Fantasyland Expansion

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 27, 2009 10:03 am

It's what me and my dad did when I was younger
You see - this kind of thing can create those priceless Father-Son moments that live on forever... 8-)

Captain Schnemo
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by Captain Schnemo » Nov Fri 13, 2009 6:24 pm

kcookiebaker wrote:Are any of the Princess Castle attractions going to be inviting to adults?
That's my major concern with the Princess Invasion. I'd probably enjoy the Little Mermaid dark ride in the same way I always enjoyed Snow White, but I'm not going to sit around and write out birfday cards to the princesses or wait in a big line to get an overpriced snapshot.

A little of that stuff is fine, but building whole lands around the concept is really lame.

All that said, Mickey's Afterthoughtland was always terrible, so ripping it out and replacing it with anything is not at all a bad plan. The water-themed area around the Mermaid attraction makes me wistful for 20K (I can just imagine standing on that bridge thinking, "You know what this pond could use? A Nautilus!"), but if it's fleshed out nicely, it could look really cool. Especially at night.

I like the super-sizing of Dumbo, because it's always been visually weak for adults, but a huge hit with the kids. Sprucing it up and doing whatever is necessary to keep the wait from being boring is a great idea. I hope the circus theme doesn't creep out too much, however, since that's exactly what the Magic Kingdom is not supposed to be like. The crapulence of carny stuff is why Disneyland was built in the first place.

Overall, it's nice that they are sprucing up the park, but it doesn't give me much hope for the future.

In context, all they are doing is taking the whole Princess marketing mishmash you'd find in a Disney Store and spattering it over a large section of park. A large section which was previously awful, mind you, so if they make into something worth taking a nice stroll through at night, then that's at least an improvement.

I don't hate it, but I wish they'd use their resources more interestingly.
Last edited by Captain Schnemo on Nov Tue 17, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Nov Tue 17, 2009 8:29 am

Captain Schnemo wrote:
kcookiebaker wrote:Are any of the Princess Castle attractions going to be inviting to adults?
That's my major concern with the Princess Invasion. I'd probably enjoy the Little Mermaid dark ride in the same way I always enjoyed Snow White, but I'm not going to sit around and write out birfday cards to the princesses or wait in a big line to get an overpriced snapshot.

A little of that stuff is fine, but building whole lands around the concept is really lame.

All that said, Mickey's Afterthoughtland was always terrible, so ripping it out and replacing it with anything is not at all a bad plan. The water-themed area around the Mermaid attraction makes me wistful for 20K (I can just imagine standing on that bridge thinking, "You know what this pond could use? A Nautilus!"), but if it's fleshed out nicely, it could look really cool. Especially at night.

I like the super-sizing of Dumbo, because it's always been visually weak for adults, but a huge hit with the kids. Sprucing it up and doing whatever is necessary to keep the wait from being boring is a great idea. I hope the circus theme doesn't creep out too much, however, since that's exactly what the Magic Kingdom is not supposed to be like. The crapulence of carny stuff is why Disneyland was built in the first place.

Overall, it's nice that they are sprucing up the park, but it doesn't give me much hope for the future.

In context, all they are doing is taking the whole Princess marketing mishmash you'd find in a Disney Store and spattering it over a large section of park. A large section which was previously awful, mind you, so if they make into something taking a nice stroll through at night, then that's at least an improvement.

I don't hate it, but I wish they'd use their resources more interestingly.
I agree. The new FL will definitely be an improvement over what we have now, but it kind of stinks that we're really only getting one new ride. I think the main goal of this project is to increase capacity, since FL in its current state is awfully cramped, even in the off-season.

I'm not extremely averse to the meet-and-greets, because my wife kind of likes the characters, and if she wants me to go have my picture taken with herself and another attractive female, then I'm not going to complain. :)

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 8:45 am

If you think about some of the problems Disney has had over the past few years with meet-and-greets you might understand why they are creating these areas. We've all heard about the different Pluto problems there has been. The new meet-and-greet areas will allow for more control of the crowd and the safety of the castmembers. Additionally, they will have several well-placed cameras to monitor the situation to ensure best behaviour of castmembers and guest, and to use as a proof if necessary in a court of law. So, one apparent reason may be capacity, but other reasons are probably security and legal risk management.

