Kali River Rapids Anyone?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Aug Tue 25, 2009 8:25 am

I love it, you will get wet, and you may get completely soaked, but its fun. If you get the chance, you should really try the Grizzly River Run out in California. It's the same type of ride and same rafts, just twice as long.
"now, bring me that horizon"

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Tue 25, 2009 12:15 pm

I will be able to report more on Kali at the end of Sept. I'm planning on trying it on my next trip Sept 23.

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by missynole » Aug Tue 25, 2009 1:53 pm

disneylizzy wrote:I will be able to report more on Kali at the end of Sept. I'm planning on trying it on my next trip Sept 23.
That's my hope, too. I'm going over Labor Day and going to give it a try!

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Aug Tue 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I always enjoy Kali, even though I always get soaked! Labor Day is a good time to go; it'll still be hot, so getting all wet will be refreshing.

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by noledawg » Aug Wed 26, 2009 8:13 am

Some people think you should wear a poncho when you ride. I don't.
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Wed 26, 2009 12:26 pm

noledawg wrote:Some people think you should wear a poncho when you ride. I don't.
Yeah, I'm pretty much anti-poncho in every sense. What's the point of riding a water ride if you're trying NOT to get wet??

Blackie Pueblo

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Aug Sun 30, 2009 9:53 am

disneylizzy wrote:
noledawg wrote:Some people think you should wear a poncho when you ride. I don't.
Yeah, I'm pretty much anti-poncho in every sense. What's the point of riding a water ride if you're trying NOT to get wet??
I agree with you 100%. It's like saying I don't want to ride the roller coaster if it's going to go fast. It's expected.

I really WANT to love this ride but don't. It's fun but I've just been on too many BETTER rapid rides. The shortness is quite a bummer to me. Although I will ride it if the person or people I am with want to ride it.

"Anything that has a Disney name to it is something we feel responsible for."
---Walter Elias Disney

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Mon 31, 2009 8:05 am

Blackie Pueblo wrote: I really WANT to love this ride but don't. It's fun but I've just been on too many BETTER rapid rides. The shortness is quite a bummer to me. Although I will ride it if the person or people I am with want to ride it.
That's exactly how I feel. It's not a bad ride it's just not what you'd expect Disney to do with a rapids ride. You figure everyone does rapid rides, so Disney would be able to really plus the concept at WDW...but they don't.

******************SPOLIER (sort of... not much to spoil)**********************************

The forest fire scene is pretty cool, and if they had done more stuff like that it'd have been great, but they just give you this tease and leave you expecting after that first (and only?) drop for more... but it's like the end of the ride w/ a trio of elephant statues squirting at you. What? Really? That's it? The queue takes more time to walk through empty than the ride does to ride. It's not like they didn't have the space at AK. Oh well.

*****************************END SPOILER****************************

Again, it's a good fun ride- but it's nothing fancy and sadly while so many parks and chains have issued their own rapids rides prior to Kali, Kali fails to meet them in many ways when you would expect it to surpass them. Heck, I remember being more impressed with the rapids ride that used to be at the crappy MGM Grand theme park in Vegas before they tore it down... and that park was crappy!

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Mon 31, 2009 8:35 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Again, it's a good fun ride- but it's nothing fancy and sadly while so many parks and chains have issued their own rapids rides prior to Kali, Kali fails to meet them in many ways when you would expect it to surpass them. Heck, I remember being more impressed with the rapids ride that used to be at the crappy MGM Grand theme park in Vegas before they tore it down... and that park was crappy!
This is good to know! I won't expect too much from the ride so I won't be disappointed.

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » Aug Mon 31, 2009 10:13 pm

We rode it once. Our underwear stayed wet all day. Other posters are right. You don't get wet. You get SOAKED!

As for the ride itself, I didn't like it. Too short. I thought with all Disney's magic, they could put a better ride together. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree. But I don't plan on riding it the next time I return.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

timekeeper

Post by timekeeper » Sep Thu 03, 2009 7:07 am

99Soulz wrote:oh yeah, you could very well end up being soaked if you were the lucky winner of the waterfall tsumani. All the times I went on it I have been lucky enough to not be that person so just got partially wet so really enjoyed the ride. The person that gets the waterfall however, might as well buy all new clothes at the next merch store.
That was DD and I the first time I rode it last week. I couldnt have been wetter if I had jumped into a pool fully dressed. It was fun because it was so hot but my denim shorts still were not dry 2 hours later, that was NOT fun!

That being said its too short. I hadn't been on one of these types of rides in 20 years, I had forgotten what they can be.

We rode Kali on Tuesday and then again Thursday, we then went to Universal on Saturday and did Bluto falls (not sure on the name of it). Sorry to say that Universal had the better ride. (I didn't think I would ever say that!) Universal was longer, just was wetting, more rapids and just a better ride.

briandancer
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by briandancer » Sep Fri 04, 2009 9:55 am

Too short, and not a fun story line, in my opinion. Not worth the wait, though the queue area might be worth seeing once, since it's kinda neat. If you absolutely love getting soaked no matter what, then I think you'll like this ride. If, however, you value story and imagination, it will disappoint.

GhostHost
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by GhostHost » Sep Sat 05, 2009 8:39 am

This is one ride I can say that I have never tried at WDW and there are not many. I don't know, just seeing people drenched in water and having to walk around the rest of the day like that doesn't really appeal to me. I have thought about riding it on our next trip though and perhaps save it for last so we can change out of our clothes and leave the park. Either that or just find a place to dry off for the next hour.
"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time, and for a brief moment we have been among it's many passengers." -Spaceship Earth / Epcot

Mission Space 2003 Pioneer Crew

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Sep Sat 05, 2009 9:04 am

We delayed our trip. Now we won't be able to ride until November. Oh well.
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

jenhen27
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenhen27 » Oct Sun 11, 2009 5:39 pm

I like it but you do get soaked! And people can spray you from the bridge too!