All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

missynole
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Kali River Rapids Anyone?

Post by missynole » Aug Sun 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi there!
We're taking a quick trip to WDW over Labor Day weekend so that we can ride Kali River Rapids. I've never done it - Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Thanks!

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by noledawg » Aug Sun 02, 2009 3:47 pm

I've ridden it. I like it, but it's short. I'm sorry they couldn't follow through with the original plan - Tiger River Run or something like that - having the tigers along the path. I think they (the tigers) got completely spooked, so they had to change things up.
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Aug Sun 02, 2009 3:47 pm

I have heard that you get pretty wet, so you should take off your shoes, etc before you get on...or wear flip flops. It looks like fun. Is it a long walk to the attraction?

ericpabear
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by ericpabear » Aug Sun 02, 2009 5:23 pm

I haven't ridden this in a couple of years. I don't enjoy being wet from head to toe. Especially when you are in street clothes.
We use to wear our ponchos, but that got to be too much trouble. So we just avoid this ride.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 02, 2009 5:49 pm

It has been a while since I was at WDW but I remember enjoying Kali River Rapids. You do get very wet so it is nice if you have a poncho.

coasterfiend
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by coasterfiend » Aug Sun 02, 2009 6:09 pm

We all loved it - but it was a very hot day. You will get very wet.
I do recommend placing your shoes in the center bin unless you like walking in wet shoes. If I remember correctly they don't want you to take your shoes off before you're in the raft so be prepared to do it quickly, the same for putting them back on.
Enjoy it - we've laughed through the whole ride because just when you think you're not going to get wet . . .

swede375
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by swede375 » Aug Mon 03, 2009 8:29 am

I've ridden this a few times. With the way the ride moves it is random who will get the "wettest". I've gone through it twice in one day with minor wetness where others sitting across from me have gotten completely soaked. Either way you will get wet. No way around it.

On another trip I have been that person that has had to change afterward. It is a fun ride... I wish sometimes the line would go faster. I agree with coasterfiend - you laugh the entire way. :lol:
Hey... you never know.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Aug Mon 03, 2009 8:56 am

I don't like it, you get soaked! It's not fun being completely drenched, seriously you cound end up under a waterfall. Ponchos don't help, nothing does. Also it is very short compared to other rides. If you want a rapids ride, I suggest Typhoon Lagoon, where you are wearing a bathing suit!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Aug Mon 03, 2009 9:24 am

oh yeah, you could very well end up being soaked if you were the lucky winner of the waterfall tsumani. All the times I went on it I have been lucky enough to not be that person so just got partially wet so really enjoyed the ride. The person that gets the waterfall however, might as well buy all new clothes at the next merch store.

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Aug Mon 03, 2009 9:43 am

DD rode it over and over on a rainy EMH this past November with my mother in law. She was soaked but we all were from the rain. She loved it! I had more fun trying to hit them with the elephants from the bridge.

PureDisney

Post by PureDisney » Aug Mon 03, 2009 11:09 am

I went with my mother and sister. They got completely soaked and had to purchase towels. I luckily enough didn't get hardly anything. It is a fun ride, but wear a poncho is you want to stay dry.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Aug Mon 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Well, personally Kali doesn't do a whole lot for me, but being one of the few attractions at DAK I always ride it. It's not not-fun, it's just not even close to being even in the top five for rapid rides for me. There's a "story" to it sort of but I think that point is lost on most guests (I *think* it's the river reclaiming land in response to people responsible for de-forestation? I still haven't gotten it myself...) and as such there is really one scene if you will, but don't expect animatronics or anything like that. It's also a very short ride, which probably steals a decent percentage of its "ride-time" from going up a very slow incline (unless I'm confusing it with Popeye at IOA, but I think they both have it).

I've ridden it maybe 4-6 times and the only time I recall getting wet at ALL was this past November, when I convinced my g/f to ride w/ me despite it being like 50º as I told her "You don't get wet really" (same jinx that worked on Splash Mountain too) and of course we got soaked while everyone else on the boat got spat on. So of course on a 90º humid August day you walk off bone dry, but on a very chilly November day you get doused.

All in all it surprised me to see you are making a special trip to visit this attraction. Again, it's fun, it's just I think there are far superior river rapids rides at far inferior parks/chains. Personally, I think Popeye's beats Kali in virtually every department aside from the queue area and perhaps natural surroundings.

MW1218
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MW1218 » Aug Mon 03, 2009 2:26 pm

I agree with Mr. Toad 100%...if you're going down there JUST for Kali River Rapids, then I'd advise skipping it and going to Islands of Adventure at Universal to ride Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges. It blows it out of the water (no pun intended)

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Aug Mon 03, 2009 4:17 pm

I always love the KRR, you can get very wet which can be very nice on a hot Florida day. They do make you wear shoes on the ride so bringing a pair of flip-flops or crocks is a good idea if you dont want your normal shoes to get wet. We alway get out our ponchos and even though the ride is somewhat short we usually go in the value season and the lines are short so we go two or three times in a row. The nice thing is the randomness of the ride. You could get soaked or you may just get a bit wet, its different each time.

spodie
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by spodie » Aug Thu 06, 2009 3:07 pm

It's an OK ride - I don't ride it unless the wait is less than 30 min. If you do ride it, make sure you do it right before you go back to your room (so you can change), or wear clothes that are fast-drying.
~Ashleigh :minnie:

[img]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1260514670.jpg[/img]