Fantasyland Expansion

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Fantasyland Expansion...

Post by Len90 » Aug Tue 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Future Guy, the rumors are really flying around right now. I fear that whatever is being talked about will be changed numerous times between now and completion. I think it is safe to say that the Dumbo, Beauty and Beast Restaurant, and Mermaid ride are the safe bets. We also do know that stuff will be built as Disney would not have invested the money to clear all the that land if they only are planning on using some of it.

I really hope all these rumors can help make the next three years fly by!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 25, 2010 7:03 am

Len90 wrote:Future Guy, the rumors are really flying around right now. I fear that whatever is being talked about will be changed numerous times between now and completion. I think it is safe to say that the Dumbo, Beauty and Beast Restaurant, and Mermaid ride are the safe bets. We also do know that stuff will be built as Disney would not have invested the money to clear all the that land if they only are planning on using some of it.

I really hope all these rumors can help make the next three years fly by!
The anticipation and rumors help the time go by quicker for sure :D

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Thu 26, 2010 9:43 am

Len90 wrote: We also do know that stuff will be built as Disney would not have invested the money to clear all the that land if they only are planning on using some of it.
Well that's kind of up for debate. They built all those zombie land hotel units.... They may PLAN on using it, but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily.

jenhen27
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jenhen27 » Aug Thu 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Future Guy, not sure on a mine train coaster. They already have one of those in Frontierland and they already have a Snow White Ride. I would however love to see something more than an extra dumbo ride and a just one new mermaid ride after all is said and done. Seems like an awful lot of catering to the little girls and their princesses but that's Disney's bread and butter I suppose. As long as they don't take my Peter Pan I'll be happy.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Fri 27, 2010 1:40 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
Len90 wrote: We also do know that stuff will be built as Disney would not have invested the money to clear all the that land if they only are planning on using some of it.
Well that's kind of up for debate. They built all those zombie land hotel units.... They may PLAN on using it, but that doesn't mean that they will necessarily.
Very true. I just am trying to remain hopeful that something like that doesn't happen in one of their theme parks... let alone in the Magic Kingdom.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Fri 27, 2010 11:02 am

Len90 wrote:
Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:
Very true. I just am trying to remain hopeful that something like that doesn't happen in one of their theme parks... let alone in the Magic Kingdom.
It's okay to leave an attraction sitting there dead - like EPCOT's WoL or 20K UTS at MK - but just to leave a giant area of cleared ground? I don't think even Disney would tolerate an eyesore like that. Clearing ground for hotel is one thing, but leaving a big undeveloped hole in the middle of a theme park is another.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Aug Fri 27, 2010 11:23 am

mindflipper - Yeah, but they could put in a bunch of benches/covered areas/vending carts to cover-up that eyesore until more "concrete" plans are developed. Wasted space... I would hate to see that also.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Aug Fri 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Regarding the recent news of the revamping of the plans....I'll play some devil's advocate to the comments about it being targetted to little girls. I too was surprised to see an expansion of this scale focussing on just one aspect, princesses. But I have to tell you my eyes have opened now with having 2 daughters and being occasional visiters to the World. If you were to ask me if the MK was geared more to boys or girls I would have said it was gender neutral (before having a daughter) but after visiting with them I've realized how heavily weighed it is towards boys and in fact it's grossly weighed to boys.

Now, let me say this first. I in no way think girls can't or shouldn't aspire to become or experience "boy" things. I am only speaking of the reality of asking the majority of boys and girls what they prefer. Upon visiting the World for the first time with daugheters it really opened my eyes as to how much boy-stereotype things there are compared to girl-stereotype. Tommorrowland has rocketships, race cars, and astronauts. Adventureland has Pirates and Indiana Jones-type explorer theme in all the giftshops, Frontierland has the good old cowboy and indian feel and an island with a trails and forts. Trust me when I say girls are able to enjoy these type of things too - I have lots of pictures of getting my girls to hold a pirate sword or toy gun in the gift shops.

But in reality 9 out of 10 girls aren't going to ask for pirate swords, toy guns, rocket ships or race cars on their birthday. But I can guarantee you 9 out of 10 boys wouldn't mind opening them up on theirs.

In fact, there are actually zero attractions geared to a girl stereotype. Instead only 2 meet and greets (Ariel's Grotto & Storytime with Belle).

So looking at the original expansion plans, I'd say half was really geared to girls and those being the meet and greets. The other additions would be enjoyed by all (Little Mermaid, Be Our Guest/Gastons, Dumbo area). I'm anxious to see what this new guy has in store for the revamping of the plans. I agree the park should be enjoyed by all and I would be happy to see some more things for my daughters to enjoy.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 27, 2010 4:19 pm

That is an interesting perspective from a mother of daughters 99Soulz...

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Aug Fri 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Amy wrote:That is an interesting perspective from a mother of daughters 99Soulz...
or FATHER... she meant... :wink:

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Aug Fri 27, 2010 7:56 pm

NaCler wrote:
Amy wrote:That is an interesting perspective from a mother of daughters 99Soulz...
Mousekedittos! I love WDW for myself, but whenever I see a super-cute little girl, I get all sad and fuzzy-hearted inside. I'd like to have a little girl, but sadly that's not in the cards.
I'm sorry, please don't ask me to elaborate.... :( :oops:

Moving on..... :shock:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Fri 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Blankety Blankety Blank!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sat 28, 2010 7:54 am

NaCler wrote:
Whoops! :oops: Sorry...yes, an interesting parent's perspective ~ there, how about that?!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Mon 30, 2010 12:23 am

mindflipper wrote: It's okay to leave an attraction sitting there dead - like EPCOT's WoL or 20K UTS at MK - but just to leave a giant area of cleared ground? I don't think even Disney would tolerate an eyesore like that. Clearing ground for hotel is one thing, but leaving a big undeveloped hole in the middle of a theme park is another.
That was on the back of my mind when posting earlier. I am a bit worried about the change in plans. As we have seen, Disney does not have a great track record. We can look at how long the 20K area went like it is. Secondly, they have the skyway terminals. We can head on over to EPCOT and take a look at the Odyssey, WoL, and Millenium all sitting empty. Finally a trip to DHS will show Sounds Dangerous (*seasonal*), and the empty space just behind Pixar Place.

99soulz, I really enjoyed reading your perspective. Especially from the fact that my family never had to worry about girls.
- Len90

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Aug Mon 30, 2010 9:31 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Finally a trip to DHS will show Sounds Dangerous (*seasonal*), and the empty space just behind Pixar Place.
Might want to clear Sounds Dangerous off the list as it is open until Star Tours reopens next year. With Toy Story Mania (reopens tomorrow) and Walt Disney: One Man's Dream (a few more months from what I hear) down for refurb, the park needs something open... :shock:
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.