Cold Weather

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Len90 wrote:Also, Blizzard Beach has been closed for a lot of days this Winter due to the cold weather.
Last thing they need is for someone to go down the slide as a tourist at the start, and come out the other end frozen in a block of ice! :roll: :wink: And you know while that person thaws out of his block of ice there's a lawyer with his card ready to sue WDW "negligent freezing"... :lol:

castmember04
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by castmember04 » Jan Tue 12, 2010 7:21 pm

We have 26 more days until our trip on 2/7. I'm hoping the weather is warmer in Florida then here in PA. It's close right now! 10 day forecast looks promising, but it hasn't been accurate at all the last 2 weeks.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:04 am

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:Also, Blizzard Beach has been closed for a lot of days this Winter due to the cold weather.
Last thing they need is for someone to go down the slide as a tourist at the start, and come out the other end frozen in a block of ice! :roll: :wink: And you know while that person thaws out of his block of ice there's a lawyer with his card ready to sue WDW "negligent freezing"... :lol:
Am I the only one who really saw the irony of Blizzard Beach being closed for cold weather. I know it was in Disney's best interest to keep it shut during freezing cold temperatures, but it just doesn't fit the park's name.

Yes mindflipper I would say worries for legal issues that could arise probably played a role in the decision I seriously doubt it would be due to people developing ice cubes while going down the slide, but rather people falling on ice in the park. One slip on ice and that is a few million dollars down the drain for Diseny.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:14 am

I can NOT stand this cold! :lol: I live in South Florida and it has reached 25 degrees! I was passing through Central Florida to visit a friend, and it was snowing! I was gonna try to sneak a day in at WDW that day but I was not gonna go in the snow lol. I although would of gone to WDW if it snowed back in Christmas. That would of been nice to see! WDW decorated for Christmas with real snow falling. That would be nice to see I gotta admit! You would have to be insane to go to a water park in this weather lol. Man, you would freeze to death!
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:47 am

MetalRage wrote:I can NOT stand this cold! :lol: I live in South Florida and it has reached 25 degrees! I was passing through Central Florida to visit a friend, and it was snowing! I was gonna try to sneak a day in at WDW that day but I was not gonna go in the snow lol. I although would of gone to WDW if it snowed back in Christmas. That would of been nice to see! WDW decorated for Christmas with real snow falling. That would be nice to see I gotta admit! You would have to be insane to go to a water park in this weather lol. Man, you would freeze to death!
Wow you southerners can't handle a little bit of cold weather. I would take 25 degrees and sunny. It got into the mid teens over this past weekend with a wind chill of single digits to near 0. It must be really unique to be in WDW and to have flurries/snow falling. I can only imagine being on Main Street USA during that. It has to be better than a famous July torrential downpour.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Jan Wed 13, 2010 1:56 am

Len90 wrote:
MetalRage wrote:I can NOT stand this cold! :lol: I live in South Florida and it has reached 25 degrees! I was passing through Central Florida to visit a friend, and it was snowing! I was gonna try to sneak a day in at WDW that day but I was not gonna go in the snow lol. I although would of gone to WDW if it snowed back in Christmas. That would of been nice to see! WDW decorated for Christmas with real snow falling. That would be nice to see I gotta admit! You would have to be insane to go to a water park in this weather lol. Man, you would freeze to death!
Wow you southerners can't handle a little bit of cold weather. I would take 25 degrees and sunny. It got into the mid teens over this past weekend with a wind chill of single digits to near 0. It must be really unique to be in WDW and to have flurries/snow falling. I can only imagine being on Main Street USA during that. It has to be better than a famous July torrential downpour.
Lol hey come on now. I see people from the north complain about the heat down here in the summer, but I enjoy it. I will admit I am a wuss with the cold. Anyway, I don't wanna start a fight. Yes, I could only imagine walking down Main Street USA with snow coming down :D
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 13, 2010 10:03 am

Yeh, I agree MetalRage. As the old saying goes - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (because Florida in the summer is like sticking your head in a hot oven)! 8-)

