Disney begins work on 12th Monorail?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: Disney begins work on 12th Monorail?

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jun Wed 16, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks for all of this Monorail info---I never knew most of it.
Good stuff!

joeyflds
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by joeyflds » Jun Wed 16, 2010 8:42 am

Its a shame its so expensive to build out, id love to see the monorails hit all the parks and resorts, but thats not something any of us will probably see in our life time.

Maybe a light rail system would work? After all, trains are one of things that made Walt think about building Disneyland.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 16, 2010 12:46 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I bought this shirt when I saw it at the Bou-Tiki in '07! I get strange looks from people, but then there will be a Disney person every now and again that will get it!

You can buy it online now, it's one of the "park" items they sell through the Disney Store now! I ordered one for my cousin's birthday back in April!
I am going to have to look for this online! It is just one of those quotes that brings you right back to Disney whenever you hear it :D

greendoor678
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by greendoor678 » Jun Wed 16, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't care if its a men's tshirt...I have it and its one of my favorites of all time.

seanf125
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by seanf125 » Jun Wed 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I got it for my girlfriend blackfroggy, a former monorail pilot. Later, she bought herself the hat. Funny thing is, she cannot say it for the life of her. She gets past por favor and then it just dissolves.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 17, 2010 6:24 am

seanf125 wrote:I got it for my girlfriend blackfroggy, a former monorail pilot. Later, she bought herself the hat. Funny thing is, she cannot say it for the life of her. She gets past por favor and then it just dissolves.
I have a real problem pronouncing the words as well :roll: :( But it is fun to try to say :D

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Thu 17, 2010 7:16 am

seanf125 wrote:I'm a WDW Cast Member, working in the Strollers-Wheelchairs-ECVs department at Magic Kingdom.
strollers... $31/day... grrrrrr... Just kidding bud...

Maybe you can help us with a mini-discussion we had on another thread. What is the cost to rent an ECV all day for one park? What is the security deposit? How about for a wheelchair? We already know the stroller prices... grrrr.... :D

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Thu 17, 2010 3:00 pm

That monorail shirt still rubs me the wrong way. It has Sleeping Beauty Castle on it...but "Walt Disney World" at the bottom. The Disney Company should have known better than to make a mistake like that.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Thu 17, 2010 7:45 pm

I agree about that observation BIG...especially since that phrase is not used at DL!!!!

It took me forever to learn the pronunciation of the words...it basically happened when I saw the words printed out and listened to the audio. Now I can't stop saying it!!!

(just like "permanecer sentados por favor" from the Matterhorn)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 17, 2010 8:41 pm

MmeLeota wrote:I agree about that observation BIG...especially since that phrase is not used at DL!!!!

It took me forever to learn the pronunciation of the words...it basically happened when I saw the words printed out and listened to the audio. Now I can't stop saying it!!!

(just like "permanecer sentados por favor" from the Matterhorn)
It does make you wonder why they wouldn't have caught that with the castle!
I guess seeing the words does help but I still have problems pronouncing the whole silly phrase ~ they just didn't have Spanish as a language option when I was in high school :( German doesn't sound nearly as cool!
And the Japanese I studied in college doesn't help much with the pronunciation either :shock:
(but here it is just for fun :D ) してくださいドアを明確に立って

seanf125

Post by seanf125 » Jun Thu 17, 2010 11:22 pm

NaCler wrote:
seanf125 wrote:I'm a WDW Cast Member, working in the Strollers-Wheelchairs-ECVs department at Magic Kingdom.

Maybe you can help us with a mini-discussion we had on another thread. What is the cost to rent an ECV all day for one park? What is the security deposit? How about for a wheelchair? We already know the stroller prices... grrrr.... :D
$31 just for the double. Get a single and make the kids take turns, heh! And if you do multiple days, it goes all the way down to $27 a day! Just giving them away! Yeah, they are a bit pricey, but it's the whole cost of convenience thing.

ECVs are $50 + $20 deposit on the key. You pay $70 at rental, and get $20 back when you return the key and the contract. You can't get them for multiple days, just one day at a time. Wheelchairs are $12 for 1 day or $10 a day for multiple days. No deposit on those, like the strollers. 1 park or all 4 parks makes no difference, any rental is for all day and good at all 4 parks (as long as the next park you are going to HAS them available).

