momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: Worth two dining credits?

Post by momeja » May Tue 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:
Len90 wrote:
The only place I see the dining plan being a huge savings is IF you have a 3-9 year old with a huge appetite and can really eat well. For $15-16 a day you are getting a steal.
But 3-9 year old kids have to eat off the children's menu, and unless you're at a buffet place or Liberty Tree or 'Ohana, the amount served to a 9-year-old is not very much. When we went in 2008 my younger daughter was 9 and she got really sick of choosing between chicken nuggets etc. so she and I started deciding together what to order, and we split my food. We were on the deluxe plan (just craziness, imho) so there was no shortage of food to satisfy our appetites. I would say the dining plan with children in the 7-9 year old range is horrible because they're forced onto the children's menu and they can't get the variety of interesting choices that adults can get.
Don't some of the more expensive restaurants have a better selection for kids to choose from? I seem to remember momeja's kids having salmon and other exotic-type (at least for kids) fare at least once. Although perhaps they weren't on the meal plan though.
That's true, but it's only at the signatures. The 1TS options and CS options are usually pretty limited. It also depends on the child. My youngest has never complained about the limited options for kids, but her older sister and especially her older brother complained bitterly about it, just like Cy's daughter.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Tue 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Hmm forgot about that. I was thinking more along the lines of places like O'hana, Chef Mickey, Garden Grill, etc where the child is just counted as another person and can eat until their heart is content.

The lack of food choice is an issue at many of the 1TS places.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

jiminycricket
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jiminycricket » May Wed 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Disney Dinning said it was going to 2 credits! My wife and I always joke about grabbing a Moosehead Beer and watching Illuminations! Isnt there a Moosehead Cheddar Soup in Le Cellier?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 03, 2012 7:15 am

jiminycricket wrote:Disney Dinning said it was going to 2 credits! My wife and I always joke about grabbing a Moosehead Beer and watching Illuminations! Isnt there a Moosehead Cheddar Soup in Le Cellier?
Not sure what beer they use in the cheese soup, but you'll have to have ressies no matter what. They don't do any more take-away :(

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » May Mon 07, 2012 11:00 am

We skipped Lecellier last year so this year I'm made sure to call at 7am on our 180th day and scored dinner reservations. My friend and I both believe it's completely worth 2 credits (although we wish it wasn't!!). Good choices you made with Ohauna and Chef Mickey. Ohauna's is sooooooooooooo yummy, I am now sitting here salivating just thinking about it - plus you can't beat the view for dining atmosphere!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Mon 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Just noticed that Le Cellier switched to a Signature-only menu last week. This means both Lunch and Dinner are signature meals and use the same menu.

I love a good steak...always have and always will...but this just does not make sense to me. How can a non-character meal inside of a park be a signature meal? I've eaten at Le Cellier...and it was great...but not worth what they are charging when you can walk 7-10 minutes to the Yachtsman for a much better experience for the same exact price.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 21, 2013 10:51 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Just noticed that Le Cellier switched to a Signature-only menu last week. This means both Lunch and Dinner are signature meals and use the same menu.

I love a good steak...always have and always will...but this just does not make sense to me. How can a non-character meal inside of a park be a signature meal? I've eaten at Le Cellier...and it was great...but not worth what they are charging when you can walk 7-10 minutes to the Yachtsman for a much better experience for the same exact price.
I've heard so many mixed reviews on the food quality and consistency at Le Cellier that I can't believe it would be worth 2 dining credits for lunch and dinner. I bet this will make it a bit easier to get a reservation there now though.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Mon 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Even before the disney dining came along it was still "okay" in terms of quality, but not something I would want to put a reservation 6 months in advance for.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 22, 2013 9:25 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Even before the disney dining came along it was still "okay" in terms of quality, but not something I would want to put a reservation 6 months in advance for.
I agree. The girls and I ate there in 2008 and had a FABULOUS meal. When we were there with our much larger group (10) in 2010, it was just ok. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the girls and I had remembered, and I felt like we could have gotten a better meal elsewhere in WS. So many good things to choose from!

Le Cellier is not the first Signature dining location in Epcot. The Bistro de Paris (I think that's its name) is also a signature dining location.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Tue 22, 2013 11:09 am

If I had to choose between Le Cellier and the Yachtsman...looking at the menus...I would choose the Yachtsman every time. Paying $40 for an entree at lunch just doesn't make sense to me when I paid as much as I did just to get in the park. I can almost understand dinner...as you normally won't tour much after dinner...you'd just hang around for the fireworks.

To each their own. It will definitely make it easier to eat lunch there...as I don't see it filling up with ADRs.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)