ADRs and small parties

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

ADRs and small parties

Post by horizons1 » May Sun 10, 2015 3:39 pm

I just found a precious ADR for Le Cellier for an upcoming trip but only for party sizes of 3-4. Since only I will be going I called Disney Dining and asked the agent to explain. After she made me walk through the entire reservation process that I had just done online I finally got her to see what I was asking. I was told if I make a reservation for 3 and only 1 shows up I would be charged a $10 reservation cancellation fee per person. Ridiculous.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: ADRs and small parties

Post by Amy » May Sun 10, 2015 8:30 pm

horizons1 wrote:I just found a precious ADR for Le Cellier for an upcoming trip but only for party sizes of 3-4. Since only I will be going I called Disney Dining and asked the agent to explain. After she made me walk through the entire reservation process that I had just done online I finally got her to see what I was asking. I was told if I make a reservation for 3 and only 1 shows up I would be charged a $10 reservation cancellation fee per person. Ridiculous.
:( That's a bummer. I wonder if they even have any ADRs for a party of one. Too bad she didn't offer to help you out!

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » May Mon 11, 2015 6:21 am

horizons1 wrote:I just found a precious ADR for Le Cellier for an upcoming trip but only for party sizes of 3-4. Since only I will be going I called Disney Dining and asked the agent to explain. After she made me walk through the entire reservation process that I had just done online I finally got her to see what I was asking. I was told if I make a reservation for 3 and only 1 shows up I would be charged a $10 reservation cancellation fee per person. Ridiculous.
That's crazy! I'd think they would welcome a party of one, as they could get you in and out quicker!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 11, 2015 9:48 am

brerrabbit1 wrote:
That's crazy! I'd think they would welcome a party of one, as they could get you in and out quicker!
They probably look at it more as one person taking a table for two, three or four though ~ and that isn't as profitable for them. Sad though :(

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 11, 2015 10:06 am

Me, personally, I would make the reservation for 3. Then, a day or two before that 24-hour window, I would call LeCellier directly and explain to them that unfortunately, your friends are unable to join you, and you will be the only person dining. If they still tell you that you'll have to pay the cancellation fee if you keep the reservation, you can cancel it outright before the fee would be imposed. Sounds like a system skirting (and really it is) but it's ridiculous that a restaurant won't accommodate a party of one.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 11, 2015 1:53 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Me, personally, I would make the reservation for 3. Then, a day or two before that 24-hour window, I would call LeCellier directly and explain to them that unfortunately, your friends are unable to join you, and you will be the only person dining. If they still tell you that you'll have to pay the cancellation fee if you keep the reservation, you can cancel it outright before the fee would be imposed. Sounds like a system skirting (and really it is) but it's ridiculous that a restaurant won't accommodate a party of one.
That actually sounds like a pretty good plan...plus if you do it a few days early and they won't accommodate you, you will make someone else very happy when that time opens!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Mon 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
That actually sounds like a pretty good plan...plus if you do it a few days early and they won't accommodate you, you will make someone else very happy when that time opens!
Or if you do not mind eating with complete strangers turn up for your table for three and hope there is a party of two trying to get in. We all know Le Cellier is so hard to get into but there is usually someone lurking that has no idea. :roll:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Mon 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I actually thought about inviting strangers!

There are ADRs for parties of one - but not at the places where space is at a premium, apparently. I am surprised though that a party of two would also be below the cutoff. I would think Le Cellier in particular is a popular couples spot.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Mon 11, 2015 4:37 pm

you should check on social media or other forums to see if anyone will be at WDW while you are there...and if they want to grab dinner at Le Cellier

then everyone wins

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » May Mon 11, 2015 5:29 pm

When's your trip? I'll meet ya for dinner if our trips overlap. I've never gotten a res for myself at Le Cellier. :)
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
I suspect they would outright cancel the reservation if someone tried that, as mentioned before they can only get in a certain number of seatings per night so they want to make the most of it.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 12, 2015 4:33 am

Wizzard419 wrote: I suspect they would outright cancel the reservation if someone tried that, as mentioned before they can only get in a certain number of seatings per night so they want to make the most of it.
True, it's a possibility. But if that's what happens, our friend horizons1 won't be any worse off than right now. Know what I mean?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Tue 12, 2015 1:14 pm

JenMuse wrote:When's your trip? I'll meet ya for dinner if our trips overlap. I've never gotten a res for myself at Le Cellier. :)
Right now! I am on the plane and have just this evening in the parks, then the rest of the week it's a work trip. One day of magic.

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » May Tue 12, 2015 4:06 pm

horizons1 wrote:Right now! I am on the plane and have just this evening in the parks, then the rest of the week it's a work trip. One day of magic.
Have a great time! I won't be back in wdw til September...
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 12, 2015 10:59 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote: I suspect they would outright cancel the reservation if someone tried that, as mentioned before they can only get in a certain number of seatings per night so they want to make the most of it.
True, it's a possibility. But if that's what happens, our friend horizons1 won't be any worse off than right now. Know what I mean?
True, they won't be penalized but if they go in with the expectation of getting said reservation they may be less than pleased when they are turned away.