DHS Park Changes and Transformation

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: DHS Park Changes and Transformation

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Mon 14, 2015 11:29 am

It's hard for me to tell what is a "1/2 day park" versus a "full-day park" as I am not "the average guest to WDW". I can do MK in a 1/2 day and see virtually every single ride in the place through Fast Pass and planning. People who say DHA and DAK are 1/2 day are probably close to being correct, but I would have to reasonably conclude the average "Disney Park IQ" of anyone on this site is in the upper echelons comparatively. I could totally see how the average family who has been to the parks 0-3 times previously may very well take a full day at DAK; it is truly a huge (spatially) park and if you do take some time to shop, or see the animals, or watch a parade, or try some attractions that might not appeal to a repeat visitor I don't think it's unreasonable to believe people take a full day. I know a lot of people who stay on property also tend to go back to their room to take a pool (and/or nap) break; especially those with younger children.

I mean for me I prefer parks with a lot of attractions as I'm in the demographic who doesn't stop at shops, doesn't take a break either to sit down or go back to a resort, doesn't bask in the atmosphere (as quite frankly with thousands of people mobbing the place it's hard for me to really feel transported anywhere when I'm not on an attraction). That doesn't mean I can't appreciate that without parks becoming so-called 2+ day parks, I'll never get a full-day's worth of unique attractions. But that's fine, because when I go to DHS I just re-ride the heck out of ToT and RnR and I quite like Dinosaur at DAK (though I almost always reserve DAK for a day I know I'll be 1/4 daying it ;) ).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:It's hard for me to tell what is a "1/2 day park" versus a "full-day park" as I am not "the average guest to WDW". I can do MK in a 1/2 day and see virtually every single ride in the place through Fast Pass and planning. People who say DHA and DAK are 1/2 day are probably close to being correct, but I would have to reasonably conclude the average "Disney Park IQ" of anyone on this site is in the upper echelons comparatively. I could totally see how the average family who has been to the parks 0-3 times previously may very well take a full day at DAK; it is truly a huge (spatially) park and if you do take some time to shop, or see the animals, or watch a parade, or try some attractions that might not appeal to a repeat visitor I don't think it's unreasonable to believe people take a full day. I know a lot of people who stay on property also tend to go back to their room to take a pool (and/or nap) break; especially those with younger children.

I mean for me I prefer parks with a lot of attractions as I'm in the demographic who doesn't stop at shops, doesn't take a break either to sit down or go back to a resort, doesn't bask in the atmosphere (as quite frankly with thousands of people mobbing the place it's hard for me to really feel transported anywhere when I'm not on an attraction). That doesn't mean I can't appreciate that without parks becoming so-called 2+ day parks, I'll never get a full-day's worth of unique attractions. But that's fine, because when I go to DHS I just re-ride the heck out of ToT and RnR and I quite like Dinosaur at DAK (though I almost always reserve DAK for a day I know I'll be 1/4 daying it ;) ).
Interesting observations. It is fun to see how different people approach the parks. Figment and I love AK, but we are ones that will stop and watch/take pictures/interact with the animal trainers at the animal exhibits. And we love seeing the shows, It's Tough to be a Bug is one of our favorites, and I really love Finding Nemo the musical, although I think Figment can take or leave that one now that she has seen it a few times.
I'm a little sad the focus of DHS is going to be so heavily centered on Star Wars things though. I do enjoy Star Tours, but a lot of the whole Star Wars franchise is lost on me as I'm just not that interested in it. Haven't seen more than the one movie ~ whatever version Mark Hamilton and Harrison Ford was in, and I haven't seen that since I was a fairly young child. Will I go and experience the shows and attractions at least once? Yes. Will I enjoy them? Possibly. But it would be like me going to Universal Orlando to the Harry Potter section. Never read the books, saw half the first movie, don't really know the characters or more than the basic premise of the books/movies. The park looks amazingly themed, and I'd love to ride the two Harry Potter rides, but it isn't something I would likely ooo and ah over and want to go again and again because I just don't have the same background as a fan of that character. I'm very happy for people who love the Star Wars theme, as I think they'll really be getting a cool experience, but I'm probably going to be more excited that people will be flocking to that area and I can enjoy other attractions with reduced wait times! :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Sep Mon 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:It's hard for me to tell what is a "1/2 day park" versus a "full-day park" as I am not "the average guest to WDW". I can do MK in a 1/2 day and see virtually every single ride in the place through Fast Pass and planning. People who say DHA and DAK are 1/2 day are probably close to being correct, but I would have to reasonably conclude the average "Disney Park IQ" of anyone on this site is in the upper echelons comparatively. I could totally see how the average family who has been to the parks 0-3 times previously may very well take a full day at DAK; it is truly a huge (spatially) park and if you do take some time to shop, or see the animals, or watch a parade, or try some attractions that might not appeal to a repeat visitor I don't think it's unreasonable to believe people take a full day. I know a lot of people who stay on property also tend to go back to their room to take a pool (and/or nap) break; especially those with younger children.

You're one of those Disney people who is all about the "rides." You're probably in the minority on this website, but in at least a simple majority of all Disney park attenders on any given day. A lot of us have developed (? not sure that's the right word) an appreciation for the atmosphere and other elements of Disney parks in addition to the attractions. THIS IS NOT A PUTDOWN. You have a different way of approaching Disney and have different things you want to get out of your trips - which is great, because variety spices life. When you said MK is a half-day park I was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: because I can spend 2 full days in MK and not do everything I want to do. :lol:

So I guess my point is that what I might consider a full day or half-day park others might completely disagree, and we're probably talking in averages at best. And even then, it depends on the age group. What you say about DAK is completely right, especially if you have children in the group that love animals. They'd want to spend a lot of time there. When my girls were 7 and 3 we didn't even make it to MGM (now DHS and soon to be what, now?). They were too small for a lot of what was there and we decided DAK, MK, and Epcot fit them better, along with a water park. When we went back when they were 13 and 9, we loved DHS. What someone will call a full day park in one phase of life, too, will probably change in another.

Totally with you on "riding the heck out of ToT and RnR." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Tue 15, 2015 9:26 pm

MK can actually be a half-day park if you take out things you don't care about such as walk through rides, rides that are exact replicas of other park attractions (if you are near another park), and shows/parades. I mean, not everyone is into MILF, after all. :D