DHS Park Changes and Transformation

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

GTodaro
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Re: DHS Park Changes and Transformation

Post by GTodaro » Aug Tue 18, 2015 8:55 am

Just back from a 1 week vacation to all four parks and water parks.... Great time.
I little disappointed in what I perceive is a lack of live entertainment that I remember all the times that I went as a kid....
Need to get back to some live acts.... especially in the Magic Kingdom....
Something for family's to do as their eating..... etc...

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Tue 18, 2015 11:59 am

cy1229 wrote: The "ride density" isn't very high, but I don't think that's what DCA is entirely about, either, and I think DHS is intended to be a similar environment as at least part of DCA, where you're immersed in a certain environment or atmosphere that also includes a couple rides.
That's the most positive spin I have ever heard on a Disney park not having enough attractions. For me, I expect an immersive environment as a given at any Disney park. Next, the question is whether or not the park is intended to be a full day or half day park. If you ask Disney, they would say all their parks are full day (as you can tell by the pricing) but the reality is something different. DHS has grown into a 3/4 day park. With Star Wars Land, it might be a place you could spend the whole day. That, of course, assumes you have to wait in lines and schedule shows. Expert guests (like us) can always find ways to do even the biggest park in less time.

Thinking about Disneyland... if they asked me (still waiting for them to ask) I'd take out Autopia and incorporate that whole space into the Innoventions/Carousel show building and make that Star Wars Land. Or bulldoze innoventions and have that much more real estate.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Tue 18, 2015 12:37 pm

I think once Star Wars and Toy Story are complete, DHS will be a 2-day park. The reason is because the only way to ride everything will be to spend 2 days in that park. Sure, you can try doing everything in one day, but it better be when the crowds are extremely low. Just think about how bad the lines are today at TSMM, and that is in a park that has other headliner attractions like RnR and ToT. I expect lots of folks and long lines in DHS once everything is done. I also assume that the Indy Stunt Show will be going away in order to make room for Star Wars...and that means an attraction that holds lots of people in one place is going away...sending those people to other areas in the park.

The main purpose for FP+ is to distribute people around the parks...making wait times for all minor attractions go up in favor of keeping the headliner wait times a little lower. For that reason of spreading people around the park...doing everything at DHS will end up taking you more than one day.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Aug Tue 18, 2015 5:40 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:The main purpose for FP+ is to distribute people around the parks...making wait times for all minor attractions go up in favor of keeping the headliner wait times a little lower. For that reason of spreading people around the park...doing everything at DHS will end up taking you more than one day.
Assuming the minor attractions are worth the wait and not yet another version of Dumbo (yeah, I'm looking skeptically at you, you adorable Green Aliens and your saucer spin). If they re-theme Mater's ride from DCA in some fashion, I'll be happy to wait for it (it's very fun) but the last thing WDW needs is a 5th Dumbo ride (i.e. Dumbo, the Rockets, Aladdin, & Triceratop spin).

I love the experience of Carsland and Bug's World. Now if could fine a space for a Monster's universe with the same attention to detail, that would be awesome!
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Tue 18, 2015 9:40 pm

horizons1 wrote:
cy1229 wrote: The "ride density" isn't very high, but I don't think that's what DCA is entirely about, either, and I think DHS is intended to be a similar environment as at least part of DCA, where you're immersed in a certain environment or atmosphere that also includes a couple rides.
That's the most positive spin I have ever heard on a Disney park not having enough attractions. For me, I expect an immersive environment as a given at any Disney park. Next, the question is whether or not the park is intended to be a full day or half day park. If you ask Disney, they would say all their parks are full day (as you can tell by the pricing) but the reality is something different. DHS has grown into a 3/4 day park. With Star Wars Land, it might be a place you could spend the whole day. That, of course, assumes you have to wait in lines and schedule shows. Expert guests (like us) can always find ways to do even the biggest park in less time.

