RIP Spectromagic

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: RIP Spectromagic

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 02, 2013 6:50 am

NaCler wrote:Apparently this was confirmed by Disney Brass today. I was hoping Spectro would come back for a while, but it's not going to happen.
But they have announced that they will have a new night time parade ~ Festival of Fantasy. Hopefully that will be a good one! :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 7:03 am

Amy wrote:
NaCler wrote:Apparently this was confirmed by Disney Brass today. I was hoping Spectro would come back for a while, but it's not going to happen.
But they have announced that they will have a new night time parade ~ Festival of Fantasy. Hopefully that will be a good one! :D
Festival of Fantasy is going to be a daytime parade that will replace the old share a dream come true/Disney dreams come true/celebrate a dream come true parade currently there.

As for junking the parade, at least I still have all the memories from seeing it. The music IMHO will always live on amongst the fans. I do wonder what if anything will be incorporated into festival of fantasy. These are night floats being brought to a day parade and it was supposed to be an all new parade.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 02, 2013 7:41 am

Len90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Festival of Fantasy is going to be a daytime parade that will replace the old share a dream come true/Disney dreams come true/celebrate a dream come true parade currently there.

As for junking the parade, at least I still have all the memories from seeing it. The music IMHO will always live on amongst the fans. I do wonder what if anything will be incorporated into festival of fantasy. These are night floats being brought to a day parade and it was supposed to be an all new parade.
Oh...I thought it was to be a night time parade. Well, this isn't as exciting as I thought then. I'm just not a big fan of the day time parades :( I am glad we still have the music from SpectroMagic though :D

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Tue 02, 2013 7:46 am

Because of this thread, I just requested that track...
-Club33Hopeful

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 8:30 am

I can't say I'll be sad if Spectromagic never comes back.

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Jul Tue 02, 2013 8:38 am

actually, it's entirely like Disney to dispose of the floats. Makes a lot of sense. Especially with new technology now available. And not just LED lighting, either. Smaller, lighter and more powerful batteries, as well as lighter construction material. I'm sentimental too, but there can be a crossing of the line into hoarding.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 11:14 am

I believe Festival of Fantasy may be able to do night parades as well. I'm not exactly sure on that though

EDIT: It's only daytime
Last edited by Cardinals314 on Jul Wed 03, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

BuzzyFan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Wed 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Wyntuck wrote:actually, it's entirely like Disney to dispose of the floats. Makes a lot of sense. Especially with new technology now available. And not just LED lighting, either. Smaller, lighter and more powerful batteries, as well as lighter construction material. I'm sentimental too, but there can be a crossing of the line into hoarding.
Aside from which, while all of those materials are changing, Disney could still do derivative/tribute/rehash versions of those floats, because while they might not hoard the floats themselves, they most certainly would keep the plans archived somewhere. Plans are really all they'd need to keep.

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 6:52 am

Len90 wrote:
rusafee1183 wrote:It seems silly to toss everything.

Spectro wasn't my fav, (those little clown things creeped me out) but it just seems like they could have found uses for most of the floats in other ways....
Well actually not silly. There were rumors going around that the floats were in disrepair and therefore could not even be refurbished.
Ah, good point. I hadn't heard that - so yeah, in that case toss it.

I know so many people will be disappointed if it doesn't come back. I am not really one of them.... I actually prefer the MSEP.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Did they do Spectro at Both DL and WDW, or was it just WDW? And did the scrap the floats in both locations? :? :goofy:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Spectro was not at DLR, MSEP was at DL we got rid of it for Light Magic (which tanked) and that was the end of night parades at DL. The parade also was at DCA, but that too no longer has night parades and also opts for shows.

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Spectro was not at DLR, MSEP was at DL we got rid of it for Light Magic (which tanked) and that was the end of night parades at DL. The parade also was at DCA, but that too no longer has night parades and also opts for shows.

Thanks for the info.. :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sat 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Spectro was not at DLR, MSEP was at DL we got rid of it for Light Magic (which tanked) and that was the end of night parades at DL. The parade also was at DCA, but that too no longer has night parades and also opts for shows.
We actually were lucky enough to see the MSEP at DCA when it was out there. It was sort of weird seeing it there as we had seen it in WDW, but also knowing that it had originated in DL. I saw the Tokyp DL version too which was very nice :D
I imagine the World of Color is a much better nighttime spectacular that won't be replaced for a long time to come!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 8:51 pm

All the nighttime shows are better than the parades, one of the problems at DLR during the 90's was that there was a parade, a show, and fireworks which created massive bottlenecks.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Sun 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Really enjoyed this parade, and have so many memories of watching it with family. It's very sad, but I'm sure it was time. Thinking about all the times I have seen it, I realized just how old it was. Want to get back to WDW so badly...maybe when I finally get there a brand new night time parade will be in place :ccat: