I Had Fun With Farley!

Disneyland and California Adventure parks

Moderator: Moderators

ZenMondo
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

I Had Fun With Farley!

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Tue 13, 2015 11:41 am

Yesterday marked one year since my fiancee and I started going to Disneyland together. We are still discovering these fun little things one can do at Disneyland, and yesterday we discovered one of those gems that was not known to us.

We were taking that "back route" from Big Thunder Mountain to Fantasyland, and right near the ranch which was closed was this cowboy playing a fiddle. All the guests seemed to be just ignoring him. But I stopped, and walked up to listen. He just lit up exclaiming, "you stopped!" and I replied "of course I did, you are awesome!"

He then regaled us with corny jokes, asking us to tell him jokes, playing his fiddle the whole time. And since we stopped a few others did as well, including a little princess having a birthday. She forgot her birthday button at the hotel, but this cowboy had a replacement for her!

He often asks where people are from, and when someone said, "right here" he exclaimed "You are from Frontierland? I am from Frontierland, its strange I never saw you around before!" And sure enough his nametag read "Farley" and his hometown listed was indeed "Frontierland".

The best part is at the end, he gave stickers to everyone that said "I HAD FUN WITH FARLEY" with a little picture of him playing his fiddle.

It was a fantastic little encounter I did not expect! Another magic day in the magic kingdom.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: I Had Fun With Farley!

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 13, 2015 9:19 pm

How cool! That has to be one of the more awesome things about living close to a park, or being able to go frequently, that you can stop and enjoy some of the more hidden gems of the park!
Sounds like you made Farley's day too!

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Tue 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Well I live about 5 or 6 hours away depending on traffic, but it is close enough that I can go several times in a year. In 2014 we spent 26 days at the Parks. We are just about 2 weeks into 2015 and we are up to 4 days. :) I saw Farley today as well, and he remembered me. I found him on Facebook this morning and he acknowledged that he saw the comment I left.

Farley really is a treasure.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 14, 2015 8:16 am

ZenMondo wrote:Well I live about 5 or 6 hours away depending on traffic, but it is close enough that I can go several times in a year. In 2014 we spent 26 days at the Parks. We are just about 2 weeks into 2015 and we are up to 4 days. :) I saw Farley today as well, and he remembered me. I found him on Facebook this morning and he acknowledged that he saw the comment I left.

Farley really is a treasure.
How fun that he remembered you ~ that is a mark of a true professional that takes the time to notice people and remember them!

bcgm3
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Stuff like this makes me want to get out to Walt's park all the more. I've lived within an hour of Disney World property my whole life, gone countless times, and it's always fantastic -- But I get the feeling from what I see online that Disneyland has so many more finishing touches that make every visit so much more personal and unique. One of these days. Great story!

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Fri 16, 2015 5:20 pm

bcgm3 wrote:Stuff like this makes me want to get out to Walt's park all the more. I've lived within an hour of Disney World property my whole life, gone countless times, and it's always fantastic -- But I get the feeling from what I see online that Disneyland has so many more finishing touches that make every visit so much more personal and unique. One of these days. Great story!
I guess bigger does not mean better. It is within the realm of possibility that I will visit Walt Disney World for the first time in the next 2-5 years or so. I must admit, that I am actually quite ignorant of what that resort has to offer, but am very knowledgable about Disneyland and its history, and its present. But even so, I am still learning new things all the time, including little things like Farley the Fiddler.

But I have to wonder, maybe with Disneyland's smaller footprint, the "resolution" is finer. More attention paid to the small details instead of focusing on the "big picture" that they might do at Florida.

bcgm3

Post by bcgm3 » Jan Sat 17, 2015 9:37 am

Like quantity versus quality? That's the idea I get. I'll have to get out to the west coast sometime, and we can compare notes :).

ZenMondo

Post by ZenMondo » Jan Sat 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Indeed! I am always happy to meet new friends, especially at Disneyland! From the reading and video watching I have been doing, I gotta be honest, the SIZE of Walt Disney World seems a bit overwhelming to me, where at Disneyland it is possible (but tiring) to walk from one sinde of the property to the other in a shortish amount of time.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 17, 2015 6:02 pm

ZenMondo wrote:Indeed! I am always happy to meet new friends, especially at Disneyland! From the reading and video watching I have been doing, I gotta be honest, the SIZE of Walt Disney World seems a bit overwhelming to me, where at Disneyland it is possible (but tiring) to walk from one sinde of the property to the other in a shortish amount of time.
As long as you are prepared for the walking, WDW is definitely doable ~ and you can walk from one side of one park to the other side of the same park in a reasonable amount of time, and between EPCOT and DHS is not that far on foor, but you sure can't simply park hop across the plaza like you do from DL to DCA.