I can't stand the cold either - but love the heat - that's why I live in Florida! I presume if you live up North you love the cold during the winter. That's fine with me. Stay there. I'll stay here. And we all can be happy with the weather we got, but frankly keep your snow up North with you, thank you! We don't need it here! :roll: :wink:

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Wed 13, 2010 11:49 am

I have a friend that ran in the Goofy over the weekend... freezing but finished! Here in Miami, the official temperature in West Kendall was 26 degrees Monday! We are not prepared for this kind of weather here, it was raining lizards and Iguanas the last few days, all falling out of the trees! But they warm up and come back to life. But seriously, Orlando must have been unbearable!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

wdwgirly
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by wdwgirly » Jan Wed 13, 2010 12:19 pm

cousininmiami wrote:it was raining lizards and Iguanas the last few days, all falling out of the trees!
ummm ewwwww that's probably why I stay north! lizards and iguanas totally freak me out :D

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Jan Wed 13, 2010 12:53 pm

mindflipper wrote:Yeh, I agree MetalRage. As the old saying goes - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (because Florida in the summer is like sticking your head in a hot oven)! 8-)

I can't stand the cold either - but love the heat - that's why I live in Florida! I presume if you live up North you love the cold during the winter. That's fine with me. Stay there. I'll stay here. And we all can be happy with the weather we got, but frankly keep your snow up North with you, thank you! We don't need it here! :roll: :wink:
haha you said it better than me!

"We wants the redhead!"

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Jan Wed 13, 2010 7:40 pm

As luck would have it (you choose: good or bad), I was down there over the weekend to watch a couple of friends in the marathon. I got there on Wed. the 6th. It actually wasn't too bad until Saturday. After the half marathon (which came complete with sleet) the rest of the day was brutal by Disney standards. I would be surprised if it got above 35 the entire day. We went to Boma for breakfast and decided since we were over there to hit Animal Kingdom quickly. I didn't see a single animal. Whether they were being kept in or they were seeking shelter themselves. We were brave and did Everest. COLD! Coming out and down the big drop and around the corner was face numbing. No less thrilling. After that we did Dinosaur and left. We then went over to Epcot and tried to do mostly indoor things. But we couldn't resist doing Test Track.

Anyway, back to the weather. The area behind Spaceship Earth where it is usually breezy, Saturday was no exception. There was no way to dress it up, it was freezing. Something I'll never forget. Thermal top and bottoms, mock turtle neck, fleece, and sweatshirt and to top it off, winter hat. And I was still chilly. Sunday was a little better. Low 40s.

The entire week was cold. There was not a day where I didn't see frost on windshields in the hotel parking area. It didn't deter from a fantastic week!

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Jan Wed 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Yeah I really disliked Florida in January especially when I lived down so my body was used to the 90s and 100 degree weather. I remember wearing gloves, and turtle necks and long sleeves during my last shift of the college program. I don't laugh anymore when people from up north laugh when the south complain about the 30s and 40s. I totally understand having lived in both the north and south.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 13, 2010 11:00 pm

MetalRage wrote:
Len90 wrote:
Lol hey come on now. I see people from the north complain about the heat down here in the summer, but I enjoy it. I will admit I am a wuss with the cold. Anyway, I don't wanna start a fight. Yes, I could only imagine walking down Main Street USA with snow coming down :D
I personally enjoy the summer heat of Florida. I really feel that the heat is something that comes with the enjoyment and you need to make the best of it. It's mother nature, enjoy all she has to offer!
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 13, 2010 11:31 pm

One thing about Central Florida, which I've learned over the years from Gainesville and Orlando: during the summer, there's not a chance for a breeze in the daytime but during the really cold winter you can't get rid of being blown away by the wind. It's just a curse of Central Florida.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jan Thu 14, 2010 6:03 am

Tomorrow is going to be the first day in about 4 weeks that we won't have any freezing weather!! A low of 35 and a high of 52!! It's gonna feel like summer, it's been really cold here!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage