Cold Weather

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Jan Thu 14, 2010 8:52 am

I normally enjoy cold weather, but let me tell you that the cold was just as intensely uncomfortable as the August heat. One of the reasons we planned the trip for January was because we figured it would be comfortable outside and we could take our time strolling from attraction to attraction, even sit down on a bench for a while if we started to get tired.

Instead there was this constant rush to get someplace warm, so we couldn't slow down and enjoy WDW like we wanted to. Don't get me wrong, we still had a good time, but we didn't get to do NEAR as much as we wanted to because of how incredibly cold it was.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Thu 14, 2010 11:46 am

I know what you mean, Future Guy, intense cold is as bad as intense heat! Maybe even more miserable than heat. I've been there under both circumstances, and the cold is hard to take (especially when its windy).

ctrain2281
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by ctrain2281 » Jan Wed 20, 2010 1:44 pm

I was down in WDW right before New Years Eve when the first of the cold snap started. I didn't think the day would come when I was wearing a sweater, jacket, jeans, gloves and a hat to stay warm but by golly one night at MK while waiting for the Wishes Fireworks, it happened.... :mickey:

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Cold

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sun 31, 2010 4:14 pm

My mother lives just outside of Disney property and her pipes froze!! It is too cold down there, way colder then what they are prepared for! I know during the cold snap, park attendance was way down! NO SHORTS REQUIRED. BRRRRR COLD! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Jan Sun 31, 2010 9:15 pm

I went one year when it was really cold and it was a different disney experience to say the least. I was most bummed because it was too cold to go on the Kali River Rapids ride..it was still open, but there was no way I was getting soaked in those temperatures. I had to buy a coat because waiting for the parks to open in the teens was miserable. On a plus note I figured I wouldn't find anything warm to buy, but they put out warmer gear in most of the stores and everything was reasonable if not inexpensive which I was very surprised about.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sun 31, 2010 11:03 pm

imaginationcelebration wrote:I went one year when it was really cold and it was a different disney experience to say the least. I was most bummed because it was too cold to go on the Kali River Rapids ride..it was still open, but there was no way I was getting soaked in those temperatures. I had to buy a coat because waiting for the parks to open in the teens was miserable. On a plus note I figured I wouldn't find anything warm to buy, but they put out warmer gear in most of the stores and everything was reasonable if not inexpensive which I was very surprised about.
That is extremely surprising to me. I would honestly have thought that Disney would have priced the cold weather gear much like the ponchos.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sun 31, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm not surprised that the cold gear was not that expensive (it's Florida, not much demand for it here usually). What surprises me is that when the really nasty cold weather hit that they did not quickly hike up the prices! :wink: :lol: :shock:

mpwheat
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by mpwheat » Feb Mon 08, 2010 11:15 am

I generally do not enjoy a cold day in the parks, talk about miserable...but on the plus side, very few people do...so park attendance tends to be very low...meaning there are no Wait Times for rides and always a good spot to sit/stand for parades & shows (provided they still go on...unfortunately, Disney tends to cancel shows on days with really low guest attendance.)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~ Walt Disney
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Mpwheat/userbar801734.gif[/img]

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Feb Mon 08, 2010 12:43 pm

timekeeper wrote:It was so cold for a few days when we were on our first trip in December 2005, we wore our winter coats, gloves, hats, etc in the park. I was glad to be from the north and have it with us. It was only for 2 days of our trip so everyone made due, I couldn't imagine weeks of it down there!
We were down there at the same time for our first family trip. Dd and 1 little boy from Canada were the only ones in the POFQ pool, lol!

We froze at MVMCP that year and I was so thankful to have our winter gear!

Atleast unlike Michigan you know the cold will NOT last forever at Disney.