Might the debate have anything to do with the WDW Guest Relations website? It has incorrect prices listed for both the wheelchairs and ECVs. We've notified Guest Relations of the problem, but the website hasn't been changed. The correct prices are posted at the rental locations, and are programmed into the register.

To review:
STROLLERS - $15 for 1 day for single, $31 for 1 day for double. $13 a day single multiple days, $27 a day double multiple days.
WHEELCHAIRS - $12 for 1 day. $10 a day multiple days.
ECVs - $50 + $20 Deposit for 1 day. No multiple day rental. Return key and contract to get $20 back.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Fri 18, 2010 12:40 am

seanf125 wrote:
NaCler wrote:

$31 just for the double. Get a single and make the kids take turns, heh! And if you do multiple days, it goes all the way down to $27 a day! Just giving them away! Yeah, they are a bit pricey, but it's the whole cost of convenience thing.

ECVs are $50 + $20 deposit on the key. You pay $70 at rental, and get $20 back when you return the key and the contract. You can't get them for multiple days, just one day at a time. Wheelchairs are $12 for 1 day or $10 a day for multiple days. No deposit on those, like the strollers. 1 park or all 4 parks makes no difference, any rental is for all day and good at all 4 parks (as long as the next park you are going to HAS them available).

Might the debate have anything to do with the WDW Guest Relations website? It has incorrect prices listed for both the wheelchairs and ECVs. We've notified Guest Relations of the problem, but the website hasn't been changed. The correct prices are posted at the rental locations, and are programmed into the register.

To review:
STROLLERS - $15 for 1 day for single, $31 for 1 day for double. $13 a day single multiple days, $27 a day double multiple days.
ECVs - $50 + $20 Deposit for 1 day. No multiple day rental. Return key and contract to get $20 back.
Ok, I wasn't going to ask this...but since the prices have been listed, I have a question regarding wheelchairs. I see you mentioned that it is $10/day when rented for multiple days. Do you turn in the chair every time you park hop or can the chair go with you from park to park? If say I rented a wheelchair for 5 days...do I turn it in every evening or can the chair be taken back to our resort and used for all 5 days then turned in at the end of our stay?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 18, 2010 6:24 am

MmeLeota wrote:
seanf125 wrote: To review:
Ok, I wasn't going to ask this...but since the prices have been listed, I have a question regarding wheelchairs. I see you mentioned that it is $10/day when rented for multiple days. Do you turn in the chair every time you park hop or can the chair go with you from park to park? If say I rented a wheelchair for 5 days...do I turn it in every evening or can the chair be taken back to our resort and used for all 5 days then turned in at the end of our stay?
Thanks for the info seanf125.
MmeLeota, it sounds like the wheelchairs stay in the park and you have to pick up a new chair if you park hop, that is the drawback since they might be out of chairs at a different park. I know on the WDW website they mention something about renting a wheelchair for use at the hotel but I don't know that you can use them in the park as well. It also mentions that if you want to guarantee a rental for your length of stay that you should make arrangements with a local rental company.
I am watching this as well since I think my Mom will have to have some sort of assist if we are able to make it down there for the meet-up in December. And those ECV rentals are just too pricey for an extended stay...
Last edited by Amy on Jun Fri 18, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jun Fri 18, 2010 8:32 am

I guess I am an expert on this one... grrr... When you rent a stroller or wheelchair for multiple days, they attach your receipt to a corresponding number of cards (i.e. if you rent for 5 days, they staple 5 cards to your receipt). When you go to the park to get your wheelchair they stamp one of the cards with a date stamp. They don't care what you do with the wheelchair or stroller after that. We usually give our stroller away by the end of the day (*jedi mind wave* seanf125, you didn't see that last comment). If you go to another park that day, they see your stamp and give you a wheelchair for that park, etc... But no, unfortunately you can't take it with you.

And seanf125 I'm only kidding about the prices of the strollers. I choose to pay the $31/day because I don't feel like hauling one around on the buses before and after we go to the parks. It saves space on the bus, plus one of the kids are bound to fall asleep on the ride back and it's tough to carry a sleeping kid in one hand and the stroller in another while standing on a crowded bus.

greendoor678

Post by greendoor678 » Jun Fri 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Tshirt: I am not a true Disney fan because I never noticed it was Sleeping Beauty's castle! Though, I have no problem pronouncing the phrase; maybe because so much is bilingual in Texas now.

Strollers: A perk of the Disney Visa Rewards card is 1/2 price on stroller rentals----but only at DL. :(