DHS Park Changes and Transformation

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

DHS Park Changes and Transformation

Post by Len90 » Aug Sat 15, 2015 5:58 pm

It looks like we finally have some confirmation on what will be happening over the next couple of years to Disney's Hollywood Studios. The park is in for a major overhaul which we already see starting to take shape.

D23 Expo has CONFIRMED the following changes:
Toy Story Land: Looks to fill out the backlot area of the park. New features will be a Slinky dog family friendly roller coaster and alien saucer attraction. More character meet and greets as well. Theming: looks to be like Andy's backyard. Also confirmed was the third track for Midway Mania. Looks to be 11 acres of area for this. This is rumored to be like Cars Land when all is said and done.

Star Wars Land: Not sure if both Disneyland and WDW will be the same on this but talks have it as 14 acres of Star Wars theming. Star Tours will see some updated scenes to give you the possible "adventure" from the new movie.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

chaphome
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Re: DHS Park Changes and Transformation

Post by chaphome » Aug Sun 16, 2015 7:44 am

i think i will miss the nostalgia of the current park but it was definitely becoming a half-day park...just hoping they keep hollywood and sunset boulevards in tact!

octoberbarry
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by octoberbarry » Aug Sun 16, 2015 9:40 am

I for one am VERY excited about the developments. I felt last summer like the Studios was starting to become a bit of a tired shadow of itself, propping itself up with 'Frozen' events, and such. These two areas - Star Wars and Toy Story - could become very fun additions to a day well spent...I can't wait to see more details as they are released, and watch the areas being built...

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Sun 16, 2015 11:25 am

octoberbarry wrote:I for one am VERY excited about the developments. I felt last summer like the Studios was starting to become a bit of a tired shadow of itself, propping itself up with 'Frozen' events, and such. These two areas - Star Wars and Toy Story - could become very fun additions to a day well spent...I can't wait to see more details as they are released, and watch the areas being built...
Here's more info and some pics

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... d-resorts/

But where in Disneyland will they put it?
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 16, 2015 3:35 pm

horizons1 wrote:
octoberbarry wrote:I for one am VERY excited about the developments. I felt last summer like the Studios was starting to become a bit of a tired shadow of itself, propping itself up with 'Frozen' events, and such. These two areas - Star Wars and Toy Story - could become very fun additions to a day well spent...I can't wait to see more details as they are released, and watch the areas being built...
Here's more info and some pics

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... d-resorts/

But where in Disneyland will they put it?
They just had a news story not too long ago about DL purchasing about 15 acres of land ~ my bet is there, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Not quite, whatever infrastructure buildings that would be displaced (if they expanding guest areas) would likely go there, at least according to their PR rep. http://fortune.com/2015/08/05/disneylan ... 60million/

Considering that almost every side of their property is surrounded by a major road or freeway, I am going to say the park has almost no chance of expanding beyond the outer limit. Though I bet that is going to be super fun for the workers who will have to regularly go between the park and whatever offices get relocated.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Sun 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not quite, whatever infrastructure buildings that would be displaced (if they expanding guest areas) would likely go there, at least according to their PR rep. http://fortune.com/2015/08/05/disneylan ... 60million/

Considering that almost every side of their property is surrounded by a major road or freeway, I am going to say the park has almost no chance of expanding beyond the outer limit. Though I bet that is going to be super fun for the workers who will have to regularly go between the park and whatever offices get relocated.
Pedestrian bridges? Tunnels?

Seems like the bus loading and unloading area could move across the street if a bridge or tunnel to cross Harbor was also installed. As well, as you describe, moving some of the office / support structures. I was very impressed by DLR's efficient use of space. I'm sure a Star Wars Land would work quite well in the existing space if the same economy of space was applied.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sun 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Probably too far away (if we are talking about worker paths) and way too far of a walk if it is for paying customers That walk would probably be about 1/2 mile, a security screening and another line to get in. Option two would only be viable if the two properties directly touched. I believe some of the workers at DLR park at the former site of the grand hotel (next to the toy story lot) and take buses to the property. I would not be too impressed with their space savings, for years/decades they had tons of floats sitting backstage. Since it costs money to dispose of things, and not everything can be sold off as surplus, they only get rid of things when it is absolutely necessary.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 16, 2015 6:24 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not quite, whatever infrastructure buildings that would be displaced (if they expanding guest areas) would likely go there, at least according to their PR rep. http://fortune.com/2015/08/05/disneylan ... 60million/

Ah, well, there goes that theory :lol:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

The Star Wars expansion for Disneyland would have to take over the backstage areas which is cleared out by moving offices across the street. I think we will see a pedestrian bridge using the Carousel Inn as the link between the two. The issue I see is Star Tours in DLR is over in Tomorrowland... I assume that will have to close and move making way for something to take its place. Maybe another simulator ride?

