Sit down Restaurants

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mills10
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Sit down Restaurants

Post by mills10 » Feb Sat 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey everyone I have a question for you about the nicer sit down restaurants. How far in advance should you make reservations? I got into the college program and my wife and I will be down there on our second anniversary and I thought it would be fun to surprise her with a nice dinner. Our anniversary is the last Saturday in August. So how soon would you suggest making the reservation, and any recommendations on specific restaurants would be great too! Thanks!!

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Re: Sit down Restaurants

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Feb Sat 11, 2012 1:14 pm

My family tends to make reservations atleast a couple months in advance. Our original trip was scheduled for mid January, and they made reservations for LeCelier (the steakhouse in Canada) probably 2.5 months in advance.
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sat 11, 2012 2:13 pm

You can book up to 180 days in advance, and from what I've read on here, you should try to book as soon as you can once you're in that 180 day window. So, you should start looking sometime in late February.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sat 11, 2012 2:44 pm

It depends on the place, time of year, and the time you wish to eat, in some cases you can go up and make a reservation during the day without issue.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Feb Sat 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Make your reservations exactly 180 days in advance as some places are very hard to get a particular reservation. Places like LaCellier, Ohana and some of the character meals are really hard to get in if you don't really work hard on your reservations, early and often. Good Luck!

mills10

Post by mills10 » Feb Sat 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for the info everyone!

Lion Sleeps Tonight
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by Lion Sleeps Tonight » Feb Sat 11, 2012 6:18 pm

As others have said, it's good to book places in advance as far ahead as you can. Some places fill up faster than others, but it might be easier for you because it's just the two of you. But the longer you wait to book, dining times fill up and you might be stuck with something really early or late.

Keep your confirmation #s just in case the system goes down or they can't find your reservation.
"A pirate in irons be full o' guile.
And the blackest 'art wears the broadest smile."

Oh, and "Welcome Home."

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Sat 11, 2012 9:45 pm

mills10 wrote:Hey everyone I have a question for you about the nicer sit down restaurants. How far in advance should you make reservations? I got into the college program and my wife and I will be down there on our second anniversary and I thought it would be fun to surprise her with a nice dinner. Our anniversary is the last Saturday in August. So how soon would you suggest making the reservation, and any recommendations on specific restaurants would be great too! Thanks!!
Depends on what you want. If you want something like California Grill or Le Cellier, definitely do the 180 day out booking. Otherwise, a lot of them can even be gotten within that week if the restaurant is either not popular or it is a slower time. But I'd still suggest at least 2 months out if you aren't looking at one of the signature places.

I will say that Sleepy90 and Joe90 had their anniversary dinner at California Grill on this trip and showed me the photos last night at dinner. I've not dined there but based on how highly they both spoke of it, that might be a suggestion (and they have lovely desserts, from the pics they showed me). Another perk there is getting to see the fireworks.

andrewgator
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by andrewgator » Feb Sun 12, 2012 11:09 am

I always book between a month and 2 weeks out. I've never been able to get a reservation at Le Cellier or O'hana. Other than that I've been able to make almost everything.

stinoi
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by stinoi » Feb Sun 12, 2012 11:58 am

As has already been stated, I've found that availability depends on where you want to eat, at what time, and what time of year you will be there. I was able to get same-day reservations in October for Via Napoli, albeit at around 8:00. The bummer was that we only had 2 choices for restaurants because all of the others in Epcot were booked. If you want to go to a popular one like Le Cellier, then you'll probably have to book 180 days out regardless. Given when you said you'll be going, you may have a somewhat easier time getting reservations closer to the day for some of the others. Good luck!

DemonOfMusic
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DemonOfMusic » Feb Mon 13, 2012 8:07 pm

I usually book my entire trip about two months in advance, and make reservations as soon as possible afterwards. Even two months before my trip, sometime we still can't get the reservations we want. 2-2.5 months ahead is what I'd recommend.
"They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway..."

The only two places I will ever need to be are Manhattan and Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 13, 2012 8:36 pm

And don't forget to check out the cancellation policies for the various restaurants so you know what you are in for if you have to cancel any ressies.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 13, 2012 8:40 pm

I just read a review on Captain’s Grille at Disney World’s Yacht Club Resort ~ sounds like you can get in here without ressies and the food was good.
Here is the link if you are interested in reading the blog post http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/1 ... lle-lunch/

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Feb Mon 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Amy wrote:I just read a review on Captain’s Grille at Disney World’s Yacht Club Resort ~ sounds like you can get in here without ressies and the food was good.
Here is the link if you are interested in reading the blog post http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/1 ... lle-lunch/
I LOVE that place!!!!! Love it! Two thumbs up from me. Ate there last September and had a wonderful meal.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Feb Tue 14, 2012 9:24 am

Wouldn't you guys choose V&A's or LBDParis for an anniversary dinner? Something a little quieter and more romantic - or Artists' Point at WL?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016