Neither
3%

Total votes: 30

wwwalsh
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

World of Motion vs. Test Track

Post by wwwalsh » Feb Tue 15, 2011 7:02 pm

As I was listening to the float through of WoM, it got me thinking about what most prefer ... the old or the new?

Pros of World of Motion:
Dark ride, cool animatronics, a history lesson, clever humor

Cons of World of Motion
Not a lot of character (no memorable characters or scenes), ride vehicle track is boring (just a conveyor belt of ride vehicles), the song is uninspired, slow moving ride, didn't age well

Pros of Test Track:
Fast moving, you go inside and outside the building, kinda educational, different thrills (quick stopping, temperature changes)

Cons of Test Track:
It's like riding in a convertible (which is boring), no character whatsoever, no creativity, not memorable

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: World of Motion vs. Test Track

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Good topic!
Hmmm, I liked World of Motion and I like Test Track. It is hard to compare them because even though they are both about how we get around, the attractions themselves are so different. I remember World of Motion fondly since that is one of the attractions I remember from my first trip to EPCOT. But I must admit, when I watched a video of the attraction on youtube I was surprised at how video screens comprised a lot of the ride :shock: I do think World of Motion was more innovative and showed more imagination than Test Track.
I guess I would have to make it a tie...

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by csquare77 » Feb Tue 15, 2011 7:51 pm

I would give the edge to WOM, mainly because it's the ride I grew up with.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Tue 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Test Track by far. I know I rode WoM many times as a child (we went once a year every year when I was growing up), but I couldn't remember anything about it when I read this topic. Even after watching the video to refresh my memory, I still don't recognize anything from it. I think that says a lot about it. And it's not an issue of having been too young because I was ... 10? when it closed and can clearly remember Delta Dreamflight, which closed just six months after WoM.

After watching it, I think it's too similar to Spaceship Earth without as much impact. And Amy is right - there were a whole lot of video screens!

Test Track is much more memorable and thrilling, while providing insight into car testing. Epcot needed a thrill ride and Test Track fills that need while providing the educational experience expected from Epcot.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Kieffer12
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Kieffer12 » Feb Tue 15, 2011 8:57 pm

I like them both. I wish Disney would have left WoM open and built test track behind it. You could have entered test track from inside WoM pavillion. It would have been great.
Kieffer 12

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Tue 15, 2011 9:40 pm

As much as I love old EPCOT, I will have to go with Test Track. WoM was not impressive, and featured many dead rooms where it was filled with projection stuff from TRON (the original). Test Track to me in an entertaining way informs the public the kind of ways cars are tested before they ever hit sales lots.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Feb Tue 15, 2011 10:20 pm

mindflipper wrote:As much as I love old EPCOT, I will have to go with Test Track. WoM was not impressive, and featured many dead rooms where it was filled with projection stuff from TRON (the original). Test Track to me in an entertaining way informs the public the kind of ways cars are tested before they ever hit sales lots.
Yes, WoM - although it has a great soundtrack - was another one of the 10 reasons why we didn't go back to Epcot for 10 yrs. The whole thing felt like one long GM commercial...

leblanan
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by leblanan » Feb Tue 15, 2011 10:29 pm

I did vot for test track, but i do disagree with no memorable scenes of world of motion. There was the famous traffic jam scene.
"now, bring me that horizon"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 15, 2011 10:50 pm

What made it famous?

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Feb Tue 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Voted for WoM here... MAINLY because I grew up with the attraction. I just really loved that first scene with the caveman blowing on his burned feet. I love the music from it, although I agree that the 35 minute track on here does get a bit old after awhile.

I'm not a big fan of Test Track. The road tests do nothing for me and you usually go faster in your car. I actually can't tell you the last time I actually rode this attraction. I was kind of bummed that I didn't get to go on it with Amy in December, though. Sorry Amy...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Wed 16, 2011 8:13 am

Wizzard419 wrote:What made it famous?
It made an impression on me when I was little simply due to the sheer size of the scene. It was supposed to be the world's first traffic jam when all the different forms of transportation collided. There was so much to look at and listen to...here is a photo I found on Photobucket ~
NaCler wrote:Voted for WoM here... MAINLY because I grew up with the attraction. I just really loved that first scene with the caveman blowing on his burned feet. I love the music from it, although I agree that the 35 minute track on here does get a bit old after awhile.
I'm not a big fan of Test Track. The road tests do nothing for me and you usually go faster in your car. I actually can't tell you the last time I actually rode this attraction. I was kind of bummed that I didn't get to go on it with Amy in December, though. Sorry Amy...
Yeah, we didn't get to ride anything thrilling did we? :shock: Oh well, Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy let us all spend some quality time together :lol:

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Feb Wed 16, 2011 8:30 am

While I do like Test Track, I grew up with rides full of animatronics (WoM, Horizons, GMR, the first incarnation of Imagination, etc.) and I still love them. At least the ones that still have more than just 2 animatronics...
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Wed 16, 2011 8:31 am

MadEye wrote:While I do like Test Track, I grew up with rides full of animatronics (WoM, Horizons, GMR, the first incarnation of Imagination, etc.) and I still love them. At least the ones that still have more than just 2 animatronics...
And it's nice if the AA's are functioning properly! ;) :lol:

momeja

Post by momeja » Feb Wed 16, 2011 8:36 am

Amy wrote:
MadEye wrote:While I do like Test Track, I grew up with rides full of animatronics (WoM, Horizons, GMR, the first incarnation of Imagination, etc.) and I still love them. At least the ones that still have more than just 2 animatronics...
And it's nice if the AA's are functioning properly! ;) :lol:
No criticism of AK in that statement... :wink: :roll: :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Wed 16, 2011 9:31 am

Amy wrote:Image
I don't know if you're aware of this, but not all those characters in that scene were animatronics. Many of them were basically stationary like statues. The fact that some were animatronics that moved made you think they all were animatronics that moved, but that wasn't the case. And in some cases the animatronics weren't completely animated characters. A head move, or an arm, but the rest of it could not. More like an animated mannequin. Disney couldn't afford to stock that one scene with that many animatronics or it would have wrecked the budget.