What would you do with The Odyssey Restaurant?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

What would you do with The Odyssey Restaurant?

Post by missynole » Sep Wed 09, 2009 7:46 am

With everyone saying how much they miss The Odyssey, I wonder if anyone has any good ideas about how Disney could utilize that space. I might create a special character meal again - maybe with the fab 5 dressed in "transitional" clothes. For example, since it's located between FW and WS, you could have Minnie Mouse in a Mexican dress but Mickey Mouse in something futuristic from Mission Space. Kind of a connection between the two areas.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Sep Wed 09, 2009 8:18 am

Pizza, Epcot is the only park that does not have a pizza restaurant....sure there is that cart by test track, (when its open).

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Sep Wed 09, 2009 8:30 am

Pizza would be good, there was a Pizza joint in Communicore back in the day, it'd be nice to see it come back.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Future Guy
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Future Guy » Sep Wed 09, 2009 9:00 am

I would convert it into the type of restaurant that is strangely absent at most Disney parks: a medium-priced family establishment. Think about it; the restaurants clustered around Interstate exits fall into one of three categories: fast food, ethnic cusine (Chinese, Italian, etc.), and medium-priced family restaurants like Applebees, TGIFridays, Texas Roadhouse, or Chili's. The menu in every table-service restaurant in the parks steers waaay to far towards haute cusine, if you ask me. Look at the menu, every recognizable thing like a steak or a fish fillet is paired with some kind of chutney or compote or some other unfamiliar concoction taken from the Compendium of Hoity-Toity Dining.

I say turn the Odyssey into a family steakhouse-type place with recognizable menu items and that trademarked Disney themeing and service. Yeah, I know I'm an unsophisticated yokel, but I did not get this far in life by putting weird stuff in my mouth.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Sep Wed 09, 2009 9:14 am

Gross, TGIEpcot, that's all we need. If anything, it would be nice to have a restaurant that allows you to sample food from all the nations. As far as Chili's, or Texas roadhouse, you have to be very careful how you put something like that together without looking cheap. Plus if you come out with a medium-priced restaurant in a world of over-priced restaurants, you'll have to beat everybody off with a stick, no matter what the menu

Future Guy

Post by Future Guy » Sep Wed 09, 2009 9:45 am

Well, by Disney standards medium-priced means something like Le Cellier.

skull
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by skull » Sep Wed 09, 2009 10:50 am

I agree with future guy... There needs to be a resturant with a "normal" menu. I'm an extremly picky eater, and my wife is a somewhat picky eater. I'm sure I'd love most of the food at the resturants around the world, but I'll never eat at most of them, cause I have no idea really what they're talking about! haha...

We usually just end up at a quick service for every meal, unless we're at our hotel, where we eat the the hotel resturant... in our case, the pop... so basically the same thing as everywhere else in the resort!
[img]http://www.adamandshannan.info/skull/skullsm.jpg[/img]

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Sep Wed 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Future Guy wrote:Well, by Disney standards medium-priced means something like Le Cellier.
I don't think that's quite true. I think generally I see Le Cellier marked as a higher price restaurant.

I guess I just don't get what a "normal" restaurant means? Like boring? Aren't there tons of "normal" menus in WDW? Even in Epcot? I would say that generally the Garden Grill serves up rather "Normal" food. All of the counter service places are generally always made up of the usual suspects.

In and around the other parks you've got Liberty Tree Tavern, 50's Prime Time, and Sci-Fi Diner all sit-down and "normal." I guess I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Futureguy mentioned Chili's as being a different option than putting all these "hoity-toity" things in their menus but the last time I was there they all of these chipotle aiolis and stuff in half their menu. I guess I'm just confused.

kcarts

Post by kcarts » Sep Wed 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Make it a Hooter's.

FlatlandMounty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by FlatlandMounty » Sep Wed 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Perhaps it would be cool to see a pricing similar to Sci-fi with more of a lunch feel. Some International flavors. Rice and chicken, cous-cous, sushi, tacos, restaurant style hamburger, pasta dishes, steak and fish, fish and chips, pastries, and cheesecake.

A little something from every country, and a lot of selections for picky eaters, and mostly lunchy style foods in a sit-down setting.

Really, I'm fine with the Odyssey being closed, they're are so many great restaurants, if they would only build a fun, non-character dining in tomorrowland

missynole

Post by missynole » Sep Thu 10, 2009 6:34 am

What about a rotating theme restaurant of states from around the USA, kind of like what they do for Food and Wine. For example you could have a Louisiana restaurant with Cajun and Bayou cooking, shrimp, crawfish, catfish, etc. Then maybe in the winter they could switch it to something from the mid-west - I don't know what that would be since I'm born and raised in the South but I'm sure something with steak, etc.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Sep Thu 10, 2009 8:58 am

The Odyssey is truely in future world. And is very futuristic looking. So, that being said I would turn it into a restaurant of the future.

Call it the New Horizons... have it like the old Horizon's pavillion, there would be different rooms, with different themes. The future from the fifties, the sixties, and a current view of the future, what ever that may be. Make the servers wear outfits kind of like The Jetson's!

Make the menu all American fare, with theming names from the future for the food choices. And the music playing would be from the original Horizon's ride.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

missynole

Post by missynole » Sep Thu 10, 2009 10:43 am

cousininmiami wrote:The Odyssey is truely in future world. And is very futuristic looking. So, that being said I would turn it into a restaurant of the future.

Call it the New Horizons... have it like the old Horizon's pavillion, there would be different rooms, with different themes. The future from the fifties, the sixties, and a current view of the future, what ever that may be. Make the servers wear outfits kind of like The Jetson's!

Make the menu all American fare, with theming names from the future for the food choices. And the music playing would be from the original Horizon's ride.
WOW - Cousininmiami - that sounds like a great idea! :figment:

srik
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by srik » Sep Thu 10, 2009 12:08 pm

I say we put cousininmiami in charge!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Thu 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I just think they need to use that space for F&G and F&W and take that pressure off the WoL pavilion.... just sayin'.