Thinking about Disneyland... if they asked me (still waiting for them to ask) I'd take out Autopia and incorporate that whole space into the Innoventions/Carousel show building and make that Star Wars Land. Or bulldoze innoventions and have that much more real estate.
I am assuming you meant "Never heard of a Disney park not having enough attractions" because that was the exact argument for issues with DCA when it opened, which led to the rapid building of ToT and the overhaul plans. Throw in that, unlike WDW, the parks generally are designed to stand on their own. For example I do not think AK and DHS are worth the price of single day, single park admission with what they had to offer at their peaks.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Wed 19, 2015 7:42 am

JenMuse wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:The main purpose for FP+ is to distribute people around the parks...making wait times for all minor attractions go up in favor of keeping the headliner wait times a little lower. For that reason of spreading people around the park...doing everything at DHS will end up taking you more than one day.
Assuming the minor attractions are worth the wait and not yet another version of Dumbo (yeah, I'm looking skeptically at you, you adorable Green Aliens and your saucer spin). If they re-theme Mater's ride from DCA in some fashion, I'll be happy to wait for it (it's very fun) but the last thing WDW needs is a 5th Dumbo ride (i.e. Dumbo, the Rockets, Aladdin, & Triceratop spin).

I love the experience of Carsland and Bug's World. Now if could fine a space for a Monster's universe with the same attention to detail, that would be awesome!
That's what a lot of us are hoping happens to Streets of America...that it changes over to Monstropolis or something like that. Sure, I'd be sad to see that area change, but if the park is no longer a "working studio" then there is no need for a bland, fake NYC and San Francisco that is only there for photo ops.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 19, 2015 11:31 am

theBIGyowski wrote:
JenMuse wrote:

That's what a lot of us are hoping happens to Streets of America...that it changes over to Monstropolis or something like that. Sure, I'd be sad to see that area change, but if the park is no longer a "working studio" then there is no need for a bland, fake NYC and San Francisco that is only there for photo ops.
True, it really doesn't have much purpose back there anymore does it? I do hope they find somewhere for the Osborne Lights to live though ~ those are one of our favorite things to go see when we go :goofy_bounce:

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Wed 19, 2015 12:14 pm

The good thing about the Osborne Lights is that they can go anywhere. I have a feeling they'd stick around through construction at least...to keep people going to DHS in the evenings during November/December.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 19, 2015 12:55 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:The good thing about the Osborne Lights is that they can go anywhere. I have a feeling they'd stick around through construction at least...to keep people going to DHS in the evenings during November/December.
Yeah, they are confirmed for this year. And it wouldn't be the first time they moved as they used to be on the actual residential streets where LMA is now. That was really fun to see them now, but they really are bigger and brighter as they are now with the dancing and music.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Wed 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: I am assuming you meant "Never heard of a Disney park not having enough attractions" because that was the exact argument for issues with DCA when it opened, which led to the rapid building of ToT and the overhaul plans. Throw in that, unlike WDW, the parks generally are designed to stand on their own. For example I do not think AK and DHS are worth the price of single day, single park admission with what they had to offer at their peaks.
No, I meant what I said. cy1229's take on DHS and DCA is putting a positive spin on what I think is a problem - not enough attractions to be regarded as a full-day park. Not saying it's wrong, just optimistic.

Wizzard, I completely agree - I don't think AK or DHS are worth a single day, single park admission, but I think they can both get there. With DHS adding Star Wars Land and AK adding Avatar, I wonder what they will do to help.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Searlproudbottom
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Searlproudbottom » Aug Wed 19, 2015 5:53 pm

So here are just a few of my thoughts on the new announcements that came from 2015 D23.

They are not intended to offend anyone.

I am still on the fence regarding the changes to the Disney Studios. Mostly because of my disappointment of the Fantasyland expansion. Is it me or was their way to much hype and not a lot of substance.
This Expansion included one D ticket ride "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train" and one C ticket ride " Journey of the Little Mermaid". The addition of another Dumbo. to double ride occupancy. Then there was a water play area, Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston's Tavern and the Enchanted Tales with Belle. There was a new meet and greet and the highly anticipated and ever so publicized Fantasyland bathrooms.

Here's the link, pick your article. https://www.google.com/#q=new+fantasyland+bathrooms

So how long does it take the average person to do everything in the expansion. That is if you're the first person in line at opening. I am guessing about the same amount of time it take to have a nice dinner at Be our Guest.

So Here is the Time line Just about 5 years from the announcement at 2009 D23

• September 12, 2009: At the D23 Expo, Disney officially announces plans to expand Fantasyland. It will include new rides, shows, meet and greets, restaurants, and store. Concept art is also shown.
• February 11, 2011: Mickey's Toontown Fair closes for the expansion.
• March 12, 2012: The Barnstormer, Fantasyland train station, and the first half of the new Dumbo the Flying Elephant open.
• May 31, 2012: Snow White's Scary Adventures closes to make room for the Princess Fairytale Hall.
• July 2012: Second half of the Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Storybook Circus queue, and Casey Jr Soak N Splash Station open
• October 4, 2012: Pete's Silly Sideshow and Big Top Souvenirs open.
• December 6, 2012: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid and Enchanted Tales with Belle open.
• March 8, 2013: Tangled themed rest area open.
• September 17, 2013: Princess Fairytale Hall opens.
• May 28, 2014: Seven Dwarf's Mine Train opens completing the Fantasyland Expansion.
• November 22, 2014: Peter Pan's Flight interactive queue opens.

