Rain at WDW

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

soccermouse
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Rain at WDW

Post by soccermouse » Apr Wed 11, 2007 2:01 pm

I found a website that says that it typically rains 14 days out of 30 days in the month of June. Can anyone tell me what kind of rains to expect. Short downpour? Steady drizzle? Morning? Evening?
Thanks for your help.

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Apr Wed 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I was there in July a few years back, which should be similar enough. Humid, bright mornings would cloud over pretty suddenly every day we were there around 11:30 or noon or so, and it would rain (usually a light, warm rain, btw) until 1 or 2 and then be clear the rest of the day/night...
~Steve

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Wed 11, 2007 2:32 pm

When I was there from Sept-Nov, it only rained about 4 or 5 times during the day. Usually it was heavy rain for a short time. I think it rained overnight a couple of times, too.

Andy.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Apr Wed 11, 2007 2:56 pm

I've had the same experience as Spaulo. we've been going in august for the past few years and it usually rains every afternoon. The showers are light and usually last from about 20 minutes to a couple hours. However, we always spend two weeks down there and at least once a week there's that big thunder storm that starts in the afternoon and doesn't end until late in the night. I think the small showers have something to do with the humidity (probably a simple science lesson I don't remember) and they're really predictable.

kgmadorin
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by kgmadorin » Apr Wed 11, 2007 3:14 pm

I worked at WDW for about four and a half years, and one thing was always true during the summer months: we expected rain EVERY DAY.

Afternoon storms typically blew in between 11:30am and 2:00pm, and usually only lasted an hour or two. These were actually a nice break in the day, as they seemed to clean the air and cool things off a bit. However, once the sun came out again, the steam bath would begin. Also, the lightning storms that would sometimes accompany these showers were phenomenal. The loud claps of thunder and bolts of lightning streaking across the sky would always send unsuspecting guests diving into the nearest building for shelter. Luckily, the Imagineers did their homework and installed lightning rods on almost every building at WDW, so I've never heard about any lightning related injuries.

Mostly, the afternoon precipitation was just a nice lazy drizzle, or a steady rain for half an hour, but the quick moving thunderstorms were always something to prepare for.

Hope this helps!
"Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards--the things we live by and teach our children--are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings." -- Walter Elias Disney

soccermouse

Post by soccermouse » Apr Wed 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Do people put on ponchos, run for cover or just dry-out naturally? Are most queue areas covered?

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Apr Wed 11, 2007 5:00 pm

soccermouse wrote:Do people put on ponchos, run for cover or just dry-out naturally? Are most queue areas covered?
Soccermouse I have never bought one of those ponchos, Whenever It looked like it was going to rain I would try to get into a restaurant like Comic Rays, if I was in the Magic Kingdom, or get into Innoventions to wait out the storm. Most rain storms don't last more then 45 minutes, and the provide a nice break. However there are times when it just rains all day, and even with a poncho its kinda miserable to walk in the pouring rain all day. So I would say save your money and wait out the storms.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Apr Wed 11, 2007 6:18 pm

When you come down, definately bring raingear. Check the weather in your room in the morning, and still check with the info desk before you leave to find out what the weather will be like. If its going to be rainy all day....Epcot is the best, all but Test Track are covered queues and indoor rides. If its going to be off and on, or light rain, thats a great time to do MK or MGM....most people don't go outside on those days. Then do AK if you have a day without rain. That park is pretty miserable with rain because of how its designed, you can go long distances without any cover whatsoever.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Wed 11, 2007 7:49 pm

we went in August for a few years and we had rain every day. it was always the same, a heavy downpour for about 20 minutes. one one time (out of a total 3 weeks worth over 4 years) did it last for more than that, and that was a heavy thunderstorm which blew in and created a waterspout in Clearwater Beach.

I always bring a compact pocket umbrella with me when I visit the parks. never really had to use it, as we were almost always in line indoors when it rained
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Apr Wed 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Along with rain gear, bring extra shoes too. You can buy ponchos at the park if you like. They make great souvenirs. I use to bring my family's ponchos, but got tired of carrying them. So now I buy when needed. Sometimes there is a real down pour. Occasionally you will exit a ride, to find it had rained while you were inside. It's gonna rain and you ARE going to get wet, even with rain gear. But fear not! God is kind. He brings forth a very hot sun that will dry you out in seconds. Just kind'n, more like an hour.The rain may be a pain in the bottom, but if it rains long enough, it cools the day. If not, and it is a short shower, it just makes steam. Not sure of the time. I think the showers were around 2, just about every day. There is plenty to do during the rain. Shows, shopping.....

broncoflyer8912
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by broncoflyer8912 » Apr Wed 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:I think the small showers have something to do with the humidity (probably a simple science lesson I don't remember) and they're really predictable.
Yes, due the high water content in the air, caused by Florida's subtropical climate which in the summer gives warm temperatures which allow the air to hold more water molecules than colder air. The airflow from the Gulf and the Atlantic collide and make the atmosphere unstable, and thus give the air a lifting force, pretty much the basic ingredients for a thunderstorm. The updrafts take the air up where it consdenses to cloud and then when the water molecules become to heavy to remain aloft as cloud, they fall as rain.

Thats pretty much the basics of it, I could have gone in more detail with complicated meterological terms, but I don't want to bore you with that! :) [/quote]
Sometimes the bluest part of the sky seems so far away from us, I guess thats what keeps us striving for it...
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8092/userbar517363if3.gif[/img][/url]

SimonTemplar
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by SimonTemplar » Apr Thu 12, 2007 2:15 pm

An afternoon shower is a common occurrence almost any afternoon during the Summer months. But once it passes through, the rest of your day is fine. Pack a poncho and keep on going.

:mickey3: :mickey:
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » Apr Sat 14, 2007 9:42 am

Those ponchos are capes of hell - they're the hottest thing known to man. Dive into an attraction, shop or restaurant until the shower passes. It's rarely a rainout and maybe you'll get lucky like we have the past few summers and pretty much miss on any rain.

Have fun!
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Apr Sat 14, 2007 5:19 pm

AKLRULZ wrote:Those ponchos are capes of hell - they're the hottest thing known to man. Dive into an attraction, shop or restaurant until the shower passes. It's rarely a rainout and maybe you'll get lucky like we have the past few summers and pretty much miss on any rain.

Have fun!
Yes, and then you have to carry them around all day, and after it rains you are caring a wet poncho around. I remember once it started to rain before I saw the "American Adventure" and it was done raining out by the time we were out of the show.

acp
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Sat 14, 2007 5:25 pm

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the poncho things. If it rains, it rains. Head for the nearest attraction or shop for a bit. It won't rain forever. Or.. just get wet.. whichever is more fun for you :mickey:

Andy. Always amused at people wearing ponchos on Kali River Rapids.. Like the people that were wearing them in the same boat as us... and still got as wet as we did...
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018