What's your favorite sense...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

davea61
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

What's your favorite sense...

Post by davea61 » Dec Wed 01, 2010 1:41 pm

I just posted a reply in another forum and it gave me an idea for this one.

If you had to choose one of your favorite senses to use while visiting the parks, which would it be?

Seeing
Taste
Touch
Smell
Hearing
(Common sense is not included :D )

Naturally, I enjoy all of my senses while there but I have to pick Seeing. All the architecture, the landscaping, the theming, and the decorations. Even the people. I enjoy this the most. Seeing kids reactions, everyone smiling and enjoying themselves. It reminds me how truly blessed we all are.

Ok...what's yours?

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: What's your favorite sense...

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Thu 02, 2010 9:20 am

What about the sixth sense? I share a special mental link with Chip and Dale.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Dec Thu 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Wow...this is a hard one seeing as WDW and DLR pay special attention to every single one of the senses in almost ever facet of the parks.

If I imagine that I am deaf, the smells and sights of the parks (especially MK) would be amazing and enough to sustain the magic. Same goes for if I were blind. The music as you walk from land to land and attraction to attraction would be enough to paint a picture without needing to see anything.

If I had to pick my favorite...it would probably be sight...mostly because of the attractions themselves. Without being able to see you would miss out on almost every single attraction. Also seeing the castle and SSE for the first time as you approach the parks...it's hard to beat that. Close second would be sound though...which is why Subsonic Radio is so amazing!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Dec Thu 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Wow! This is really tough! Music plays such a huge part to me that I could never imagine not being able to hear the sounds of the parks. The music, the laughter, the steamboat whistle, the railroad moving along the tracks...the list could go on! But I also couldn't imagine not being able to see all the details that are all around in every park, on every attraction.

Sorry, but sight and sound go hand in hand for me...if I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably say sight though. If ever I walked in to a park and wasn't able to see the attractions, I think I'd go crazy!

Mr.ToadWildRider

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Thu 02, 2010 4:21 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Wow...this is a hard one seeing as WDW and DLR pay special attention to every single one of the senses in almost ever facet of the parks.

If I imagine that I am deaf, the smells and sights of the parks (especially MK) would be amazing and enough to sustain the magic. Same goes for if I were blind. The music as you walk from land to land and attraction to attraction would be enough to paint a picture without needing to see anything.

If I had to pick my favorite...it would probably be sight...mostly because of the attractions themselves. Without being able to see you would miss out on almost every single attraction. Also seeing the castle and SSE for the first time as you approach the parks...it's hard to beat that. Close second would be sound though...which is why Subsonic Radio is so amazing!
Well sight is our most relaied upon sense as humans. Additionally, listening to ride throughs here on Sub is great but doesn't come close to being there. If you were on Pirates and couldn't hear you'd still see everything going on around you, whereas if you could only listen to Yo-Ho I think you'd be hard pressed to understand whats going on around you. But then again, and I suppose it'd fall under touch, without the motion of the ride or the smell of the ride you could just be watching a video of the attraction and it wouldn't really work.

I think going off of which sense you need more to enjoy the park is an uphill battle. Even though I'm sure sight is the most needed to fully experience the park, (without sight you wouldn't be able to enjoy the Castle or the scope of SSE, etc no matter how strong your other senses were) I think that the premise of the question- i.e. which do you enjoy most gets lost by looking at it that way though it's an interesting thought. I think though that for example if your favorite rides are thrill rides because of the sensations they provide then that person's most enjoyed sense in the park would be touch, but without sight Test Track wouldn't be much different that driving in a standard car and Star Tours or Mission Space would just feel like rocking.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 8:53 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Wow! This is really tough! Music plays such a huge part to me that I could never imagine not being able to hear the sounds of the parks. The music, the laughter, the steamboat whistle, the railroad moving along the tracks...the list could go on! But I also couldn't imagine not being able to see all the details that are all around in every park, on every attraction.

