Branstorming-Tomorrowland

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Branstorming-Tomorrowland

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Jul Tue 28, 2015 11:55 am

With the closing of Disneyquest approaching like the icy grip of death (yeah I like to add dramatic flair) I got to thinking about everything in Disneyquest. I started thinking, wouldn't it make sense, and be rather cool if they could save most of the attractions? But where would they put them? I was thinking they could move most of the games, especially the VR games, to Tomorrow land. Even possibly the Buzz Lightyer bumper cars, although I'm not sure exactly where they would put it. We almost all agree Tomorrowland needs a shake up since it doesn't seem like it looks like it represents the future much anymore. The failure of the Tomorrowland film obviously won't add anything new. Does anyone agree? Disagree? Better ideas?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Branstorming-Tomorrowland

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Wed 29, 2015 6:44 am

I am thinking that maybe the arcade games will be distributed throughout the resorts to replace some of the older ones there now. Maybe they just sell them to other places in Orlando...not sure.

The downside to arcade games is that a lot of them are made for individuals, which takes kids away from their families. So you end up slowing a family down, which keeps them from moving and ends up congesting certain areas of the parks. Right now, Disney is all about efficiency, as you can see with FP+ and the attempt to put guests in certain places at certain times of the day. Sure, you feel like you are picking attractions and times to help you avoid lines, but really you are just a pawn in Disney's giant chess board as they move guests where they want them to go.

As for Tomorrowland, I think it will be overhauled before the 50th Anniversary. My hope is that it can somewhat return to the way it was when it was themed as the interplanetary city of tomorrow. Of course that means new or updated attractions as well, and I'm not all that sure about what should happen on that front.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Wed 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I think a quick and easy fix would be to throw most of the games into Epcot. Maybe work something where you revitalize imagination or millennium pavilion?

A redo of Tomorrowland would be nice for the 50th but I really don't see much in the way of big construction for Magic Kingdom at least for the next few years. With all the work going on at DAK and the upcoming massive project for DHS, I tend to think Disney will be trying to keep at least a few gates relatively wall free.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Captainnobeard
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by Captainnobeard » Jul Wed 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Len90 wrote:I think a quick and easy fix would be to throw most of the games into Epcot. Maybe work something where you revitalize imagination or millennium pavilion?
I agree, the first thing I thought when I heard disneyquest was closing was moving things to Epcot, maybe in one of the innovations areas.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Fri 31, 2015 2:14 pm

I think a quick and easy fix would be to throw most of the games into Epcot. Maybe work something where you revitalize imagination or millennium pavilion?

I think that's a great idea Len90!! that would help fill some dead space in Epcot! :D You need to find someone to submit this idea to!! lol!!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Sat 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Wouldn't the bigger issue be that DQ closed because of what it offered? If you take bad content from one location and place it somewhere else, it wouldn't make the content better, right?

Captainnobeard

Post by Captainnobeard » Aug Mon 03, 2015 8:09 am

I don't know that content was an issue, I think it was more the extra $45 or so per adult unless you had added it onto your package.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Aug Tue 04, 2015 12:29 am

It was, remember the actual brand/project only lasted about 3 years, development ceased due to low interest. They were trying to deliver what Dave & Busters offered, but did not offer games that people wanted (such as fighting games), compound that with the progressive death of the arcade, and throw in that they were trying to compete against their own theme parks for attention. It probably took that long to replace simply because they didn't have a viable buyer to take over the property.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Tue 04, 2015 7:27 am

Had Disney Quest opened in the mid to late 80s...it would have been a much bigger success. It's just unfortunate that the West Side didn't open until the mid-late 90s.

Of course regardless of when it opened...there is no real appeal to it today because as state above, arcades really don't draw in people like they used to. Plus people would rather spend their time in the parks or water parks during their vacation to WDW. Disney has focused a ton of time and money in gaming here recently, so I look for things like Infinity, Playmation, and mobile games to move into the Innoventions area.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Tue 04, 2015 9:31 pm

When the girls and I went in 2008, they were 9 and 13, and we had DQ on our ticket. So, we went, once... had a good time for a few hours, but there's no way I would have stayed longer. Ellie, who was 9, loved making drawings in the "art studio" and wanted me to buy prints of all of them, but at $10 a pop I wasn't about to do that. It's like everything else at Disney - quite expensive -- and given that the parks are there, and the water parks, and even the mini golf, and the weather outside is often really nice, an indoor arcade just doesn't appeal that much anymore.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Aug Wed 12, 2015 3:31 pm

They actually piloted the VR games in Epcot before DisneyQuest was opened. My friend and I got to try the Magic Carpets game in that little room in Innoventions West where they last had the Epcot anniversary museum. That room used to be bigger and you entered in the corner doors, did the VR experience and then exited out other doors.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 12, 2015 7:47 pm

horizons1 wrote:They actually piloted the VR games in Epcot before DisneyQuest was opened. My friend and I got to try the Magic Carpets game in that little room in Innoventions West where they last had the Epcot anniversary museum. That room used to be bigger and you entered in the corner doors, did the VR experience and then exited out other doors.
I think they had the virtual Space Mountain ride in Innoventions too didn't they? I remember riding it, but I don't remember it being at DisneyQuest.