Splitting Meals on the Dining Plan

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Splitting Meals on the Dining Plan

Post by theBIGyowski » May Mon 24, 2010 10:57 am

My DF is a light eater...so she has been a little worried about eating at WDW. The reason is because we will have the standard Disney Dining Plan...it will be free while we're there so why not take advantage of it? My question though is...would it be possible to use one Table Service credit if we split a larger entree and dessert? Like I said...my DF is a light eater and when you throw dessert into the mix...some of the TS restaurants can give you enough food for two people. This could also allow us to try more of the TS places throughout the World while we are there. I know we won't have any problems doing this with our CS meals...just wondering about the TS places. :D

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Splitting Meals on the Dining Plan

Post by Amy » May Mon 24, 2010 11:31 am

theBIGyowski wrote:My DF is a light eater...so she has been a little worried about eating at WDW. The reason is because we will have the standard Disney Dining Plan...it will be free while we're there so why not take advantage of it? My question though is...would it be possible to use one Table Service credit if we split a larger entree and dessert? Like I said...my DF is a light eater and when you throw dessert into the mix...some of the TS restaurants can give you enough food for two people. This could also allow us to try more of the TS places throughout the World while we are there. I know we won't have any problems doing this with our CS meals...just wondering about the TS places. :D
Oh! I am interested in replies to this one too! My Mom and I always have way too much food and are sad because we have no way to take the leftovers, keep them cold, or reheat them...and you must have room for dessert! I'm betting they won't let you do it though :(

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Mon 24, 2010 11:34 am

We had the dining plan when we were on our honeymoon as well and it was way too much food! To my knowledge you cannot split your dining. Or at least we could not when we honeymooned, this was in Dec. '06. I don't eat nearly as much as my DH, and it was too much food for me!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Mon 24, 2010 12:31 pm

If you do try to split, the Queen of Hearts comes running out of the kitchen screaming, "Off with their heads! Off with their heads!" Some of her cards will then take you prisoner and haul you off to the dungeon...or some kind of experience that will feel about the same... :wink:

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Mon 24, 2010 2:18 pm

mindflipper wrote:If you do try to split, the Queen of Hearts comes running out of the kitchen screaming, "Off with their heads! Off with their heads!" Some of her cards will then take you prisoner and haul you off to the dungeon...or some kind of experience that will feel about the same... :wink:
:lol: That's great mindflipper! We should use that one in our story thread... ;)

I don't know a whole lot about the logistics of the dining plan, so unfortunately I cannot offer any input. :?

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » May Mon 24, 2010 5:43 pm

mindflipper wrote:If you do try to split, the Queen of Hearts comes running out of the kitchen screaming, "Off with their heads! Off with their heads!" Some of her cards will then take you prisoner and haul you off to the dungeon...or some kind of experience that will feel about the same... :wink:
Hilarious!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Oh my goodness mindflipper - you do have a flair with words! Time for you to mindflip your way over to the story with thread...

RREng77
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by RREng77 » May Tue 25, 2010 9:20 pm

We split a meal at Rose & Crown with little resistance back in 2002. Since then, most of our TS meals have been spent on character buffets, so I don't know if there have been any rule changes since then.
To do the improbable, we first have to dream the impossible.

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7058/userbar646708dw8.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3340/userbar646714dx9.gif[/img][/url]

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » May Mon 31, 2010 7:35 pm

This is from the official Disney dining plan guide. "You may not redeem meals or snacks for any Guests who are not on
your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan." The only people who can share :( "The Disney Deluxe Dining Plan is unavailable for Guests under the
age of 3, but they may share from an adult plate at no charge, or a
meal may be purchased from the menu. The price of the meal will
be added to your bill. Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s
menu where available."

Sockdoodle
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by Sockdoodle » Jun Wed 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Neat info mousefan! However, I think the question was if two people can share if both ARE on the dining plan - for one meal, use person A's credit and share the meal and for the second meal, use B's credit and share the meal. This way, you can try twice as many places!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Wed 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Sockdoodle wrote:Neat info mousefan! However, I think the question was if two people can share if both ARE on the dining plan - for one meal, use person A's credit and share the meal and for the second meal, use B's credit and share the meal. This way, you can try twice as many places!
From Disney's perspective, it would be two tables consumed whereas if both ate a meal at the same time one table would be consumed. Not as efficient when they want to maximize revenue per table.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Wed 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Sockdoodle wrote:Neat info mousefan! However, I think the question was if two people can share if both ARE on the dining plan - for one meal, use person A's credit and share the meal and for the second meal, use B's credit and share the meal. This way, you can try twice as many places!
I can see this happening a little easier for a CS meal rather than a TS meal.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 02, 2010 7:38 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
I can see this happening a little easier for a CS meal rather than a TS meal.
I would say the CS meals are fair game if you want to split them. I doubt they are going table to table to check who is eating what food!

ChaChing
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by ChaChing » Jun Wed 02, 2010 10:11 pm

I don't know if this is still allowed but a couple years ago my sister and I went to WDW for a sister's getaway and we were on the regular Dining Plan (1TS, 1QS, 1Snack), and we were allowed to split a Table Service meal...but then my sister or I would order a separate appetizer or salad that we paid out of pocket and then split that as well. By doing this we then were able to use those saved extra TS credits to go to a few Signature Restaurants that use 2 credits per person without having to share those meals. We just made sure to ask our server in advance if they'd let us share, and I can't remember anyone telling us no.

greendoor678
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by greendoor678 » Jun Wed 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Table Service: Even if two people are on the dining plan and only one person orders a meal (to share) they reserve the right to not let you share it without using 2 credits. It will count as two table service credits even if one person doesn't order a meal. Buffets most certainly won't let you share because they won't let you share a buffet even if you aren't on the dining plan. ChaChing has a great suggestion so give it a try!

You could easily share a quick service and only use one credit. I like this idea.

My suggestions is to "double-up" on the quick service meals and share so you can go to some of the signature table services that require 2 credits (ex: Spirit of Aloha, Cinderella's Royal Table, Artist's Pointe at WL).