Long Lost Friends...Were they really that lost???

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Long Lost Friends...Were they really that lost???

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Fri 25, 2013 12:09 pm

When my two older children were little in the 80's, we watched The Disney Afternoon every day when they came home from school! I think our favorite was Duck Tales, but we loved them all! I still have such fond memories of listening to these great cartoons!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Soarin08 wrote:These are characters that no longer have a standard M&G. Keep in mind LTM events were largely chosen via guest feedback over the years and one character that HAS vanished is indeed Jiminy, mostly due to the height requirements of the character since it is such a tough costume to fit someone for.
So is Jiminy gone forever, as in they will no longer cast for his role? That is sad :( Glad we got to meet him the last time we went!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Soarin08 wrote:These are characters that no longer have a standard M&G. Keep in mind LTM events were largely chosen via guest feedback over the years and one character that HAS vanished is indeed Jiminy, mostly due to the height requirements of the character since it is such a tough costume to fit someone for.
Those pesky child labor laws.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 25, 2013 5:08 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Those pesky child labor laws.
:lol: It doesn't seem like there would a shortage of well, um, short people. But evidently that is a problem :roll:

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jan Sat 26, 2013 4:30 pm

So, this week's LTM is voting on designs to be used on merchandise that will be sold in the parks in 2014. Weak sauce. I feel bad for people visiting this week hoping for a little something in the way of a unique experience. When I was there it was Winter Wonderland. Nothing exciting but it was a unique park experience. This week: nothing.

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » Jan Sun 27, 2013 4:12 pm

I only got to see the 7 Dwarfs for a moment when I went during the Halloween party. I wish they had them out more often so I could get a pic with them and myself.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Mar Fri 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I kind of believe they were lost...lost among the MANY new characters that is :shock:. I don't think they should stop having any of these characters around...just because most kids don't know who they are doesn't mean they shouldn't still keep them in the parks :( . There are just as many older adults at the parks as there are kids, and to be fair, I don't know who Finnius & Ferb are either, (probably even got the spelling wrong, :roll:), or any of the other new Disney Channel characters.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 23, 2013 8:05 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:I kind of believe they were lost...lost among the MANY new characters that is :shock:. I don't think they should stop having any of these characters around...just because most kids don't know who they are doesn't mean they shouldn't still keep them in the parks :( . There are just as many older adults at the parks as there are kids, and to be fair, I don't know who Finnius & Ferb are either, (probably even got the spelling wrong, :roll:), or any of the other new Disney Channel characters.
Good point! It would be nice to have some of the older characters around. I bet a lot of parents would get a kick out of introducing their children to characters they enjoyed when they were little!

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Mar Sat 23, 2013 9:20 am

I get it...I really do but is Disney World for us, the parents or is it for the kids. My kids wouldn't have any idea who 90% of the characters mentioned in this thread. Quite honestly, I thinkdisney lags on this issue as it is. The Country Bears, Tom Sawyers Island, The Swiss Family Tree House are all terribly outdated. Of course, I remember them but my kids have no idea who or what they represent. Disney has to use the charactersthat are most recognizable to our children, and they do but it is us-the parents who notice the absentee of our old friends. It's a shame but a necessity for relevence.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Mar Sat 23, 2013 4:20 pm

rphillips14 wrote:I get it...I really do but is Disney World for us, the parents or is it for the kids. My kids wouldn't have any idea who 90% of the characters mentioned in this thread. Quite honestly, I thinkdisney lags on this issue as it is. The Country Bears, Tom Sawyers Island, The Swiss Family Tree House are all terribly outdated. Of course, I remember them but my kids have no idea who or what they represent. Disney has to use the charactersthat are most recognizable to our children, and they do but it is us-the parents who notice the absentee of our old friends. It's a shame but a necessity for relevence.
Kids are introduced to the characters they know from television and movies, so they could just as easily be introduced to the older characters. It's up to us to introduce them if we wish to...WDW is NOT mainly for children, it is for EVERYONE! This is EXACTLY why Walt himself created it in the first place :mickey2:! Have to admit though I don't go to WDW for the characters, would never wait in line for a photo with one, and the best thing about the characters is seeing how excited kids get when they see them. HOWEVER, I am there for the attractions, and most should NEVER be considered outdated. We can't get rid of the originals or eventually they will just have to take Walt's name off the signage, and it will just be "another amusement park" :evil:! If you want your children to know who Tom Sawyer is, READ THE BOOK TO THEM!! Besides I think kids love that island just for the freedom to run & play. Swiss Family Tree House is based on a movie that kids would love, lots of animals, living on a deserted island. Check it out in full on youtube before it gets pulled for copy write issues. And I think kids love CBJ, (definitely not my favorite, but I certainly would never want to see it pulled from the parks). You see, in the world of Disney the attractions ARE Disney, from yesterday & today. :mickey3:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Good points Sharonofwindham. Not every new attraction needs to be based on the latest Pixar movie :roll: The Haunted Mansion was fun when I was little and I had no idea what it was. The movie based on the attraction wasn't so great, but I would certainly miss it if the attraction closed.
I see lots of adults at Disney without children in tow...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Mon 25, 2013 6:17 am

I will agree. Disney was and never will be for children. It is for EVERYONE and that is why I can't stand people who want the parks to focus more on kids. For those of us who grew up with Disney classics that aren't popular as much or who don't always need a franchise tie-in for an attraction to be appealing, this practice is growing old.

Personally I'll take Haunted Mansion with no movie ties over Toy Story Mania any day.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Mar Mon 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Soarin08 wrote:I will agree. Disney was and never will be for children. It is for EVERYONE and that is why I can't stand people who want the parks to focus more on kids. For those of us who grew up with Disney classics that aren't popular as much or who don't always need a franchise tie-in for an attraction to be appealing, this practice is growing old.

Personally I'll take Haunted Mansion with no movie ties over Toy Story Mania any day.
Well said, Soarin08, well said :mickey:
How is Toy Story Mania different from the attraction in MK? Isn't it another oversized video game? :?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Tue 26, 2013 7:26 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:I will agree. Disney was and never will be for children. It is for EVERYONE and that is why I can't stand people who want the parks to focus more on kids. For those of us who grew up with Disney classics that aren't popular as much or who don't always need a franchise tie-in for an attraction to be appealing, this practice is growing old.

How is Toy Story Mania different from the attraction in MK? Isn't it another oversized video game? :?
Oh, no!

Well, yeah, but NO!

Ok let me explain. The oversized video game that is Buzz is pretty simplistic. TSMM is much better, and a lot of fun. The Wii game is JUST like it, with the exception of 3D, and the way the objects are fired. Personally, I think TSMM is much more fun than Buzz, but there is NO WAY ON THIS GREEN EARTH that I'll wait 45 minutes or more to ride. Too short.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Mar Tue 26, 2013 5:42 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:

Oh, no!

Well, yeah, but NO!

Ok let me explain. The oversized video game that is Buzz is pretty simplistic. TSMM is much better, and a lot of fun. The Wii game is JUST like it, with the exception of 3D, and the way the objects are fired. Personally, I think TSMM is much more fun than Buzz, but there is NO WAY ON THIS GREEN EARTH that I'll wait 45 minutes or more to ride. Too short.
I would definitely give it a go :goofy_bounce: