If WDW had to close two parks...

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Nz58cl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by Nz58cl » Jan Tue 27, 2009 7:28 am

I would close AK and DHS, not that I dislike those parks it's just I like the other two a little bit better. I would of course move some rides and attractions over to the other two parks.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Jan Tue 27, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm on the close down one of the ones in Asia, and DIsneyland Paris. WDW is too sacred to waste all of the time and effort.

neapolis
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: If WDW had to close two parks...

Post by neapolis » Oct Sat 02, 2010 5:38 am

Umm tough ... but it would have to be Epcot and Animal kingdom, if the waterparks were included i think i would change epcot for Blizzard beach

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Mon 04, 2010 12:27 am

I'd save MK and Epcot....hands down!

Like others have said, it's not that I dislike AK and DHS or anything, but MK and Epcot are the 2 staple parks at WDW in my mind.

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Nov Thu 04, 2010 9:00 pm

As long as it's not Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, I'm fine. I like the other two parks, but those two are my favorites.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Thu 04, 2010 9:09 pm

It would bother me at all if the AK closed (just move Extinction and Everest), but it would be hard to not have MGM (yea I call it MGM). I'd miss the rides, restaurants, and shows!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Admiral01
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Admiral01 » Nov Fri 05, 2010 12:05 am

EPCOT and MK are the two worth saving. However, if you removed Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress from the MK and moved them to Disneyland or EPCOT (or the other saved WDW park, DHS is my third in this line of succession) then there isn't much unique about the MK that you can't find at Disneyland. I personally prefer Disneyland Park to the Magic Kingdom.

Lucky for all of us, WDW Resort will not choose to close a theme park or water park before they closed more of the fluff that the resort has. Race tracks and personal water craft and the cheap-o economy resorts, and all that stuff. The moderate and delux resorts and the parks are WDW's bread and butter. Heck, I could see them cutting bus service before ever closing a theme park. One makes money, the other doesn't.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Fri 05, 2010 6:27 am

I'd say first close AK. I love that park, but it just seems like it would be the easiest to close. Move the good shows to DHS, move EE to the MK, move some of the animals to the AK Lodge and donate the rest to game preserves around the world, and what's left really? That whole area could go back to "nature" much quicker than any other park site. Plus, it wouldn't be much of a loss as far as the restaurants go. Flame Tree BBQ is good, Tusker House is okay, but nothing else is really worth saving. Not like the signature restaurants at Epcot, MK, and DHS, anyway.
As for the second park to close.... hmmmmm.... I know we're not "allowed" to say the water parks, but there's just no other way around it. The "Big Three" (Epcot, MK, DHS) are just "too big to fail," so like it or not, it has to be the water parks... or at least one of them. I vote for Typhoon Lagoon. It's the least distinctive, least unique park as far as I'm concerned. Besides, it's only "seasonal" to a certain extent. Why even consider closing one of the "Big Three" when you can ditch that one? Yeah, it could be argued that it's much less expensive to run and maintain.... but it's also certainly way less of a money maker too.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Fri 05, 2010 8:46 am

AK would be my first choice, and of the three left, I would sacrifice DHS before MK or EPCOT...

mkfan1992
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by mkfan1992 » Nov Sat 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I'd save the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I think the other two need some editing... They both get dull after a while...
Cast a spell of light, glimmering, shimmering, CAROUSELING!

Satchel T
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Satchel T » Jul Fri 22, 2011 12:23 am

This is simple ... The water parks are done dude! There's no reason to keep them opened. Easy!

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Jul Fri 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I've got to agree with what everyone else has said: close AK and DHS, and maybe the water parks too. And not just because they're not as big as the MK or EPCOT, but because they're all essentially copies of other, non-Disney attractions in Central Florida. Michael Eisner wanted the Studios to compete with Universal. AK was designed to keep people from visiting Busch Gardens to get the animals-and-roller-coasters experience. And the water parks were built to keep people from leaving Disney property to go to one of Orlando's other water parks. Compared to the MK and EPCOT, all the other parks on the Florida property exist for very cynical, spreadsheet-related reasons.

Now, I don't mind the Studios so much. In fact, I like it. But in the perfect world where I rule Walt Disney World from my complex of suites atop the Contemporary, Animal Kingdom and the water parks would definitely not exist. In my view,all they do is suck maintenance dollars away from more important things, like Future World and Tomorrowland.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Sat 30, 2011 11:31 pm

I can't even imagine it :cry: .

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Sun 31, 2011 7:55 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:I can't even imagine it :cry: .
I wondered if you would see that so many people want to close AK ~ I would miss that park too :(

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Sun 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Amy wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:I can't even imagine it :cry: .
I wondered if you would see that so many people want to close AK ~ I would miss that park too :(
Love AK! I could, and have, spent ALOT of time observing the animals. Actually made special trips to do so. Really love the atmosphere, the oasis and the gardens around the tree of life are magical! I think alot of people don't care for this park because people in general like their "entertainment" on their terms, and you can't really have that with live animals.
I also really like DINOSAUR, and I still haven't experienced EXPEDITION EVEREST.