What is the slowest time at Disney?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

kosmosworld
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

What is the slowest time at Disney?

Post by kosmosworld » Mar Tue 22, 2011 2:05 pm

My wife and I always try to pick a "slow" time to go to Disneyworld. Usually no Holidays, Weekends, Summer, etc. The slowest that I've ever visited was around APRIL 27th (after Easter). There were hardly any lines. Are there any slow days "slower" than usual that anyone know of?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: What is the slowest time at Disney?

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:01 pm

It depends on what you want to get out of slow times, if you just want no one there then probably mid Jan to feb is really slow. But they also then may have shorter hours for the parks and more closed attractions since that is when they do a lot of refurbishment.

I can't recall the timeframe I went in 08 but I remember it was after spring break season and before summer, the parks had summer hours (open early and close late) and the crowds were light for the majority of the time. Another week that apparently is really slow but has the long hours is the week or two before Thanksgiving week.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Yeah it is pretty slow between Easter and the last week in June when Summer vacation starts. The crowds are fairly light from the last week in August all the way to Fall Break and Thanksgiving in November. Of course some days get more traffic and holiday weekends will have more people...but overall the crowds are manageable. Another great time to go would be early/mid December...before the week before Christmas. There will be hardly anyone there because school won't be out yet and most people who go in December will be going between Christmas and New Years. It gets slow again in January after the Marathon weekend as well.

If you want to go this year...try December 10-16. The crowds will be very, very low and you will get to experience all of the Christmas decorations, parades, and music.

Me? I married a teacher...so as long as she is teaching we will be stuck going during busy/peak times...when the rest of creation is there as well. :?
Last edited by theBIGyowski on Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

kosmosworld

Post by kosmosworld » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It depends on what you want to get out of slow times, if you just want no one there then probably mid Jan to feb is really slow. But they also then may have shorter hours for the parks and more closed attractions since that is when they do a lot of refurbishment.

I can't recall the timeframe I went in 08 but I remember it was after spring break season and before summer, the parks had summer hours (open early and close late) and the crowds were light for the majority of the time. Another week that apparently is really slow but has the long hours is the week or two before Thanksgiving week.
Sound nice. We are planning that week before Thanksgiving. Usually, the long hours give away how busy it is going to be.

kosmosworld

Post by kosmosworld » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:10 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Yeah it is pretty slow between Easter and the last week in June when Summer vacation starts. The crowds are fairly light from the last week in August all the way to Fall Break and Thanksgiving in November. Of course some days get more traffic and holiday weekends will have more people...but overall the crowds are manageable. Another great time to go would be early/mid December...before the week before Christmas. There will be hardly anyone there because school won't be out yet and most people who go in December will be going between Christmas and New Years. It gets slow again in January after the Marathon weekend as well.

If you want to go this year...try December 10-16. The crowds will be very, very low and you will get to experience all of the Christmas decorations, parades, and music.

Me? I married a teacher...so as long as she is teaching we will be stuck going during busy/peak times...when the rest of creation is there as well. :?
My wife & I were on our Honeymoon the week after the 16th. It was nice. But I heard since the dining passes have been given out, it's gotten a little busier.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I guess the reason they have really long hours the week (or two) leading up high traffic weekends is to just get things all up to speed.

kosmosworld

Post by kosmosworld » Mar Tue 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I guess the reason they have really long hours the week (or two) leading up high traffic weekends is to just get things all up to speed.
That is certainly good to know!

disneygirl223
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by disneygirl223 » Mar Tue 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Sept. after labor day is when kids go back to school. When kids are there,
that means the lines to attractions are pretty long. You could go during
christmas break if you want to see more of the holiday parades and stuff. :wink:

kosmosworld

Post by kosmosworld » Mar Tue 22, 2011 9:40 pm

disneygirl223 wrote:Sept. after labor day is when kids go back to school. When kids are there,
that means the lines to attractions are pretty long. You could go during
christmas break if you want to see more of the holiday parades and stuff. :wink:
That is a very good day. We went the day after labor day, last September. It was very nice.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Mar Tue 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Yep, I echo what everyone is saying. Late January (after MLK Weekend) is slow. So are the first weeks in November and the week after Thanksgiving.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

And early September. Dead and good weather, too.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Apr Mon 04, 2011 8:13 pm

I LOVE going around the middle of May. I'm not saying it is dead, but the lines usually don't top 30-40 minutes for a lot of the major rides. I always go around May 14th (whatever the Saturday closest to that is) and stay for a week (I get out before Memorial Day). We notice a bit more foot traffic in the few days before Memorial Day if we are on an extended trip, but we love the middle of May...great weather and manageable crowds!

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

proudcanuck
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by proudcanuck » Apr Sat 09, 2011 4:12 am

I find the best 2 months for non busy times is May and Sept. Sept is usually the best as the kids have just returned to school.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Apr Sat 23, 2011 8:29 am

The slowest time at Disney is the line for character greeting for Mickey and Minnie. Rightfully so, the character take their time with each child and that's good but if your deep in that line-Holy cow it moves really, really SLOW.
Last edited by rphillips14 on Apr Sun 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Apr Sat 23, 2011 8:38 am

I would agree September and even October. Though it seems like October is large group tour season.