Quick Service Disney Dining Plan

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Aug Sun 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:But we seem to always buy an ice cream bar. Is that considered one of the snacks?
Yes, it is.

According to Disney's website, you can save up to 20% with this plan. I just cannot fathom how this saves money. This would be the perfect plan for us because it we hate sit-down dinners at WDW (not because the food isn't good or anything, but because we would rather spend the two hours per night at the attractions - it's just what we have always done), but I have been to WDW more than I can count and I don't think that I've ever spent $30 a day on food. Maybe they're basing this off of the most expensive counter service meal and snack. I average about $8.50 at lunchtime and dinnertime and about $3/snack. I've never been good at math, but that's $23. I know that they throw in the mug, and I do love the mugs, but I don't think I would get near $7 worth of soda/day (even if you split the actual cost of the mug over the course of your stay).

I looked back on the last time I used the mugs and we were staying at the ASM resort. I had a mug-full of water or soda at breakfast and then filled it up before we left. When we returned from the parks, I filled it up as we walked back to our room. The All-Star resorts seem like the only place that there are walk up soda fountains. I don't even know if there is a place to get your mug filled up at a deluxe resort (I've never seen one). And when you actually factor in how much the mugs hold, which is less than a can of soda, the plan doesn't leave me on the edge of my seat.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if they lowered the price just a little bit (I would maybe start considering it if they lowered it to $25/day), it would be perfect. But right now, it seems like Disney is trying to take advantage of families traveling there for the first or second time.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]

rknrlrcstr
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by rknrlrcstr » Aug Mon 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I think it's an idea who's time has come. If you have ever travelled during any of the "free dining" periods, or the Food & Wine Festival, you know how difficult it can be to get an ADR. So for the Dining Plan as it is (1 - QS, 1 - TS, 1- Snack) may not be a good idea for all.

Others just don't want to lose time on their trip on a sit-down meal. Many first time visitors want to see as much as possible and feel that they may be wasting valuable time at a TS meal.

I do agree with what some have said, the cost of the plan is important. You need to feel as though you are getting some value out of the plan. I would think the avg. QS meal for one person is about $15 and the mug is about the same, so long as the cost is under $45/person, then it is a good idea and value for those who prefer this type of eating.

Thanks y'all,
-Mark
Are we there yet? When can we go back?

I don't know what's worse, the anticipation of going or the withdrawals after getting home.

ctrain2281
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by ctrain2281 » Aug Tue 12, 2008 7:13 am

Yeah, seems like the margin on the dining plans has significantly diminished over the past couple of years. When your discount is very marginal (less than 2 dollars if you buy the most expensive CS meal and a mug that loses its discount value the longer you are there), it barely seems worth handcuffing yourself to the plan. Don't know if I would pull the trigger on the plan myself.

meticulus9
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by meticulus9 » Aug Tue 12, 2008 7:29 pm

rknrlrcstr wrote:I think it's an idea who's time has come. If you have ever travelled during any of the "free dining" periods, or the Food & Wine Festival, you know how difficult it can be to get an ADR. So for the Dining Plan as it is (1 - QS, 1 - TS, 1- Snack) may not be a good idea for all.

Others just don't want to lose time on their trip on a sit-down meal. Many first time visitors want to see as much as possible and feel that they may be wasting valuable time at a TS meal.

I do agree with what some have said, the cost of the plan is important. You need to feel as though you are getting some value out of the plan. I would think the avg. QS meal for one person is about $15 and the mug is about the same, so long as the cost is under $45/person, then it is a good idea and value for those who prefer this type of eating.

Thanks y'all,
-Mark

dont know if the avg qs meal is 15. if its 10....the plan is close to the break even pt.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Tue 12, 2008 7:51 pm

meticulus9 wrote: dont know if the avg qs meal is 15. if its 10....the plan is close to the break even pt.
looking through some of the receipts from our December 2006 trip (where we ate mostly CS meals), the average cost was about $10 (give or take $1). and I had the cheeseburger/fry combo with a large drink quite a bit. That was 2 years ago, and I'm sure prices have gone up a bit since then.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

packwingfn
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by packwingfn » Aug Tue 12, 2008 8:10 pm

The CS meals are quite expensive. The cheapest regular meal is $7.95 usually and most CS meals include some combo meal so you end up buying more than you can eat sometimes so it just feels like a waste. If there is one thing that I hate about eating at a Disney CS, is that I feel like my selections are slim but I guess it's like that at any Fast Food joint. I would rather pack a lunch then eat Disney CS throghout my whole vacation....Ok I guess I'm taking in the fact that I usually visited the parks during my CP and not a vacation so I guess it's a little different but my views still feel the same.
I know this is probably your first flight...and it's mine too...ha, ha

Rain upon that planet Earth. And they rain ... and rain ... and rain. The deluge.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Aug Wed 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Soooo.... do you think the dining plans are just not that great because of the rising cost of the parks? I mean, do you think to justify the rising cost Disney keeps trying to offer these great plans to accommodate guests with a little bit of a financial break but with all the money getting dished out by a family the dining plans come across as worthless. Does that make sense or am I just rambling?

