 2015 6:08 pm

horizons1 wrote:
octoberbarry wrote:I for one am VERY excited about the developments. I felt last summer like the Studios was starting to become a bit of a tired shadow of itself, propping itself up with 'Frozen' events, and such. These two areas - Star Wars and Toy Story - could become very fun additions to a day well spent...I can't wait to see more details as they are released, and watch the areas being built...
Here's more info and some pics

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... d-resorts/

But where in Disneyland will they put it?
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it on here, but the rumor is that Toontown would be axed as part of Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 22, 2015 6:40 pm

mkfan1992 wrote:
horizons1 wrote:
octoberbarry wrote:I for one am VERY excited about the developments. I felt last summer like the Studios was starting to become a bit of a tired shadow of itself, propping itself up with 'Frozen' events, and such. These two areas - Star Wars and Toy Story - could become very fun additions to a day well spent...I can't wait to see more details as they are released, and watch the areas being built...
Here's more info and some pics

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... d-resorts/

But where in Disneyland will they put it?
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it on here, but the rumor is that Toontown would be axed as part of Star Wars Land at Disneyland.
:shock: Really?! Oh, that is sad :( I'm glad we got to go on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin on our last trip in case that happens :D

Searlproudbottom

Post by Searlproudbottom » Aug Sun 23, 2015 8:31 am

Next time your over DS pay attention to what the crowds are doing along Sunset Blvd. My family and I are one of those many people that walk straight down Sunset Blvd. without stopping, ride R&R, TOT and then back. We have been in every shop more than once. They all sell Disney Merchandise so to us there is no Disney experience here.
After writing this on an earlier post it got me to thinking of my early days at Disneyland. There was a time I used to really enjoy meandering in all of the little shops on Main Street and throughout the park. As I remember Disneyland sold all kinds of merchandise and was not Disney specific. I can remember buying Pendleton wool shirts over in a shop around Frontierland. They sold really nice clothing and blankets. Maybe if Disney started inserting some shops that were different the folks would stop and enjoy some of the Disney Experience while on their way to an amusement. I recently saw a business "Sweet Petes" on an Episode called the Profit.

Maybe a shop like this would be a good start.

https://www.facebook.com/sweetpetes

Searl

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Mon 24, 2015 9:06 pm

But they do have that, such as the quicksilver stuff sold in Adventureland, I want to say they have specialized stuff in Frontierland too...

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Mon 31, 2015 11:29 am

Searlproudbottom wrote:
Next time your over DS pay attention to what the crowds are doing along Sunset Blvd. My family and I are one of those many people that walk straight down Sunset Blvd. without stopping, ride R&R, TOT and then back. We have been in every shop more than once. They all sell Disney Merchandise so to us there is no Disney experience here.
After writing this on an earlier post it got me to thinking of my early days at Disneyland. There was a time I used to really enjoy meandering in all of the little shops on Main Street and throughout the park. As I remember Disneyland sold all kinds of merchandise and was not Disney specific. I can remember buying Pendleton wool shirts over in a shop around Frontierland. They sold really nice clothing and blankets. Maybe if Disney started inserting some shops that were different the folks would stop and enjoy some of the Disney Experience while on their way to an amusement. I recently saw a business "Sweet Petes" on an Episode called the Profit.

Maybe a shop like this would be a good start.

https://www.facebook.com/sweetpetes

Searl
Oh my gosh! I bought a Pendleton blanket one time there on a cold night in Cali! Living in SoCal for almost 25 years I was a Disneyland girl. I've been in Florida for years now and I'm a regular at WDW! I do completely agree with you that they have to have more of a variety of things to buy there at WDW, do you remember the One-Of-A-Kind Shop in Disneyland? That was a really neat place too!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Sep Tue 01, 2015 3:01 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:But having content geared towards younger age groups is futile, you literally will have two groups of non-children using those attractions, bored people forced to go on and people that are required to notify their neighbors when they move in. No, you really can't have an attraction that is "fun for all ages", outside of rare instances, as it will either be boring or too intense. Which is what Disney learned a while ago.
It's pretty presumptuous to assume that parents experiencing an attraction geared toward kids with their own children aren't enjoying themselves. Parents love to watch their kids having fun, and love having their brand of fun with them. Otherwise, the entire bubble soap industry would collapse.
I tend to agree with Cy. Look at Fantasyland: almost every attraction is something I can and have taken our now 19 month-old son on. Peter Pan, Small World, Tea Cups, Under the Sea, Dumbo, Enchanted Tales - he loves them, and they're all things I look forward to. Not necessarily because they're the best or my favorites, but because I like to see him having fun and I like to try to experience the attractions anew through his eyes.

If you want to know what Toy Story Land will be like, I don't think you have to look further than the "A Bug's Land" section of California Adventure, but bigger and Walt Disney Worldier. Off-the-shelf ride attractions themed on Toy Story, with a signature ride (the Slinky Dog Coaster, if memory serves?) and a show or two.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Sep Wed 02, 2015 9:18 am

I also agree with the all ages rides. I am taking my son next month for his first trip ever and he will be only 15 months. Obviously our rides are limited, but i'm SO excited to see him experience these rides...but also throughout the years experience them again with him and see how his reactions change as he gets older.
Plus, as an adult (i use the term adult very loosely. hehe) I still enjoy those rides as it is a magical journey away from "real life" and transforming me to be a kid again. I'm all for the mix of rides...but certainly not against more all ages rides.

Good call on the comparison of Bug's Land to Toy Story Land. I'm sure it is very "honey i shrunk the kids-esk" Love it either way!

I'm not a Star Wars fan at all -- so I just figure that whole land will just take away people from other parts of the park so those other rides will be less busy! :-)

BenB

Post by BenB » Sep Sat 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I enjoy the rides with my kids, then I come back after they go to bed and enjoy them again without my kids. There are very few Disney attractions that my kids like but I don't.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.