What ride/attraction won't you ride?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: What ride/attraction won't you ride?

Post by mindflipper » Aug Fri 13, 2010 10:47 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Will never, ever if I can help it, go see the Tiki Room Under New Management. I hate that they changed out the original attraction and put in Iago and Zazu to attract kids. After I saw it once, I was done with it.

Also Speedway because it's stinky and not fun.
LOL! I went with some friends to MK once and just for a lark we went into the Tiki Room Under New Management. We were the only people there for that show. It was incredibly awful. There's times when things are so bad you laugh because it's that bad. This was not one of those times. We wondered how someone thought that was an improvement over the old show.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I have to agree, RnR is a very smoooth coaster and one of our fav. rides!

I will not ride Mission Space. We rode it when it first came out and was making people super sick (including me) then we rode the tamer version and it really lacks anything exciting. Def. not a repeat for me.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:31 pm

So...do you think I should ride the tame side first, and then the wild side? I don't tend to get sick on rides, but I am not sure about the enclosed space with 3 other people. Especially if one of them gets sick - ick!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Amy, I don't think either side is really enough to make you sick. The original version, before they had different "teams" was another story! I remember them telling you not to close your eyes otherwise you might become disoriented and pass out! There were also motion sickness bags on the ride! I was so freaked out at that point. Then you "blast" off and I remember my eyes kept wanting to go cross but I remembered I could not close them! We all felt sick after that ride, not a good time!

We've ridden both green and orange and I didn't get sick or feel like my eyes wanted to go cross! Maybe if you're leary, try the tamer side first. I forget what color that is?!

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Amy wrote:So...do you think I should ride the tame side first, and then the wild side? I don't tend to get sick on rides, but I am not sure about the enclosed space with 3 other people. Especially if one of them gets sick - ick!
I wouldn't worry about it. It's really not that bad. I think they've toned down the orange side as well from when it first opened. Unless you have a tendancy to get motion sickness you shouldn't have a problem. I personally think going on the teacups with any other full grown adult male with the same enthusiasm to spin as fast as humanly possible is waaaaaaaaay worse than M:S.

A good way to really ensure you don't get sick on M:S just in case you are "iffy" is to follow the instructions to the letter i.e. keep your head back, look ***forward**** at all times, and the biggest one keep your eyes OPEN! That's not to say you can't blink but if someone were to get scared and think closing their eyes would help them they'd be wrong. The pod is designed to trick your mind into thinking you're moving in various ways other than simply spinning very quickly- if you look away from the screen or close your eyes you will potentially disrupt that illusion and your brain will start to tell your body you're spinning instead of say flying forward through space. In a way it makes things worse as your brain/body try to reconcile the conflicting sensations and disorient you. I looked around during the ride when they first opened M:S and I was fine in terms of stomach fortitude (I don't get motion sick) but when I got off I was extremely dizzy and disoriented so I can understand how doing so when you are prone to motion sickness could be a bit of a disaster.

Now, back on topic- I will never ride the Speedway. Long, hot lines to ride crappy little go-karts every amusement park has. If there was no track I'd consider it, but as it is it's just a boring, boring ride. Also, no interest in Triceratop Spin, Aladdin, Dumbo though I'll still endure a line every now and then for the view from the Astro Orbiters. I've never been to Rafiki's Planet Watch either, no particular reason why I haven't been avoiding it just never had interest.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 13, 2010 12:45 pm

If there is not wait for the Speedway, we go! It takes me back to my childhood! :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 13, 2010 4:33 pm

boilerbabe wrote:If there is not wait for the Speedway, we go! It takes me back to my childhood! :D
That is why I like them! Mom gave them up a few years back since they are difficult for her to get in and out of. That is the saddest thing about aging I think is knowing you have to give up things for your own safety and well-being. She loves the Astro-Orbitors but they are just too hard to climb in and out of for her now... :(

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Fri 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:If there is not wait for the Speedway, we go! It takes me back to my childhood! :D
That is why I like them! Mom gave them up a few years back since they are difficult for her to get in and out of. That is the saddest thing about aging I think is knowing you have to give up things for your own safety and well-being. She loves the Astro-Orbitors but they are just too hard to climb in and out of for her now... :(

