All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: River Country Rumor

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sat 17, 2011 9:34 am

Soarin08 wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:I definitely think they should and will rebuild it eventually. It would definitely make a great themed "pool" area for Ft. Wilderness. It's sort of a joke, this huge campground, two little nothing pools and you can't swim in the lake anymore, when all the other resorts have themed pools! What is the #1 recreational activity when you go camping? Yeah, swimming :roll: Get your act together Disney, and clean up that mess!
Ft. Wilderness is a joke anyway but after working there and hating it of course I say that. :roll: No one in charge knows how to run the place, a trained monkey could do better. They DO need a themed pool area, I agree- the pools they have are practically the size of my bathtub.
The last time I stayed there, got the sense from some of the cast members that they really didn't enjoy their jobs so much :( . One was at the marina who was really rude and mean. When I run across a cast member like that I wonder how many rude, obnoxious tourists they've had to deal with that day. I actually am extra nice when they seem unhappy, it's gotta be really tough sometimes! Did you ever work at FW during the Christmas season? If so, HOW COULD YOU STAND THE MUSIC WITHOUT GOING OUT OF YOUR MIND :shock: ? Bad, really bad!!!

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sat 17, 2011 9:43 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I wonder if people who camp at WDW tell their friends they went camping or just to WDW?

I have friends who go glamping (think old school safari style camping where it's the 4 seasons but you are in the wild and your massive room is still there but it's now a giant tent) and they tried to claim they were roughing it.
That's so funny! I never really thought about it, but I remember telling people that we stayed in a tent at the WDW campground, never really called it camping. It was just a place to sleep when you left the parks :lol: ! A fun place to sleep, but still pretty much just a place to spend the night :ccat: !

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Sharonofwindham wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:I definitely think they should and will rebuild it eventually. It would definitely make a great themed "pool" area for Ft. Wilderness. It's sort of a joke, this huge campground, two little nothing pools and you can't swim in the lake anymore, when all the other resorts have themed pools! What is the #1 recreational activity when you go camping? Yeah, swimming :roll: Get your act together Disney, and clean up that mess!
Ft. Wilderness is a joke anyway but after working there and hating it of course I say that. :roll: No one in charge knows how to run the place, a trained monkey could do better. They DO need a themed pool area, I agree- the pools they have are practically the size of my bathtub.
The last time I stayed there, got the sense from some of the cast members that they really didn't enjoy their jobs so much :( . One was at the marina who was really rude and mean. When I run across a cast member like that I wonder how many rude, obnoxious tourists they've had to deal with that day. I actually am extra nice when they seem unhappy, it's gotta be really tough sometimes! Did you ever work at FW during the Christmas season? If so, HOW COULD YOU STAND THE MUSIC WITHOUT GOING OUT OF YOUR MIND :shock: ? Bad, really bad!!!
I HATED working there, but I never let it show to the guests. I wouldn't do that to any of you, of course, no matter how annoyed I was. I worked there on my college program from January-April 2011 so fortunately no Christmas, but I did work Easter. When it would rain was the WORST because everyone from Trail's End was on the porch, everyone from Hoop Dee Doo was on the porch, and everyone who didn't want to melt :roll: was on the porch, and we couldn't ever find any of our parties for Trail's End, and that made the guests even madder about the waits. Plus they would all just show up demanding tables and never wanted to wait longer than five seconds. :x

THE MUSIC DROVE ME CRAZY. And whenever it comes on Sub now I automatically turn it off. We stayed there in 2008 and loved the cabins but I think that is one resort that crossed off my list permanently.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Now Disney knows exactly which one you are and this will reflect on your employment record. :D

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sat 17, 2011 6:02 pm

OK, I'm gonna show my age, but the first time I stayed at FW was in 1989! I wanted my sister to go to WDW with me so badly. She had a panic disorder and never ate in restaurants so I thought one of the travel trailers(now cabins) with a full kitchen would make her feel more comfortable about going. We had the best time, and FW was incredible back then, we loved it! Stayed there a few more times, then in '99 bought into the DVC. In '01 stayed in FW for half our trip the other, The Boardwalk. That was it for me, it isn't the same anymore, wouldn't even think of staying there again.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Now Disney knows exactly which one you are and this will reflect on your employment record. :D
Yeah well I have every single one of my coworkers who share my sentiments! :mrgreen:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Coworkers aren't the ones in charge of hiring.

Actually, they just ruled that talking crap about work online isn't valid grounds for termination but good luck enforcing that one since one of the worst things you can do (outside of an actual crime) is to take your employer/former eployer to court.

MIKELFL
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by MIKELFL » Sep Sun 18, 2011 9:53 am

Soarin08 wrote:
Why do you say that Ft Wilderness is a Joke?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Sun 18, 2011 11:00 am

I don't see them re-doing River Country just so FW can have a pool area. If they wanted to do a pool area for that resort, then I think they would want something more accessible and more updated...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sun 18, 2011 11:53 am

That and it sounds like the park used some of the fresh water from the lake, so the problems probably helped put a nail in it's coffin.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

mindflipper wrote:I don't see them re-doing River Country just so FW can have a pool area. If they wanted to do a pool area for that resort, then I think they would want something more accessible and more updated...
I think the old fashioned water hole theme was perfect for a place called Ft Wilderness :nemo:. Maybe just a different location? When I stayed at FW, I thought RC was very close to pioneer hall :? . Maybe it was just because I was a lot younger, and didn't mind the walk :D . I never did get to experience it though, it was in '01 and it was only open on certain days, we just happened to check it out on an off day!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Mon 19, 2011 8:29 pm

mindflipper wrote:I don't see them re-doing River Country just so FW can have a pool area. If they wanted to do a pool area for that resort, then I think they would want something more accessible and more updated...
When I was there we were told to just direct them over to Wilderness Lodge for anything that FW didn't have... which always struck me as really lazy on Disney's part. No one in charge seemed to care, it was just more of "Well if they don't like the food then tell them where to go at the Lodge" and "If they want a bigger pool then tell them to go to the Lodge."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Soarin08 wrote:
When I was there we were told to just direct them over to Wilderness Lodge for anything that FW didn't have... which always struck me as really lazy on Disney's part. No one in charge seemed to care, it was just more of "Well if they don't like the food then tell them where to go at the Lodge" and "If they want a bigger pool then tell them to go to the Lodge."
I bet that makes Lodge guests happy to know that the FW guests who pay less get to use their amenities and pay less for their resort stay...

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Sep Mon 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Goofyfan wrote:I never saw river country, was it nice in it's day? We have also never been to Blizzard beach or typhoon Lagoon. Coming from a different part of the country, there are water parks in just about every state. The Disney theme parks are unique and thats where we spend our time because there is no other place anywhere like Disney. Seeing videos and pictures of Disney"s water parks show that they are probably the best water parks around. But coming from up north, the theme parks are for us.
Yes, I remember it being pretty nice. It wasn't as elaborate or high thrill as the other two are now, but it definitely had the Disney touch. It only had a handful of slides and they were a lot milder than most at BB or TL. However, it had more small thrill attractions such as small zip lines, logs you grab onto and swing out on, etc. that the others lack. I have a few fond memories of visiting it once as a child and wish I could visit it again and remember more.

I don't think RC could compete with TL and BB unless it was majorly changed from how it was. I love the FW pool idea. I could also see it working as a "value" water park - being cheaper than the others so that families could visit it more affordably.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Here's a question: is there something else that can be done with River Country besides it being a water park?