Wifi?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

keneka
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by keneka » Aug Sun 02, 2009 2:10 am

the best wifi I got on my ipod touch was just outside cape may restaurant in Beach club

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Sun 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Yeah I think they do have some free wifi in the resort lobbys. I never checked on my phone though since there was no purpose for me to go on the Internet while down in the world.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Good to know that the iphone works well in the resort. I agree with those who say that you are too busy while on vacation to check your email but it is nice to have the option.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Mon 03, 2009 1:34 am

Amy wrote:Good to know that the iphone works well in the resort. I agree with those who say that you are too busy while on vacation to check your email but it is nice to have the option.
Not all vacations are the same. Right now I'm in Toronto Canada on the subsonic board! It almost makes me feel like I am in disney.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

cinderella75

Post by cinderella75 » Aug Wed 12, 2009 7:43 am

I dont care abou WIFI. Why have it honestly? When im on vacation I dont get on the internet at all except for getn my boardin pass from southwest. Other than that im on vacation with my family and enjoyin our time together. That is what vacation is for to bond and relax. No way work ever call me while im on vacation. Once I leave work I dont want to hear from work until I return. Everything I leave at home when Im on vacation will be there when I get back. :donald: :wave:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)

Figment of Imagination
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Figment of Imagination » Aug Sun 23, 2009 1:23 am

I don't need wifi, I've got a good enough cell phone.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Aug Sun 23, 2009 10:47 am

What? You guys aren't going to post to these forums on vacation? :D

Just a note about the connections in the rooms - be sure to check your bill at the end of your stay. We were charged double for the internet on two of the days we used it.

I have thought about bringing my laptop not for internet access, but maybe to play dvds (the moderate resorts don't have dvd players as far as I know) and also upload photos to the computer - not the internet - while I'm there. If I were to do a trip report, that's how I would do it, just type it all in while I'm there but not publish until I get back.

snugglyevil
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by snugglyevil » Aug Sun 23, 2009 11:56 am

I think the WiFi takes away from the fact you are supposed to be on vacation and away from the outside world. It annoys me to see people playing on the internet at restaurants or dragging their laptops places just so they can access email. It will all be there when you get to your room or go to the business center. Why have it invade a vacation? Add to it that it may disrupt communications or Disney daily business.

Sorry...my 2cents. heh
Audrey

keneka

Post by keneka » Nov Tue 10, 2009 9:31 am

I was disappointed how little wifi is available in disney, I found a good signal outside cape may's restaurant in the beach club and also mcdonalds in downtown

ctrain2281
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by ctrain2281 » Nov Tue 10, 2009 11:20 am

As wired as I am at work, home and even on work travel, when I am at Disney World, I could care less about getting on the internet, checking email, etc., strangely enough. However, I did hear that they were going to release an app for Ipod products that would give live updates as to fastpass distribution times, restaurant availabilities, etc. That might be worth having a wifi around the park!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Tue 10, 2009 4:45 pm

I don't care about the outside world when I'm at WDW!! They can shut the phones off, except for reservations!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Tue 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I don't care about the outside world when I'm at WDW!! They can shut the phones off, except for reservations!
I feel the same way. When I am on vacation I don't want to hear from the rest of the world. I loved turning my iPhone off while I was in Toronto. Not only was I saving myself from costly roaming costs if I got a single text message or wrong number call, I was escaping from everybody else.

As for Disney Wifi, I don't like the idea of putting wifi in the theme parks. I really don't see the purpose to be on your smart phone, iPod, or whatever you have surfing the web. There is, in my opinion, no point to going away then. I do believe all deluxe resorts have wifi in the lobbies which is probably why you picked up a signal at Cape May.
- Len90

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Wed 11, 2009 12:11 am

I love disconnecting from the real world when we're at WDW! I figure I'll deal with whatever when I return. That's why they're called vacations!!!! :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Wed 11, 2009 12:45 am

...however, I can see why some want to be "connected" - family medical emergencies, pet emergencies, other family emergencies/disaster, etc. Also, I can see some uses for wifi: change/verify airline travel, check on pets (one local pet boarding facility here in town offers internet streaming vid for people to check on their pets), making/changing WDW dining reservations, etc.

And for people truely addicted to the internet, there are those who have to tweet or post on facebook every 15 minutes. :roll:

I go with the whole "vacation" mentality too, but I also realize as ideal the world is in WDW, its not outside WDW - so I keep my phone on vibrate just to be safe.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Wed 11, 2009 2:04 am

mindflipper wrote:...however, I can see why some want to be "connected" - family medical emergencies, pet emergencies, other family emergencies/disaster, etc. Also, I can see some uses for wifi: change/verify airline travel, check on pets (one local pet boarding facility here in town offers internet streaming vid for people to check on their pets), making/changing WDW dining reservations, etc.

And for people truely addicted to the internet, there are those who have to tweet or post on facebook every 15 minutes. :roll:

I go with the whole "vacation" mentality too, but I also realize as ideal the world is in WDW, its not outside WDW - so I keep my phone on vibrate just to be safe.
You make some valid points, but for pretty much every scenario that you listed there is an easy non high tech solution! The concierge or front desk at your resort 9 out of 10 times (don't want to say always) will be more than happy to either check you in or let you run on a computer to print out your boarding passes. If not, then the Magical Express counter could also help you out. As for the emergencies, if people need you that badly, before traveling you leave somebody the number to the hotel front desk and if they can always get through to your room. As for dining, that can be done from the resort phone, guest services, or many other locations in the parks. As for the pet boarding, I can't answer that.

Finally, those who live on their phones posting on twitter and facebook. I really don't like those people because they are, to me, showing off. I can understand once in a while, but every 30 minutes is insane. I know that I usually did a quick check of everything on my phone when we were on the Friendship or bus back to the resort. It is a nice way to keep you entertained during that down time between the parks and your room.

Also, don't forget my main reason for bringing the computer. Backing up your pictures. Seriously, memory cards are not fool proof. I have had one fail on me and I lost a couple of hundred pictures. It is very saddening and I don't want anyone else to lose pictures. It takes 5 minutes every night, but it could end up saving you so much!
- Len90