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Nov Tue 17, 2009 9:15 am

mindflipper wrote:. . .We've all heard about the different Pluto problems there has been.
Pluto problems, really? I remember Pluto got kind of fresh with my wife on our honeymoon, so much so that she had to threaten him, but I always thought it was an isolated incident.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 9:37 am

There have been cases that have been in media over the last few years. Try checking the Orlando Sentinel On-Line.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Tue 17, 2009 10:04 am

What they should really do is focus on high-capacity rides. That is the one thing Disney has majorly failed on in recent years. Look at PotC, it accommodates roughly 2400 guests an hour, Jungle Cruise 2100, the Haunted Mansion 2400, and IASW a modest 3200. In contrast, the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh only has a ride capacity of 960 guests per hour. In order to improve the crowding of Fantasyland, they should add more high-capacity attractions; and not just in Fantasyland, but all over the park. Ride Capacities are getting smaller and smaller with every new attraction. I don't think there are more people at the parks, just more people not on an attractions. The Magic Kingdom was designed to allow people to disperse in many directions and maintain the appearance of low crowds, but with recent changes that is no longer the case.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Tue 17, 2009 10:36 am

agingerbugg wrote:What they should really do is focus on high-capacity rides.
I've been saying the same thing for a while now. MK especially needs at least one new high-capacity, high-profile ride; something along the lines of RnR or Space Mountain in scale and dramatic impact. I could see a Meet the Robinsons themed "Time Machine" dark ride roller coaster, or even a Ratatouille "Storm Drain" water thrill ride. Something like that.
I know that MK caters mainly to families with smaller kids, but another ride like that would certainly improve things.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 10:45 am

Do you realize that most roller-coasters have a height requirement? Fantasyland ideally is suppose to appeal to children of all ages - including those under the height requirement?? I agree on the high-capacity needs to be done, and I hope they go with that in mind with the little mermaid (I was wondering since it will be in the old 20,000 leagues building if it will be a water-based boat ride using boats similar to its a small world?).

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Tue 17, 2009 10:49 am

mindflipper wrote:Do you realize that most roller-coasters have a height requirement? Fantasyland ideally is suppose to appeal to children of all ages - including those under the height requirement??
Of course. I acknowledged that.
My point is that they need something new and exciting like I described, and I think they could do it and still accomodate the ankle-biters. That's why the imagineers make the big bucks!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Okay, but you wanted something "high-profile" like Space Mountain or RnR, which aren't really for the small kiddies.

And I gotta wonder, do the imagineers really make the "big bucks" we all think they do?

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Tue 17, 2009 12:58 pm

mindflipper wrote:Okay, but you wanted something "high-profile" like Space Mountain or RnR, which aren't really for the small kiddies.

And I gotta wonder, do the imagineers really make the "big bucks" we all think they do?
I know, I know, but don't you think they COULD make something that's more "high-profile" that could still accomodate the littler guys? I mean, that's what the imagineers are famous for: pulling off the impossible.

As far as how much they make, I don't really know. It was just a figure of speech meaning "they get paid to do difficult jobs." I sure hope they make big bucks, though, because I may want to be one when I retire from my current job! That is, if I can't get a job as a fishing excursion guide (see the thread about Dream Retirement Jobs... :mrgreen: ).

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I wish we had an imagineer on the forum who could answer the "big bucks" question for us...

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:I wish we had an imagineer on the forum who could answer the "big bucks" question for us...
Yeah, that'd be great. Then maybe he or she could also answer some of these questions about the expansion, too.

Helloooo (echo: hello-hello-hello...)! Any imagineers lurking out there (echo: there-there-there....)?

*sound of crickets chirping.......*

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 17, 2009 1:17 pm

If you were an imagineer knowing all of us - would you admit to it? :roll: :wink: