Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sun 27, 2009 3:32 pm

The smell of Canada when the Beaver Tails were there. :cry:

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

DisBeamer wrote:I love how so many of us seem to love that musty smell from Pirates (and I'm one of them, so I can legitimately find it amusing ;)). I mean, it's stale water and, I assume, mold. Shouldn't we -not- like it? :lol: Sense memory is a peculiar thing.

I read along time ago that they have a special refridgeration system that the water runs through to keep it from becoming stagnant. I always thought the smell came from just being in an enclosed space with "Florida water". I would think the cast members would get sick if it were mold, yuk! Also some of us that like to ride over and over. :D Absolutely love that smell though!

AVITWeb
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by AVITWeb » Sep Mon 28, 2009 11:54 am

It actually seems to be the infrastructure that the water runs through...If you notice, the smell is present at all of the parts to varying degrees. MK is the most pronounced, followed by EPCOT, DHS etc etc etc....I really think it just has to do with the pipes...

Knowing Disney, it is clean water, just not potable.
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3526/userbar468277hf6.gif[/img][/url]

mpwheat
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by mpwheat » Feb Mon 08, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm bringing this thread back because I have a very sensitive sniffer and am crazy about smells...

The Contemporary Resort has a wonderful, nostalgic scent...
The Monorail
The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street
Popcorn and cinnamon roasted nuts stalls...everywhere!

and many more...these are just a few...
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~ Walt Disney
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Mpwheat/userbar801734.gif[/img]

joeybTNU
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by joeybTNU » Feb Wed 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I love the smells in SOARIN', Pirates, Great Movie Ride has some great ones, and just walking through the shops on both sides of Main Street, U.S.A.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Wed 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Please be aware that some parts of WDW use reclaimed water in their irrigation systems. Reclaimed water is freshly processed sewage water that is diverted for irrigation instead of being returned rivers and streams. It is not potable (in other words, you can't drink it) and can have a smell. So if you're smelling something odd, it's not the pipes or mold, it's the water used to water the plants and grass.

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Feb Thu 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Ya I agree the smell of the water in Pirates and other water rides is great imo :D it's definitely the pipes or filtration system. I can almost liken it to the smell after a rain, but on a cold day. But on the ride it's very "concentrated" smell.

But my all time would be SSE Rome burning and second the orange smell from Horizons. But I agree with another person, forget who, that mentioned the smell of a fresh park, specifically for me Epcot, right when they open! To me I can almost smell the magic in the air! hehe
mindflipper wrote:Please be aware that some parts of WDW use reclaimed water in their irrigation systems. Reclaimed water is freshly processed sewage water that is diverted for irrigation instead of being returned rivers and streams. It is not potable (in other words, you can't drink it) and can have a smell. So if you're smelling something odd, it's not the pipes or mold, it's the water used to water the plants and grass.
Just a fact, reclaimed water is generally "safe" for drinking(at least in florida the water reclamation plants process the water back with EPA standards), but must be labeled due to the fact of where it's recently been and yada yada yada lol the funny smell is sulfur they add to the water for an extra deterrent from drinking and to make sure you know.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Thu 11, 2010 4:07 pm

I would not encourage anyone to drink reclaimed water (even though technically it should be safe), nor would I drink it myself. :wink: :?

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Feb Thu 11, 2010 7:34 pm

The ground (well) water in Southwest Fla is sulfur water! NASTY!!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

aboden

Post by aboden » Feb Thu 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Well I wouldn't either hehe, hey the stuff you learn in Environmental Science class in Florida. Oh and there's a fact about the favorite Plant City strawberrys but I ain't telling that one :wink:

Hey I know of a natural sulfur water stream close by here lol talk about strange :shock:

Hey besides Horizons wasn't there another ride that had the orange smell? Trying to think of which one but it's eluding me. Also it's nothing like that smell but anyone enter the TTC the back way through cast parking? During the orange blossom season there's a stretch of road which you run right by a orchard going toward cast parking, kind of interesting.

Edit: Could it have been in Dream Flight? And no I'm not thinking of Soarin' lol
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Feb Fri 12, 2010 12:50 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:The smell of Canada when the Beaver Tails were there. :cry:
Had one of those in Halifax Nova Scotia back in 2008. so good i still remember it!
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

MetalRage
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by MetalRage » Feb Fri 12, 2010 2:12 am

I always like the following smells

Water on water rides (pirates, splash mountain...)
The bakery on MainStreet
Spaceship Earth's burning Rome
Soarin'
Turkey Legs
Fireworks

I know there is more I like. Too tired to think lol
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Feb Fri 12, 2010 9:15 am

I have always wondered if the Main Street Bakery pumps that smell out onto the street in order to hook the passing tourists... :?

MetalRage

Post by MetalRage » Feb Fri 12, 2010 11:51 am

mindflipper wrote:I have always wondered if the Main Street Bakery pumps that smell out onto the street in order to hook the passing tourists... :?

I have wondered that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage." - Walt Disney :mickey3:

[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9147/userbar721338ez4.gif[/img][/url]

"We wants the redhead!"

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Feb Fri 12, 2010 2:00 pm

MetalRage wrote:
mindflipper wrote:I have always wondered if the Main Street Bakery pumps that smell out onto the street in order to hook the passing tourists... :?

I have wondered that as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
I wouldn't be surprised either....and I wouldn't be surprised if there were subliminal messages in the music either. (that was mentioned in a different topic)