Sorry, but sight and sound go hand in hand for me...if I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably say sight though. If ever I walked in to a park and wasn't able to see the attractions, I think I'd go crazy!
ditto! :D

happysneakers
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by happysneakers » Feb Sun 13, 2011 11:14 am

This is tough and I'm going to say that you cant pick just one. Disney is really a sensory overload. The experience plays on all the scenes. Missing more than one limits the experience. So I will alter my decision and say out of all the scenes, i would give up sight. Smell, taste, sound and touch are the most crucial in my book.

Arvorenn
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Arvorenn » Feb Sun 13, 2011 11:52 am

Interesting (and tough) question.
Okay, if I really had to choose one, it would be sight, as with most of you guys. Simply because the parks are crowded with details and I would be very disappointed not being able to look for hidden Mickeys :mickey:

But of course you can't experience the parks in full with one of your senses missing (okay, one could argue about common sense - which seems to be lacking some of the guests, e.g. teenagers who rent scooters without needing them. Or people who take flash photography during shows...).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 13, 2011 11:58 am

Arvorenn wrote:Interesting (and tough) question.
Okay, if I really had to choose one, it would be sight, as with most of you guys. Simply because the parks are crowded with details and I would be very disappointed not being able to look for hidden Mickeys :mickey:

But of course you can't experience the parks in full with one of your senses missing (okay, one could argue about common sense - which seems to be lacking some of the guests, e.g. teenagers who rent scooters without needing them. Or people who take flash photography during shows...).
Are you sure you are only 20? You are very wise for your tender years! :D

Arvorenn
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Arvorenn » Feb Sun 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Amy wrote:Are you sure you are only 20? You are very wise for your tender years! :D
Well, thank you - I try my very best :mrgreen:
But, now that you mention it, I'm not 20 - at least, not until August :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Sun 13, 2011 12:09 pm

Arvorenn wrote:
Amy wrote:Are you sure you are only 20? You are very wise for your tender years! :D
Well, thank you - I try my very best :mrgreen:
But, now that you mention it, I'm not 20 - at least, not until August :)
Aww, you're just a pup ~ I think you are younger than our dear Len90 :shock:

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Sun 13, 2011 10:18 pm

I have to pick seeing. I think I could best enjoy the attractions that way and see all of the beautiful things to see.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Sun 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I have to pick common sense. Because while the other senses get overwhelmed by the sights and sound, this one seems to be underworked by many guests at the parks. From people getting out of ride vehicles when its prohibited and unsafe to those parents who use a child-filled stroller as a weapon and not as mode of transportation containing their precious family offspring, I think if people could use common sense as much as their other senses they could have a better time at the park as well as not negatively impacting the enjoyment of other park guests.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Feb Mon 14, 2011 9:20 am

Sight. I'd like to see where I am going so I don't walk into some stranger and I'd like to see if some idiot pushing a stroller/wheelchair or using those forsaken ECVs about to hit my ankles.

There is a blind man who frequents MGM almost weekly on his own. The park(s) must be very interesting to him!
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Feb Mon 14, 2011 9:37 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Well sight is our most relaied upon sense as humans. Additionally, listening to ride throughs here on Sub is great but doesn't come close to being there. If you were on Pirates and couldn't hear you'd still see everything going on around you, whereas if you could only listen to Yo-Ho I think you'd be hard pressed to understand whats going on around you. But then again, and I suppose it'd fall under touch, without the motion of the ride or the smell of the ride you could just be watching a video of the attraction and it wouldn't really work.

I think going off of which sense you need more to enjoy the park is an uphill battle. Even though I'm sure sight is the most needed to fully experience the park, (without sight you wouldn't be able to enjoy the Castle or the scope of SSE, etc no matter how strong your other senses were) I think that the premise of the question- i.e. which do you enjoy most gets lost by looking at it that way though it's an interesting thought. I think though that for example if your favorite rides are thrill rides because of the sensations they provide then that person's most enjoyed sense in the park would be touch, but without sight Test Track wouldn't be much different that driving in a standard car and Star Tours or Mission Space would just feel like rocking.
Somehow I missed this post last night, but I think it's very well articulated! Looking at it that way, I would want touch for the feeling of the thrill rides. :lol: Can I have two?
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!