Respectfully
Searl Proudbottom

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Wed 19, 2015 9:24 pm

horizons1 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote: I am assuming you meant "Never heard of a Disney park not having enough attractions" because that was the exact argument for issues with DCA when it opened, which led to the rapid building of ToT and the overhaul plans. Throw in that, unlike WDW, the parks generally are designed to stand on their own. For example I do not think AK and DHS are worth the price of single day, single park admission with what they had to offer at their peaks.
No, I meant what I said. cy1229's take on DHS and DCA is putting a positive spin on what I think is a problem - not enough attractions to be regarded as a full-day park. Not saying it's wrong, just optimistic.

Wizzard, I completely agree - I don't think AK or DHS are worth a single day, single park admission, but I think they can both get there. With DHS adding Star Wars Land and AK adding Avatar, I wonder what they will do to help.
With WDW, their business model is based on people spending multiple days (and hopefully buying park-hopper passes), but they also have the issue that Americans have a pretty hard limit for how long they are willing to go on a vacation. If they have too many "Whole Day" parks, combined with the low return rate for their guests, you would end up with miffed customers feeling that they were cheated or rushed through their trip.

When DCA was really low on attractions it was regarded as an AP only park as locals would not want to pay the costs to enter.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Wed 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
horizons1 wrote:

With WDW, their business model is based on people spending multiple days (and hopefully buying park-hopper passes), but they also have the issue that Americans have a pretty hard limit for how long they are willing to go on a vacation. If they have too many "Whole Day" parks, combined with the low return rate for their guests, you would end up with miffed customers feeling that they were cheated or rushed through their trip.

When DCA was really low on attractions it was regarded as an AP only park as locals would not want to pay the costs to enter.
DCA still isn't all that high in the number of attractions. DLR has DCA beaten with two lands tied behind its back. My original point is that attractions...rides...aren't the be all end all. If there's enough thought put into the environment surrounding them, not having 4637463746 rides doesn't matter. Things to see, do, browse through, and buy, in addition to weaving back and forth for 25 minutes for a ride that lasts 1/10 the time, are important. Take Carsland. Completely immersive. Right now, two rides. And it's fun.

Truth be told, if it's just about the rides, places like Cedar Point should be doing better than Disney. Since they're not, I'm going to have to assume the other stuff means something.

So whether the new add-ons mean more rides, or just a better experience, it's going to be great. I hope.

But I still wish they had more Monsters Inc. The door attraction? I'm there!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Wed 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Two rides? Was Radiator Springs Racers a store? :D

Rides are pretty critical, shows and parades are dull since it becomes an experience that can be summed up as "sit/stand there and stare at a thing". Immersive lands are neat, for about 10 mins, the customers are not going to live there nor will they be there longer than they have to, so you end up making a space that plays to pretty much no one. If it were about the setting than Colonial Williamsburg would be the greatest park ever.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 20, 2015 6:28 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Two rides? Was Radiator Springs Racers a store? :D

Rides are pretty critical, shows and parades are dull since it becomes an experience that can be summed up as "sit/stand there and stare at a thing". Immersive lands are neat, for about 10 mins, the customers are not going to live there nor will they be there longer than they have to, so you end up making a space that plays to pretty much no one. If it were about the setting than Colonial Williamsburg would be the greatest park ever.
There are only two attractions in Carsland that I can think of RSR and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. When we were there, Luigi's Flying Tires were still going so there were three, but still not a lot. I think Disney does the whole thing well, attractions as well as ambiance. That is what sets them apart for me. I have very little interest in going to Cedar Point or Great America, and both are not more than a few hours drive away for me. I don't want to spend $50-$75 to go to either of those parks because what comes to mind when I think of them is very little theming, lots of concrete, lots of long lines that are in the sun, lots of teenagers in groups, and a few scruffy characters I have no interest in seeing. Does it mean they are bad parks? No. Just not ones I really want to go to. But when I think of any Disney park, I can think of a ton of things I want to do and see and yes, buy! :lol: That is why it is nice there are choices, not everyone will like the same thing, and that's ok.