Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Polynesian Rumor

Post by Brian845 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 10:22 am

Len90 wrote:
99Soulz wrote:Adding to the rumor......

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/1 ... n-the-wind

btw, been a while since I've been on here, sorry, but good to be back.
I will say that there is a lot of rumors starting to really come up. Most of them are on this scale so I would start watching this closely. I'm assuming we'll know soon as Disney will have start blocking out the resort... That is if the refurb/rebuild is to happen.
We'll see indeed! That bus driver is all knowing I tell you:). Soon they'll start working on River Country too!;)

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Oct Wed 19, 2011 4:03 pm

It's much easier and cheaper (and safer from a guest perspective) to close an entire resort. no need to mask construction sites, no complaints of noise and debris, and no front desk calls "We planned this vacation for YEARS and there's a big crane blocking our view of the hibiscus bush!"
So, I think they will probably do a mass closure, and being asbestos-free will not be the only improvement when they reopen. Remember Disney has to keep topping itself.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Speaking of, since it's related and I am curious.

Do they grow (as ornamental rather than production) sugar cane and pineapples on the resort property?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Speaking of, since it's related and I am curious.

Do they grow (as ornamental rather than production) sugar cane and pineapples on the resort property?
I didn't think anybody had successfully grown pineapples in Florida. I know it was tried in the 70s and 80s, but I thought it fail miserably.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Oh, large scale would never work but I know you can grow Sugar cane and pineapple here without problem since I grow them in my backyard (Pele's smoke sugarcane and I forgot the cultivar of pineapple).

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh, large scale would never work but I know you can grow Sugar cane and pineapple here without problem since I grow them in my backyard (Pele's smoke sugarcane and I forgot the cultivar of pineapple).
Um, Sugar Cane is a mainstay industry in South Florida. As a matter of fact it's destroying the Glades!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Yes, I was just highlighting how temperatures have risen enough/cultivars have been developed that you can grow tropical plants in cooler parts of states, such as Central Florida.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Wed 23, 2011 11:56 am

Ok, this is a month old now, so what's the scoop? We're planning an Oct 2012 visit and LOVE 'Ohana. Staying at BLT but if we can't go to 'Ohana we're going to be bummed, especially my husband and brother-in-law, who loved the "all you can eat MEAT." What can I say, they're male carnivores. :-)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Wed 23, 2011 6:46 pm

cy1229 wrote:Ok, this is a month old now, so what's the scoop? We're planning an Oct 2012 visit and LOVE 'Ohana. Staying at BLT but if we can't go to 'Ohana we're going to be bummed, especially my husband and brother-in-law, who loved the "all you can eat MEAT." What can I say, they're male carnivores. :-)
Have you had their bread pudding? It's to die for. No seriously, I'm pretty sure I'd stab someone for that bread pudding. It has banana fosters sauce. mmmm
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Nov Thu 24, 2011 12:40 pm

OMG We have decided to eat at Ohana twice our next trip. The skewers of steak and shrimp are wonderful as well as the bread pudding!! It is now our favorite resterant in the world.....yes, the real-whole world!!

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Sat 26, 2011 4:22 pm

TikiTikiRoom wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Ok, this is a month old now, so what's the scoop? We're planning an Oct 2012 visit and LOVE 'Ohana. Staying at BLT but if we can't go to 'Ohana we're going to be bummed, especially my husband and brother-in-law, who loved the "all you can eat MEAT." What can I say, they're male carnivores. :-)
Have you had their bread pudding? It's to die for. No seriously, I'm pretty sure I'd stab someone for that bread pudding. It has banana fosters sauce. mmmm
I had forgotten about the bread pudding! How could I forget about that?! My mouth is watering now! 11months can't go fast enough...
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

andrewgator
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by andrewgator » Nov Mon 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Never heard about the asbestos. But Jim Hill did mention that there are major sinkhole problems. If you remember a few longhouses underwent some major construction a while back fix some sinking buildings. Check out the disney dish by touringplans.com with Len Testa and Jim Hill. I believe episode 2 features inside scoop on all the magic kingdom resorts.

Ohana is pretty great. Fun and tasty. But a pain to get a reservation, and still a long wait when you get there. Oh, well. More time for Lapu Lapu's and Kona Fire Rock.

Aloha!

Peerless83
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Peerless83 » Jan Sat 07, 2012 10:09 am

Don't listen to anything a bus driver says to you. There is absolutely no way that Disney would shut the entire Poly resort down at once.

DaRkNeSs

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sun 08, 2012 10:08 am

Wasnt poly just refurbed in 06 - 07? I do not see Disney completely closing an entire premium resort for refurbs either that is alot of money down the drain since it also one of the big 3 that the monorail travels too. NO WAY they would just shut it down completely! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » Jan Sun 08, 2012 3:48 pm

I definitely hope this is just a rumor! We were thinking of staying there next year and at the very least, we're planning on Dinner at Ohauna. Please don't close the Poly!!