As for the Studios... I think we are going to be in for a few years of nothing but walls. The park will shrink as areas get closed down for the reimmagination and the park will surely take on a temporary 1/2 day title. Also looks like a lot of my earlier thinking is right with how things will go. I'm just a little surprised they are going for a full Toy Story land and not leaving it more open for change with the Pixar Place theme.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Aug Mon 17, 2015 9:56 am

As much as I love the 'Studios, having a young child has made the park such a different experience for us! There's not one attraction we can take him on, and my guess is that'll change in a big way especially with the expanded Toy Story presence.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Mon 17, 2015 12:50 pm

zhoover wrote:
As much as I love the 'Studios, having a young child has made the park such a different experience for us! There's not one attraction we can take him on, and my guess is that'll change in a big way especially with the expanded Toy Story presence.
That's how it was for us in 2001 when the girls were small. We didn't even go to (then) MGM because they were 7 and 3 and it was pretty pointless. Hopefully these changes will make it more of a park for everybody and not just the over-10 group.

With regard to what Len90 said about the walls and such, I think it'll probably end up being very similar to what happened at DCA when they reimagined that park, in that it essentially closed down for awhile, then had a grand re-opening. I never went to the original DCA but I can tell you it's really good now. We thoroughly enjoyed the environment. The "ride density" isn't very high, but I don't think that's what DCA is entirely about, either, and I think DHS is intended to be a similar environment as at least part of DCA, where you're immersed in a certain environment or atmosphere that also includes a couple rides.

Focusing on Toy Story instead of Pixar in general also seems somewhat short-sighted to me. I'm sure Pixar has a lot more hits in its future that Disney would want to at least capitalize on temporarily if not incorporate permanently into a Pixar-themed park area. Dont get me wrong, I love me some Toy Story. But my personal favorite is Monsters, Inc. and I'm sure everyone here has their own favorite Pixar film that they would like to see included. I wonder why they landed entirely on Toy Story. Is it because of the generic nature of the characters in the film (except for the main characters)?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Aug Mon 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: I would not be too impressed with their space savings, for years/decades they had tons of floats sitting backstage. Since it costs money to dispose of things, and not everything can be sold off as surplus, they only get rid of things when it is absolutely necessary.
But compared to WDW, they're genius at using space well. GENIUS. I guess it's all relative.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Aug Mon 17, 2015 3:36 pm

cy1229 wrote:Focusing on Toy Story instead of Pixar in general also seems somewhat short-sighted to me. I'm sure Pixar has a lot more hits in its future that Disney would want to at least capitalize on temporarily if not incorporate permanently into a Pixar-themed park area. Dont get me wrong, I love me some Toy Story. But my personal favorite is Monsters, Inc. and I'm sure everyone here has their own favorite Pixar film that they would like to see included. I wonder why they landed entirely on Toy Story. Is it because of the generic nature of the characters in the film (except for the main characters)?
I was also hoping for more of a “Monsters, Inc./U” presence, but I completely understand why they went with “Toy Story:” by the time the area opens there will be four full-length features released, several short films and endless possibilities for more. Without looking I can't imagine there's another Pixar property other than (maybe) “Cars” that's had nearly the same merchandising success. Also – and this plays into the decision making for the Star Wars expansion also, I imagine - the first movie is twenty years old, which means that those of us who grew up with those movies are establishing families, and the smart money is on building attractions with multi-generational appeal.

Someday, at some park, they’ll build the inverted roller coaster based on the closet door chase scene from the end of “Monster’s Inc.” I’ll see you in line on opening day!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Tue 18, 2015 8:22 am

Yeah...Toy Story provides you with endless merchandise opportunities. I mean...it's a movie about toys. What other movie is still able to churn out merchandise after 20+ years? Toy Story will also always live on because of the great shorts that Disney/Pixar has continued to put out. They've done the same thing with Cars...and it keeps the IP relevant and fresh without spending as much money. I'm actually shocked that there haven't been 6+ Frozen shorts by now.

Once the transformation is done, I expect DHS to become a 2-day park. That is huge because right now it is a half day park at best. If Disney can make it a 2-day park, they can convince guests to stay longer. If guests stay longer, they spend more money. So Disney will have a very nice ROI on all of this, and at the same time their guests will be happier and feel like they're getting a better value for their money.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)