Memories of Disneyworld helps with Treatments

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Memories of Disneyworld helps with Treatments

Post by rphillips14 » Feb Sun 24, 2013 10:01 am

My family and I have loved Disney since our first trip in 2009. We have enjoyed a trip in spring of 2010, fall of 2011 and fall of 2012. Since our last trip, I have been diagnosed with Lymphoma. I am taking treatments and doing well so no complaints and this is not a “poor me” post but it’s amazing what you think about when you get that kind of diagnosis.

I find myself thinking constantly about those trips. The times we spent at Disney were times when we were just us. I was just Dad, no cell phones, no meetings, no….clutter…while we were there. Mom was Mom, our kids were just having fun. It was just a perfect time. There was no other focus and we loved it. Now, everyday I think about and remember those great times, usually listening to Subsonic. Every song reminds me of an adventure we had while there.

Cancer has a way of making you forget or not care about the unimportant stuff and remember what is really important. I know we all love Disney and yet I think I care for it more than ever now. It gave me some of the best times of my life and even though I plan to live a good long life (Oncologist is optimistic as am I) and return to Disney many times. Disney has become a memory of serenity and comfort and during this time of treatments and such, that means the world to me. I just wanted you all to know.

Thank You

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Memories of Disneyworld helps with Treatments

Post by cy1229 » Feb Sun 24, 2013 10:07 am

So when you're healthy, where do you guys think you'll stay? :) It would be fun to plan a real hum-dinger!!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 24, 2013 12:06 pm

That is great that you have a positive outlook rphillips14 ~ that will go a long way toward helping you finish treatments and come back stronger than ever. Hopefully you will be able to return to WDW sooner rather than later :mickey: and until then, continue to lean on us here!

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Feb Mon 25, 2013 5:53 am

Thank you Cy and Amy for your kind remarks and yes Cy, we would love to go back in the fall (and yes that will be a real blowout for me). I have 6 chemo treatments (1 already done, another scheduled for this Wednesday and then 4 more scheduled 21 days apart) and then 2 years of "Chemo" shots. But, if the good Lord is willing, I will hopefully be remain healthy enough to do what we wish concerning travel. So, if the good folks at Disney will re-extend free dining, we very well might be able to go in September and I would really love it. We have always stayed at Port Orleans Riverside but I can see us maybe staying at the Art of Animation.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Feb Mon 25, 2013 8:56 am

While I can't say that I've had to deal with what you are, I do like to look back on memories of trips to WDW, recent and not so recent. I sit all day at work and literally listen every minute of the workday to Subsonic Radio..so that's 40+ hours of Disney audio. Can't beat that! Plenty of well wishes are coming your way from all of us here at SR and we can't wait to hear about your next trip! Make it extra special (since each trip is special, you'd need to make this one EXTRA special)!

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Feb Mon 25, 2013 6:26 pm

rphillips14 wrote:
Cancer has a way of making you forget or not care about the unimportant stuff and remember what is really important. I know we all love Disney and yet I think I care for it more than ever now. It gave me some of the best times of my life and even though I plan to live a good long life (Oncologist is optimistic as am I) and return to Disney many times. Disney has become a memory of serenity and comfort and during this time of treatments and such, that means the world to me. I just wanted you all to know.

Thank You
Your story is pretty familiar.

My family spent a week of every January in WDW for 10 years, then we kids got too old to skip 4 days of school and/or college, and then my parents moved half way across the country making it too far a drive for a trip. And ya know, life moved on.

When my mother was diagnosed with early stage 2 breast cancer and simultaneous, non-metastasized stage 3 lung cancer (non-smoker) in 1997, her weekly chemo trips got her thinking about Disney more and more because she had to go to a happy place in her mind. So when she was post surgery and in-between chemo and/or radiation, we took her to WDW in 1999 (twice--we all got bumped from a flight and ended up with 5 free flight vouchers so we upgraded our park tickets to annual passes).

At first she didn't want us to take any pictures cause she had no hair, but soon enough she was having so much fun on Main Street that she started badgering us to get photopass pics taken as a family every time she saw a photographer.

You'll get back to the Magic Kingdom before you know it, and you'll make even more great memories.
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Mon 25, 2013 7:14 pm

rphillips14: God bless and our prayers are with you. I hope all goes well so you can enjoy many more years of trips to WDW. :goofy:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 26, 2013 12:36 am

rphillips14, I really am happy to hear that Subsonic radio is providing you with the ability to reminisce on all your happy memories as you conquer this disease. Disney is a unique place that provides us with that escape from reality where we can make those happy memories. I am just glad that subsonic radio is (in a small and microscopic way) helping you out through this ordeal. Keep up your positive attitude and remember that each passing day brings you one day closer to making new happy memories with your family in WDW.

On behalf of Team SR, I wish you a speedy recovery and return to the parks!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Feb Tue 26, 2013 1:21 am

Sending good vibes your way! :)
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

captianbubble
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by captianbubble » Feb Wed 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Hope you will much better with the positive attitude that Disney and God brings you!
Disney World Here I Come!

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Mar Sun 10, 2013 9:15 pm

rphillips14 my thoughts & prayers are with you go through your treatments. Disney does have a way of making the really tough things in life just a little more bearable :wave:. Crossing my fingers for your September trip :hatter_bounce:!