"You reach a point where you don't work for money."
---Walter Elias Disney

spodie

Post by spodie » Aug Wed 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Blackie Pueblo wrote:Soooo.... do you think the dining plans are just not that great because of the rising cost of the parks? I mean, do you think to justify the rising cost Disney keeps trying to offer these great plans to accommodate guests with a little bit of a financial break but with all the money getting dished out by a family the dining plans come across as worthless. Does that make sense or am I just rambling?

"You reach a point where you don't work for money."
---Walter Elias Disney
Well, I don't really think this plan is saving money. As stated above, this plan is less and less of a deal the longer you are on vacation because the mugs are really what is thrown in to save you money. I know every family is different, but I know mine drinks soda sometimes, even less if we're at WDW because we want to stay hydrated, so the mugs and the drinks that come with the meal are not really good incentive to us. If you drink soda, coffee, etc often and you make frequent trips to the soda fountain at your hotel, then this may be the plan for you.

Knowing that the break even point are the mugs, I just can't see how anyone could drink enough soda to make this plan efficient.

ritchie56
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by ritchie56 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 7:21 am

And if you don't use every single snack or meal on the plan, you've missed the break even point. One snack credit unused and you may as well have paid cash. Seems like an awfully thin margin to me to make it worth the risk.

meticulus9

Post by meticulus9 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 12:40 pm

js3901 wrote:
meticulus9 wrote: dont know if the avg qs meal is 15. if its 10....the plan is close to the break even pt.
looking through some of the receipts from our December 2006 trip (where we ate mostly CS meals), the average cost was about $10 (give or take $1). and I had the cheeseburger/fry combo with a large drink quite a bit. That was 2 years ago, and I'm sure prices have gone up a bit since then.

like i said its very close to break even. figure it went up a buck or two. 12x2 is 24. that leaves 6 for 2 snacks. it depends. and i dont include the cup b/c the cup normally costs 15 and if you use it 2x/day @ your hotel the cost becomes nothing over the length of the plan

js3901

Post by js3901 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 3:12 pm

but even breaking even can be a good deal, when it comes down to it. with the plan, you don't have to carry around extra cash or use your credit cards, or budget for your meals (assuming you're eating all CS meals). You just give them your room card. and it doesn't matter if you choose $10 cheeseburger meal or the $20 equilivelent (whatever it may be). that peace of mind alone is worth the price (at least in my eyes). I hate carrying around cash cause I'm always tempted to spend it. this dining plan takes that away. it's a good feeling. I'll be signing up for it on our next trip down there
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

ctrain2281
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by ctrain2281 » Aug Fri 15, 2008 9:12 am

Yeah, I guess the whole CS meal plan thing is fairly debatable as far as the financial pros and cons. I think though that the general mindset of people is that when they hear the word "plan" and it is related to cost, most will think that the plan being offered benefits them by giving a discount of sorts as opposed to merely being equal or a side-grade so to speak. The mugs are a nice side benefit but not nearly as nice as receiving a few dollar discount per day or something like that.

spodie

Post by spodie » Aug Fri 15, 2008 9:45 am

ctrain2281 wrote:Yeah, I guess the whole CS meal plan thing is fairly debatable as far as the financial pros and cons. I think though that the general mindset of people is that when they hear the word "plan" and it is related to cost, most will think that the plan being offered benefits them by giving a discount of sorts as opposed to merely being equal or a side-grade so to speak. The mugs are a nice side benefit but not nearly as nice as receiving a few dollar discount per day or something like that.
I agree. Plus, the website boasts that you can save up to 20%. How?

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Fri 15, 2008 11:07 am

We don't typically eat at the sit downs, so it would be a possibility here. I'll have to calculate out our break even point. I highly doubt it would be a great deal, Disney wouldn't want to start losing money!

Now that I think about it, we usually split meals at the parks, so this wouldn't work out in our favor. It's a great idea though!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

meticulus9

Post by meticulus9 » Aug Fri 15, 2008 6:04 pm

js3901 wrote:but even breaking even can be a good deal, when it comes down to it. with the plan, you don't have to carry around extra cash or use your credit cards, or budget for your meals (assuming you're eating all CS meals). You just give them your room card. and it doesn't matter if you choose $10 cheeseburger meal or the $20 equilivelent (whatever it may be). that peace of mind alone is worth the price (at least in my eyes). I hate carrying around cash cause I'm always tempted to spend it. this dining plan takes that away. it's a good feeling. I'll be signing up for it on our next trip down there
not to be the devil's advocate, but you can just charge your room anyway. if it works for you let me know. im back and forth- looking @ pricings, eating habits, trying to decide if its worth it. some people think its worth it just for ease of mind.....i dont fall into that category