MK open 24hrs on Feb 29, 2012 (?)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: MK open 24hrs on Feb 29, 2012 (?)

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Wed 04, 2012 5:08 pm

IMO...they would have to leave the MK Monorails running the entire time. The reason is because for off-site guests, the only way to get back to your car is via the Monorail to the TTC. So...for them to cut off the main transportation between the TTC and MK would be a little odd. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back on the number of trains running though. I thought maybe they would only have the Express Monorail running...but you would have to assume that a good number of the guests staying at the MK Resorts would be the folks taking advantage of the extra-extra-extra Magic Hours.

I wish DW and I could get down there for it...but that puts us just a month and a half away from our due date...so that ain't happenin'.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 04, 2012 5:19 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:IMO...they would have to leave the MK Monorails running the entire time. The reason is because for off-site guests, the only way to get back to your car is via the Monorail to the TTC. So...for them to cut off the main transportation between the TTC and MK would be a little odd. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back on the number of trains running though. I thought maybe they would only have the Express Monorail running...but you would have to assume that a good number of the guests staying at the MK Resorts would be the folks taking advantage of the extra-extra-extra Magic Hours.

I wish DW and I could get down there for it...but that puts us just a month and a half away from our due date...so that ain't happenin'.
Don't they also run a bus to the TTC? I would guess that would be more cost-efficient to move guests by bus than by monorail??
Hmmm, yeah, I can't imagine your wife being very happy about spending 24 hours on her feet while she is 7-1/2 months pregnant :shock:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Pretty much, monorails may look coolish (you can put as much lipstick as you want on that pig, it's still public transportation) but it's crazy expensive to run.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jan Wed 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:Ummm wow. Smart promotional move as it is a Wednesday when kids are in school. Seems like minimal staffing will be needed unless the APs go all out for it.
I wonder if it will be like any other EMH evening with only select attractions open?
With all the advertising, keeping it a big secret etc., I would be really ticked off if they didn't have the park operating full throttle after making a special trip to take advantage of this :shock: :? :x

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 8:43 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Pretty much, monorails may look coolish (you can put as much lipstick as you want on that pig, it's still public transportation) but it's crazy expensive to run.
:lol: Don't give them any ideas, they might try that as the next wrap :shock: :lol:
Sharonofwindham wrote:
Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:Ummm wow. Smart promotional move as it is a Wednesday when kids are in school. Seems like minimal staffing will be needed unless the APs go all out for it.
I wonder if it will be like any other EMH evening with only select attractions open?
With all the advertising, keeping it a big secret etc., I would be really ticked off if they didn't have the park operating full throttle after making a special trip to take advantage of this :shock: :? :x
True, but I don't see them keeping everything open. They don't even have Carousel of Progress open a lot of times during the day :(

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 11:21 am

My guess is they will run the monorail on resort line only everyone can get to where they need to go that way. The guests staying at contemporary may be a little cheesed at being last in line to get of but come on they are getting 24hr park opening.

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Jan Thu 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Who's going and which park? If I work it right, I may possibly be able to get to Disneyland but I can almost guarantee that none of my friends would be up to being in a Disney park at 3am...
:nemo:

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Thu 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:My guess is they will run the monorail on resort line only everyone can get to where they need to go that way. The guests staying at contemporary may be a little cheesed at being last in line to get of but come on they are getting 24hr park opening.
On the resort line, Contemporary is first. Besides, guests staying there can just walk to MK whenever they want. Grand Floridian guests on the other hand have the longest wait for resort line but they also have the boats.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 05, 2012 8:54 pm

That and they don't have stops between them and the MK gates. :D It's a mixed bag, first stop gets empty monorails but has to stop for everyone. Last gets in first but then coming back they have to go through all the stops.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:06 pm

annafab wrote:Who's going and which park? If I work it right, I may possibly be able to get to Disneyland but I can almost guarantee that none of my friends would be up to being in a Disney park at 3am...
You need new friends :shock: ;) :lol:
I don't imagine I can swing going ~ although I would dearly love to! I would go to WDW if I could.

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Amy wrote:
annafab wrote:Who's going and which park? If I work it right, I may possibly be able to get to Disneyland but I can almost guarantee that none of my friends would be up to being in a Disney park at 3am...
I don't imagine I can swing going ~ although I would dearly love to! I would go to WDW if I could.
Haha, don't I know it. I thought about WDW but it's surprisingly cheaper and easier for me to get to Disneyland and back with the minimal amount of days off work.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:13 pm

annafab wrote:
Amy wrote:
Haha, don't I know it. I thought about WDW but it's surprisingly cheaper and easier for me to get to Disneyland and back with the minimal amount of days off work.
Tell me your secret for cheaper and easier to California please! My niece is getting married out there this spring and I still haven't found affordable airfare :(

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Amy wrote: Tell me your secret for cheaper and easier to California please! My niece is getting married out there this spring and I still haven't found affordable airfare :(
Unfortunately it involves my mom working for an airline...I wish I could help!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 05, 2012 9:33 pm

annafab wrote:
Amy wrote: Tell me your secret for cheaper and easier to California please! My niece is getting married out there this spring and I still haven't found affordable airfare :(
Unfortunately it involves my mom working for an airline...I wish I could help!
Ah, the family discount ~ yup, that's a good one!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jan Fri 06, 2012 4:04 pm

DW's grandfather is retired from Delta...so we can get free standby tickets...but that is always a gamble to hope there will be two spots going to vacation destinations.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)