Lagoon Views at the Polynesian

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

csquare77
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Lagoon Views at the Polynesian

Post by csquare77 » Feb Sun 13, 2011 4:20 pm

How are those rooms? I never stayed in one and was curious if the views were decent?

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Re: Lagoon Views at the Polynesian

Post by momeja » Feb Sun 13, 2011 5:28 pm

I don't know if by lagoon view you include MK view, but we had the pleasure of a lagoon view/MK view room in the Tahiti Longhouse in 2001 (back before they distinguished between lagoon view and MK view), and it was one of the most memorable experience I've ever had at WDW. We were on the 3rd floor and could see the fireworks at night and the castle changing colour. It was truly magical and is probably the reason why we're all now complete Disney nuts. The Tahiti is a great longhouse to request. It's far from the Grand Ceremonial House but near the Ticket and Transportation Center. You can take the little path to the TTC and hop right on the monorail in the morning to go to either Epcot or MK. We loved the location.

csquare77

Post by csquare77 » Feb Sun 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the into/opinion.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sun 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks, momeja. You make me want to stay at Poly even more now. I wanted to stay there back in Dec. when I went, but no reservations were available for that weekend.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Sun 13, 2011 10:10 pm

momeja wrote:I don't know if by lagoon view you include MK view
The "Lagoon View" is going to have a view of Bay Lake and the surroundings. You may have some partial or obstructed view (or even full on if you're really lucky!) of the castle, though typically the best views are going to be reserved for the "Theme Park View" category (which costs even more money). Straight from the Disney Website: "Lagoon View Rooms are located in the Tuvalu, Tahiti, Tokelau and Aotearoa Buildings and offer views of the beautiful Seven Seas Lagoon. They also offer views of Disney's Wedding Pavilion, Space Mountain, Cinderella Castle, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa or Disney's Contemporary Resort."
Last edited by Polynesian Princess on Feb Mon 14, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Mon 14, 2011 8:39 am

I have not stayed at the Poly before...but have been to the grounds a few times and I can say it looks like the Tahiti longhouse would give you the best combination of view and location because of its proximity to the TTC.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Mon 14, 2011 9:40 am

I've actually heard people say that there isn't a "bad view" at the Polynesian. Even the rooms that are looking towards the parking lot, you get to watch the monorail going by (though of course those aren't "Lagoon View" rooms). :)
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Mon 14, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm actually surprised that anyone here takes them up on those rooms. I'm not sure about anyone else but last time I went I was only in the room for a short period since I was out the door at about 7:30 to get a yogurt and then didn't get back till after midnight (with a short return to change for dinner). :D

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Mon 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm actually surprised that anyone here takes them up on those rooms. I'm not sure about anyone else but last time I went I was only in the room for a short period since I was out the door at about 7:30 to get a yogurt and then didn't get back till after midnight (with a short return to change for dinner). :D
I agree with you. I like staying at the different resorts for the theming, experience, amenities, etc. and don't really care about the view. I've had rooms overlooking where the CMs dump the trash and didn't care. :lol: My only exceptions to this would be at AKL (the savannah view is the whole point of the hotel, imo) and Contemporary (still not picky about the view, but wouldn't stay in the Garden Wing because again, staying in the tower is the "point" to me). Sure, a room looking at the castle would be really nice, but it's not worth the money to me (though maybe one day if I'm rich... :lol: ) and I certainly wouldn't value a Lagoon View or equivalent type room.

But I know the view is important to others if they spend more time in the room (I'm a commando attractions girl myself :lol: ) or even just enjoy their balcony in the mornings and evenings. It seemed like to me like the original poster does value the view.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 15, 2011 2:36 am

Vacation rooms, for me at least, have different requirements than if I'm on a work trip. Though one thing I always want when on vacation (if it's possible) is a first floor room so that leaving is just a clear shot out and no hold ups if a lot of people are trying to leave at the same time.

From exp. if you ever get caught with a large group of people (a conference) leaving the hotel at the same time and all the elevators are full, just press up and you will get in the car first.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Tue 15, 2011 6:29 am

Wizzard419 wrote:...From exp. if you ever get caught with a large group of people (a conference) leaving the hotel at the same time and all the elevators are full, just press up and you will get in the car first.
Good tip ~ but then don't you end up squished in the back corner when the elevator comes back down and everyone crowds on? :shock:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Use your luggage as a shield, that way they won't be able to crush you.

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Feb Wed 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Does anyone know if you can any of the Water Main street Electrical Parade from a Poly room? That would be cool. How much extra do they get for a room for with a better view? I'm thinking about staying there is the extra money worth it?

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Feb Wed 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Figment of Imagination wrote:Does anyone know if you can any of the Water Main street Electrical Parade from a Poly room? That would be cool. How much extra do they get for a room for with a better view? I'm thinking about staying there is the extra money worth it?
I am assuming you are referring to the Electrical Water Pageant...and if so...yes you can see if from the Polynesian rooms that face the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Here is a great write-up done on the Polynesian that should be of some help:
http://allears.net/ae/issue448.htm

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Mon 28, 2011 12:08 am

Figment of Imagination wrote:Does anyone know if you can any of the Water Main street Electrical Parade from a Poly room? That would be cool. How much extra do they get for a room for with a better view? I'm thinking about staying there is the extra money worth it?
Yes, you can see the Electrical Water Pageant from some of the Lagoon View rooms at the Polynesian. A Lagoon View is about $100 - $130 more per night than the standard, or Garden View rooms (http://allears.net/acc/faq_poly.htm). Of course, you'll also be able to see it from a Theme Park View room, which costs even more. Some of the rooms will have a better view than others - some of the Garden View rooms even have at least a partial view of it (I just stayed in one in Tokelau that did), but that's more random. Judging by the layout of the place (http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/PolynesianMap.pdf) and the location of the Electrical Water Pageant, Tuvalu is probably your best bet for a good view of it. Hawaii will also have a nice view, but of course that's the club level building, so that costs extra.