I'm sorry to hear that about your mom Amy. My mom suffers from an auto-immune disease. To look at her, you'd think she's perfectly o.k. just some arthritis in the hands. But, it's called Scleroderma. Her body won't stop producing scar tissue and it's very painful for her. So, on our mother/daugther trip, she wanted to ride the Speedway but I will be in control for her. 8-) She would not be able to steer. Come to think of it...I don't know that I will do that great of a job, the steering seems to be off on alot of those racers! It will be a wacky ride!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Fri 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Sorry to hear that about both your moms! They will be added to our PRAYERS!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

LITTLEBIT
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by LITTLEBIT » Aug Fri 13, 2010 10:32 pm

boilerbabe wrote:
Amy wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that about your mom Amy. My mom suffers from an auto-immune disease. To look at her, you'd think she's perfectly o.k. just some arthritis in the hands. But, it's called Scleroderma. Her body won't stop producing scar tissue and it's very painful for her. So, on our mother/daugther trip, she wanted to ride the Speedway but I will be in control for her. 8-) She would not be able to steer. Come to think of it...I don't know that I will do that great of a job, the steering seems to be off on alot of those racers! It will be a wacky ride!
Sorry to hear that about both of your moms. They are in my prayers.

It's hard when you see your parents age. My dad is only 58 but when we went on our trip in 2007, I noticed he was nursing his back a lot and just can't do all of the walking we used to. Thankfully he is a resident AP so he gets to see the World at his pace. Though we have suggested to him this trip to maybe rent an ECV on the day we go to Epcot.

And boilerbabe, you can tell your mom that you are taking her on "Boilerbabe's Wild Ride".

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Fri 13, 2010 11:07 pm

You might get a work-out on the Speedway trying to keep the car sort of going straight BB! Gosh your Mom is facing tough challenges isn't she?! I hope she'll be having good days while she is on the trip. And how great that you are getting to take a special Mother/daughter trip to see your friends!
Not all medical conditions are apparent just looking at people so I try to patient as possible since you never know. Even if someone doesn't have a physical disability they might just be having a rough day and you can be the one nice shiny point in their day.
That is nice LittleBit that your Dad can take his time. I wish we had that luxury but that is sort of why we are planning a little longer trip this time. I'm thinking we might end up needing to rent one of those ECVs or a wheelchair at least a few times during our trip but hopefully I'll remember my own "be patient" spiel I just made here and try not to rush...

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Aug Sat 14, 2010 6:17 am

The Teacups.

Going round and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around doesn't work well with me but my kids love it! :lol:

ChaChing
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by ChaChing » Aug Sat 14, 2010 8:05 am

Lion Sleeps Tonight wrote:Will never, ever if I can help it, go see the Tiki Room Under New Management. I hate that they changed out the original attraction and put in Iago and Zazu to attract kids. After I saw it once, I was done with it.
ICAM!!!! I love the Disneyland version and the first time I experienced the one in WDW I nearly cried. Half the fun of the Tiki Room is being able to sing along with the songs...anyway, I also won't ride Stitches Great Escape and I know I can't ride Mission Space (the extreme version) or the Tea Cups because as I've gotten older I can no longer handle these kind of spinning rides. I'm sick for hours and hours afterwards and it ruins the rest of my day.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Aug Sat 14, 2010 10:03 am

rphillips14 wrote:The Teacups.

Going round and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around doesn't work well with me but my kids love it! :lol:
Guess you'll never be experiencing a "teacup ride of awesome intenseness" with Len and me. :hatter_bounce:

The thing about the Tiki Room is that you can still see the old one. Yes, it's better, but the new one still has all the great technology. Yes, Iago looks like he was covered in a cheap shag rug, but you've got to love the 4 hosts and "the girls." Plus, the Tiki goddess is awesome to watch. There's some great AA technology in her movements.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Aug Sat 14, 2010 10:11 am

boilerbabe wrote:Come to think of it...I don't know that I will do that great of a job, the steering seems to be off on alot of those racers! It will be a wacky ride!
That's my memory of those little racer cars too...maybe the steering is intentionally off to make it wacky?